Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 25, 2012, 12:52 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Technically yes. Ideally yes. Realistically....maybe. It would be easy for Intel drivers to query the controller to see what chipset revision it is and then allow or deny additional features based on the answer...just like the toolbox wont work with non-intel firmware equipped SSDs. In all likelihood you should get trim. But there aint no guarantees beyond the 7 series. Honestly if you own two SSDs already...try it and see what happens. Otherwise, dont bother. Not a fan of Raid 0 w/ 2 SSDs. IMHO it doesnt really start to pay for itself until you hit three or four drives.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 25, 2012, 07:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I ran some tests this evening and I believe that TRIM is working on my system with two SSDs in RAID 0. This is on a P8P67 PRO board with a modded bios where I injected orom 11.0.0.1124. I then installed RST driver 11.2.0.1006. I created a raid 0 array with two OCZ SSDs. I ran PCmark Vantage HDD suite as well as PCMARK05 HDD Suite on the empty array and recorded the results. Then I filled the array to ~30% with random data. I then ran both suites again and recorded the results (around 78% of the check). I then Deleted the data on the array and ran the suites again followed by recording the data. The performance returned to 99% of the check which is within margin of error.

My metodolgy was inspired by this site SSD RAID 0 TRIM Confirmed - Dreams Do Come True They too were testing TRIM with RAID 0. If I messed something up please point it out.

I am happy. I am convinced TRIM is working on my setup.
Old September 30, 2012, 03:22 PM
MVP

My System Specs

how to check if TRIM in win 7 is working

Have a peak at this, u should be able to test it out for sure with a few commands and see what value are set
Old September 30, 2012, 03:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasrott View Post
how to check if TRIM in win 7 is working

Have a peak at this, u should be able to test it out for sure with a few commands and see what value are set
Unfortunately, unless something has changed, all that will tell you is if the OS is trim capable, and if you scroll down a bit further there's a test to see if the SSD is trim capable. Neither of those ensures that the trim command is being passed from the OS through the chipset drivers to the Drive.

In order to have trim working you require 3 things... trim capable OS, Trim capable chipset drivers, and a trim capable SSD. Just like the HDPC content component handshake, if any one of those three features isn't present you will not be able to perform trim.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 1, 2012, 06:02 PM
MVP

My System Specs

So how is the third portion os to chipset tested? Am on the newest chip set but still would like to verify
Old October 1, 2012, 06:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasrott View Post
So how is the third portion os to chipset tested? Am on the newest chip set but still would like to verify
AFAIK the only true test (and I'm sure AKG will chime in here) is to physically "dirty" the drive to the point where benchmarks verify it's underperforming and then allow trim to do it's thing. How you determine if it's trim or the internal garbage collecting is beyond me.

This is the issue we ran into when we couldn't get a clear answer from AMD WRT trim on their chipsets... there was no real way of testing / verifying.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 2, 2012, 09:40 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Were I reinstall my os on what seems like a regular base's would that alleviate the need for this trim. Say 6 months max have my os and then redo it all from scracth.
Old October 2, 2012, 11:43 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

No. Simply 'deleting' the data and even nuking the partition will not clean the drive. It WILL clean it IF the TRIM command is sent but if you are in a non-TRIM environment nuking and starting from scratch wont make a lick of difference. You need to add in an extra step: sanitary erase. This nukes the drive and brings it back to a clean state.

The only real way to tell if TRIM is working is to hammer it until test results come back with mega drop in WRITE performance. Then immediately do a quick format, and then retest. The longer you take between step 1 and step 2...the less valid the results as 'BGGC' / 'ITGC' can be very aggressive and effective on some drives. However, it does shorten their life AND where you are using SF2281 based drive...it makes proper testing royal PITA. Trust me...its a hassle...that can give incorrect results just as easily as correct results.

Honestly, you are using an Intel Z77 mobo. So TRIM is almost a given (its really only AMD that seemed to have major issues getting SIMPLE things like trim 'right'). Set your rig to AHCI mode, install windows, install Intel RST drivers....BINGO. You now have TRIM....even if you RAID your SSDs (on the mobo's Intel PCH controller). ;)

If by some wonky turn of events you notice the rig getting sloooow. Then yeah nuke and start from scratch (as the drivers got messed up)...BUT pull the drive and run the OCZ toolbox on a dif rig and do sani erase that is built into the toolbox (according to your sig you have Vertex 3 ssds). This will clean the drive.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 2, 2012, 08:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thx akg didn't realize it was so complicated will pick up the ocz toolbox and use it next round

Tags
raid 0 , ssd