Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 29, 2012, 10:14 AM
Rookie

Thumbs up My first build: Final revisions-Help&Advice (budget build)

After many posts and research, I think that I've found what will ultimately become my first custom build. Although I can afford what follows, I am on a tight budget so saving anywhere I can is very feasible. I'm not saying that I must cut certain corners, so if you think that paying a little extra cash for something is worth it, then I will consider keeping it. Thank to whoever reads and/or answers this. c:

Budget: Ideally $650 (preferably less).

Intended PC use: Chrome web-browsing with many tabs, YouTube, Gaming, Office applications, watching movies & shows, Photoshop, multitasking between these programs, etc (all in 1920 x 1080 resolution). I also want the computer to be ready for upgrades in the future.

Build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($197.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $650.47
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Questions/Misc

I know I can save on...

the PSU:
I know that It's more wattage than I need, but I want to be able to upgrade. If I go non-modular, I am sure I can save some money. Is going modular worth the extra cost?

the case:
I know I could easily save money by downgrading it to the regular three hundred, but is the "two" version worth it? If I downgraded, what will I do about the 3.0 USB ports?

the CPU:
I could instead use the Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($190.39 @ NCIX US) to save a bit, but I would lose the ability to overclock. Although I really have no idea how beneficial overclocking is, I would like the ability to do it. Is having the ability to overclock worth the extra cash, or should I just go with the 3470 to save a bit?

So what do you think? Anywhere else I can/should save? Opinions, advice, recommendations?

*TLDR*: Does my build look fine? I intend on buying an aftermarket CPU cooler in the future, as well as an SSD. Anywhere I can save?

I really appreciate you taking the time to read this and perhaps answer some of my questions! Thank you and have a great day.
Old September 29, 2012, 10:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Don't have much time to comment, but a big point for you is that you need a K CPU and a motherboard that supports OC in order to do it (the MOB you selected does not). You need a Z68 or Z77 motherboard in order to overclock...not and H based motherboard.
Old September 29, 2012, 01:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HigginsHere View Post
You can't overclock the CPU on an H77 motherboard. You need a Z77, (EDIT: Z75), Z68, or a P67 to overclock. Either go to an overclockable motherboard or return to that 3470 Ivy you were talking about.

On a Sandy / Ivy platform an overclock isn't a "requirement" by any standards. Every game that has some decent programming would be able to deliver playable frames per second on a stock quad core Ivy Bridge, pretty much because they have to - nothing beats those CPUs in performance/clock at the moment.
(The same can't be said if you're using an AMD CPU.)
Old September 29, 2012, 07:54 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

In contrast to the posts above, there are overclocking options available on H77 boards.
Reference
You can do so with Ivy Bridge/3rd Generation "K" procs, but nothing else. Also you're not guaranteed control over voltages.
So it's not impossible, but it certainly has its limits.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:56 AM
Rookie

If you want to be able to have usb 3.0 you can get an internal hub or to save money you could also get an antec one

Tags
antec , final , first build , gaming build , intel