Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 20, 2012, 04:54 AM
Rookie

Default Relatively High End New Build

So I have this really horrible (not exactly horrible but outdated) PC from DELL, and it had some graphics problems blah blah blah. Long story cut short, I realized that my computer just sucks, badly. And so, I decided to build a new one. Sometimes the computer will be used for general computing (ie: facebook, email, youtube, projects etc etc), other times for gaming (50/50). As for a price range, I have an unlimited budget . Ok, maybe not UNLIMITED, around the $2000 mark is good (not including extra software such as win7). I live in Australia, and I don't really like buying internationally + I found a local store. No brand preference other than a general (hatred? dislike-ness?) of AMD/ATI products. Apart from my headphones, mouse and keyboard, nothing else is going to be recycled from my old computer. I do plan on overclocking (never done it before :( )...
Resolution: only have 1920x1080 monitor, but I do like my graphics settings fancy-like.
Specific Technologies: No, apart from a generally silent case.
Extra: Preferring a Blue+Black interior

My proposed build:
i5 3570k (or maybe i7? I'm still undecided, but I think the i7 isn't worth the extra $100)
Corsair H100 LCS
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9
MSI GeForce GTX 680 Lightning 2GB
Seagate Barracuda 2TB
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
Corsair HX 850W PSU
Corsair Graphite 600t Special Edition

Might add fans:
1 BitFenix Spectre PRO Transparent Black+Blue LED 120mm (to replace the exhaust fan of the case)
2 Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition Fans (To add on the H100 radiator - going to put the stock fans on the top, two extra fans on the bottom [4 fans in total surrounding the radiator])

That is pretty much it.

(Also, the 600T has two 200mm fans on the front and top. Hard to explain, but look at the drawing - would there be any bad things if I set up the top like that? The reason I do that is because the 200mm fans have White LEDS that I think would look pretty nice...)
(Look at the 600T, you'll see that the top has a mesh that can be popped up - I was thinking about mounting the 200mm fan on that, then closing the top mesh again.)
Attached Images

Old September 20, 2012, 03:26 PM
Trial Member

Your build looks good for the most part. Just a couple of questions/comments. Are you going to SLI in the future? If not the HX 650 or AX 650 is all you need for a PSU. 16gb of RAM is overkill, and so is 8gb, but I wouldnt go less than 8. Your budget allows either so not that big of a deal, but if you wanted to save some money thats one thing to do. Depending on what features you need on your motherboard, pcie3 slots, sata3 ports, and such, honestly you could probably go with a lot cheaper motherboard, again though if you wanted to save money. The motherboard doesnt add really any preformance, it more or less just adds features, like SLIing 2 slots at x16 instead of both at x8 (granted this example will make a little difference in performance). Most people just need the standard features with good overclocking ablity. So something the ASRock Extreme4 at the low end. Last I would look into maybe getting a 256gb SSD, like the Samsung 830, Crucial m4, or OCZ Vertex 4.

The case and the H100 and fan setup...I think you should do a little googling, but I do not think you can fit 4 layers of fans and rad in that case. People from various forms say that they can only get a pull configuration (rad then 1 set of fans on top of the mesh) in that case, but I don't know the specifics. Anything below hits something on the motherboard or something like that. Personally, I think just stick with 2 fans on the rad and I dont think you will really see that BIG of a difference compared to a fans on both sides.
Old September 20, 2012, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As said above thats an odd fan configuration... i would stick with the 2 push then have the pull on the top of the mesh..

i7 not worth it for your usage.

Agree with (some of) the above on the motherboard.. Asus have gotten very expensive for what you get... Just built on an ASRock Extreme 4 for my brother and am very happy with the results..

670 is MORE than enough for your resolution AND the MSI lightning is really not worth it for you.. It is meant for people who want to play with overclocking and set records.
I would be looking at an MSI 670 PE or similar.

I have also used the seagate drive.. but if I had your budget I would be going for a WD black.. seen a few seagates die and heard of loads.. have had 7 WD blacks personally and built with more in recent years and all have been rock solid
Old September 20, 2012, 06:28 PM
Allstar

I really don't see the point of using a Black for a storage drive.
Old September 20, 2012, 06:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

With 128GB SSD there are bound to be some games or packages that end up on the HDD, this is why I would choose a black or a larger SSD..

Good point though.. 256gb (or there abouts) for your SSD mate.. Faster, longer life (more nand to write to) and lots more space for all your programs..
Hell at current prices I would be looking at 2 drives or a 512 with your budget.. Especially after knocking off $150 for the Lightning

Other thing about the black isn't the speed it's the known reliability and a 5yr warranty. which again with the budget makes it a non-issue.
though if the SSD space is increased a slower and cheaper drive is a definite option.
Old September 20, 2012, 11:16 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del.irious View Post
Your build looks good for the most part. Just a couple of questions/comments. Are you going to SLI in the future? If not the HX 650 or AX 650 is all you need for a PSU. 16gb of RAM is overkill, and so is 8gb, but I wouldnt go less than 8. Your budget allows either so not that big of a deal, but if you wanted to save some money thats one thing to do. Depending on what features you need on your motherboard, pcie3 slots, sata3 ports, and such, honestly you could probably go with a lot cheaper motherboard, again though if you wanted to save money. The motherboard doesnt add really any preformance, it more or less just adds features, like SLIing 2 slots at x16 instead of both at x8 (granted this example will make a little difference in performance). Most people just need the standard features with good overclocking ablity. So something the ASRock Extreme4 at the low end. Last I would look into maybe getting a 256gb SSD, like the Samsung 830, Crucial m4, or OCZ Vertex 4.

The case and the H100 and fan setup...I think you should do a little googling, but I do not think you can fit 4 layers of fans and rad in that case. People from various forms say that they can only get a pull configuration (rad then 1 set of fans on top of the mesh) in that case, but I don't know the specifics. Anything below hits something on the motherboard or something like that. Personally, I think just stick with 2 fans on the rad and I dont think you will really see that BIG of a difference compared to a fans on both sides.
1. If you look at the case and motherboard in question, you'll find that it will be able fit, no problem.
And like I said, Money is no object (unless the price is overkill high). This PC will also be more future proof (ish), so I think 16GB is good for me.
Blue/black-themed interior - ASROCK extreme4 looks yucky
and I may be going SLI in the future and I got a good deal for the HX 750 (like $10 cheaper than the 650)
Old September 20, 2012, 11:23 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
As said above thats an odd fan configuration... i would stick with the 2 push then have the pull on the top of the mesh..

i7 not worth it for your usage.

Agree with (some of) the above on the motherboard.. Asus have gotten very expensive for what you get... Just built on an ASRock Extreme 4 for my brother and am very happy with the results..

670 is MORE than enough for your resolution AND the MSI lightning is really not worth it for you.. It is meant for people who want to play with overclocking and set records.
I would be looking at an MSI 670 PE or similar.

I have also used the seagate drive.. but if I had your budget I would be going for a WD black.. seen a few seagates die and heard of loads.. have had 7 WD blacks personally and built with more in recent years and all have been rock solid
I don't mind if it's odd, just wondering if it'll work (I have really weird ideas on design and such).
As I said in my previous post as well, the ASROCK isn't blue (though the gold looks nice, I'd rather it was blue).
Also, as a futureproof (and possibly going tri-monitor + 3D Vision) PC I chose the Lightning (good deal on it too) BUT I suppose the 670 is also an option.
Old September 21, 2012, 07:24 AM
Rookie

General Hining, If you are looking at the H100 Rad setup then the Bitfenix case you want to look at is the Ghost that is to hit stores in the next few weeks. It has a slot specifically for a 240mm RAD, and it looks super BA.
Old September 21, 2012, 10:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralHining View Post
Also, as a futureproof (and possibly going tri-monitor + 3D Vision) PC I chose the Lightning (good deal on it too) BUT I suppose the 670 is also an option.
Dual 670's for surround and 3d at a minimum. 680 is gonna struggle a bit for minimum frames.
Old September 21, 2012, 03:24 PM
Rookie

But I could go Dual 680's instead...