Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2012, 01:50 PM
Rookie

Default New gaming system

Hey! I'm planing on buying a new machine, since mine is already outdated, and would really like your help and insight.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
I'd like to use this machine for gaming on the newest games with highest settings. I want the performances of softwares and Windows to be smooth. Also for media uses, like FHD movies with high video bitrate.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
-Does this include taxes, shipping, extended warranty coverage, etc. What isn't included in your budget and you have a separate budget for?
700$-950$.(not including a GPU - further explanation down the road.)

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Israel.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
I would like an Intel processor.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
-This includes re-using peripherals such as a monitor, keyboard+mouse, speakers, your copy of an OS (i.e. windows retail version).
I already have Windows 7, a monitor with speakers, keyboard and a mouse that I'll be using. I have 2 HDDs with 1.5TB of storage space and a DVD-RW that I'll be using.
Also, I have a SAPPHIRE HD6950 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E already, and I believe that, for the time being, it is enough.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
-If you have, what conclusions have you drawn so far. If you haven't, why not (maybe just intimidating)?
I set up a build up, and I'd like to know if it will be answering my demands, and if it won't, what components should I change:
Quote:
CPU: INTEL 3570K : IVY BRIDGE, CORE I5, S1155, 3.4Ghz - TRAY
CPU Fan: SCYTHE MUGEN III REVB
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H
GPU: SAPPHIRE HD6950 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E (already have it)
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 8192MB (4096MBX2) : 1600, CL9 : CMX8GX3M2B1600C9
Case: GIGABYTE LUXO GZ-G1 PLUS (120mmX2 + USB3) w/o PSU
PSU: SEASONIC 650W SS-650JT SS-550JT
7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
-If you plan to over-clock, what are your expectations and current experience level? What do you want your experience level to be after you finish your over-clock?
I do plan on overclocking. Experience level on overclocking, you mean? If yes, then none - I've never overclocked before, but would like to know how to do it right.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
-Have you bought any parts yet, when are you starting to buy parts and when do you want to physically be putting it together?
I plant to buy and put it together in the next two weeks.

9. What resolution and settings do you use?
-If this is for gaming, tell us what resolution and the settings you wish to have in games (max everything, high, medium, or low). Do you turn AA on and do you care about gaming technology with PhysX, CUDA, eyfinity, 3D, etc?
I would like to run games on max settings and 1080p resolution. I do turn on AA and don't know much about the gaming technologies specified above, but am interested.

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
-Is there something you don't want to go without? USB 3.0 support, wifi n, SSD (solid state drives), blu-ray support, SATA3 6.0Gb/s, Super quiet case (low noise system), all-in-one memory card reader, specific front panel support? Those are just a few examples. If you aren't sure, but know you want to have 'the latest and greatest support' then just say so.
I want to have 'the latest and greatest support'!

Last edited by YairGOW; September 21, 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old September 24, 2012, 07:33 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Looks solid, my friend. I built a similar one for a friend very recently. You got a more than capable build for the time being; that said, the 6950 gives me some pause. It's still quite a decent card, but if you're playing max settings on current games like BF3, you may not be fully satisfied with the FPS, which should be around the 45-50 mark.

Still, it's tough to suggest to someone who already owns one to pony up for a 7950 or a 670 ($310 and $390 respectively) for a not-too-huge upgrade.

I would either:
1) Sell the 6950 and go big for a 7970 ($410)
2) Add an SSD to make everything else go fast

Good luck!
Old September 25, 2012, 04:31 PM
Rookie

Throw in an SSD in that system. Otherwise it looks really nice :)
Old September 25, 2012, 05:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

the d3h motherboard is low on options, but as long as it has everything you need it is fine.

Otherwise good choices and the 6950 likely will be fine, but that is easy enough to upgrade later if it becomes and issue.
Old September 26, 2012, 02:27 AM
Rookie

upgrade the 6950 if you can, it'd be better on high resolutions with better fps, seeing since this is a gaming system.
Old October 9, 2012, 12:32 PM
Rookie

Sorry, for not responding. It's been some time and this is probably the final build: Intel Core i5-3570K, Sapphire Radeon HD 6950, Cooler Master Storm Sniper - System Build - PCPartPicker
My budget got quite bigger, so I could afford better hardware.

About the 6950, I decided to try it out, and if it won't work for me like I want it to, I'll take the Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce OC Edition: GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - NVIDIA - PCI Express Solution - GeForce 600 Series - GV-N670OC-2GD

I bel
Old October 9, 2012, 03:46 PM
Rookie

Sorry for not responding. It's been quite some time and my build changed quite a lot:
Intel Core i5-3570K, Sapphire Radeon HD 6950, Cooler Master Storm Sniper - System Build - PCPartPicker

As for the 6950, I decide to try it out and see if it answers all my needs. If it doesn't, then I'm gonna buy the Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce OC Edition:
GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - NVIDIA - PCI Express Solution - GeForce 600 Series - GV-N670OC-2GD

So, what do you guys think?

Last edited by YairGOW; October 10, 2012 at 01:56 PM.