Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2012, 03:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

OS is not required.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old September 17, 2012, 03:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zypho View Post
From what, I gave my opinion, and reply'd with why I thought it was a good choice. To many people sit around all day reading reviews/benchmarks and suddenly they are A+ cert and know everything that's best. The OP wanted suggestions, I gave him one and said good luck and commented on it being an awesome present. Yeah I stated maybe its time to head on back to OCN, where you can actually have a decent conversation.

Yes, emoting a sigh then claiming everyone else around you is uneducated is definitely "a decent conversation".

Especially when these uneducated fools bring up proof of why they have said opinion.

Instead, we are all supposed to believe your spidey senses from doing a couple budget builds... that and you might have a CompTIA certification.

Have I summed it all up correctly?
Old September 17, 2012, 03:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Sigh.. so many uneducated people on this forum... rethinking going back to OCN now :S.. I said you wont notice a difference in graphics between the two and I am still standing by that.. Yes.. the AMD has a higher FPS... your eye can only see on average 65FPS..... factor that in with his kid will be gaming on a 18 - 19 monitor ... you wont notice a difference in 35fps vs max on average 65PFS your brain needs (depending on screen size)...

I can still recommend an intel IGP solution because his kid is going to notice more of a difference having 20+ tabs open, switching between MSN and downloading illegal music, good luck with your build man, I'm sure your step son will love it, also watch for near xmas deals on monitors, those 18.5" go on sale for even less than what they are now.

I have to strongly disagree.

Having 20+ tabs open, an IM program and music downloading in the background is more a function of how much RAM you have, not so much how fast you're CPU is. I'm pretty sure a C2D can handle all of those tasks in the background, nevermind an A8. So with that in mind, why not choose the cheaper and more GPU powerful solution, as the rig is meant for light gaming?

But lets disregard that for a moment and consider that this build is meant for last for a few years. Sure, you and the kid might not notice the difference between the two currently, but what about in a year or two? When the stepson is a little more grown up and wants to try some larger games? Or (god help us! XD) Minecraft gets a high-res texture pack? Having that GPU headroom would be great to have a few years down the road. Or throw in a card designed to work with the APU and combine them for more power! This isn't meant to be a high end gaming rig, the APU has more then enough processing power to handle the gaming tasks thrown at it, right up through the mid-range.

I get where your coming from with the more powerful Intel, I do, I get it, it'll be faster CPU-wise then the A8 more then likely. But for the price to performance and the futureproofing value I think a $99 IGP solution simply can't be beat.

It's not about being A+ certified, it's about reading the numbers that are in front of you and considering the situation at hand. And frankly please, go back to OCN, maybe you'll find someone that will believe your garbage there. I think you should take a harder look at your stance in this regard because it seems no one so far agrees with your opinion. Unless we're all uneducated, of course.

OP: I forgot to mention before the Logitech mk200 mouse and keyboard combo can be had for $30.. and cheaper on sale, which it goes on every so often as it is now at NCIX: Logitech MK200 Media Keyboard and Mouse Combo USB - Logitech - 920-002714 - I bought two sets of these for work and they work great. Keyboard isn't completely unresponsively soft (I hate those. UGH.) but it IS quiet (Amen.) and the mouse doesn't feel too bad at all. I was kinda impressed for the price. Currently it'll save ya an extra $15.
Old September 17, 2012, 03:43 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have to agree wholeheartedly on going with the discrete gpu vs the core IGP. Ive recently discovered that you dont need much in terms of processor power for modern gaming, its all about the GPU. I currently have an i3 530 @ stock (too lazy to get around to oc'ing it) paired up with a GTX 470 and everyone of my games plays maxed @ 1920 x 1200 AA and all the bells and whistles with a damn good framerate. Kinda makes me feel stupid after all these years of dropping 300+ on a processor for my gaming rigs when even a stock budget chip is more than ample for gaming.

I am curious to how one of these a8 chips game with a higher end gpu (660 or 7870) or better. If gaming is decent with those, then I more than likely will drop the i3 as my media server and let an a8 chip do the gaming work for me.
Old September 17, 2012, 03:43 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Couple recomendations.

1) stay with AMD IF you never plan on sticking a discrete GPU in there. Otherwise go Intel. Intels 'HD' line suck for gaming. AMD faildozers suck as a cpu. Pick you poison. With such a tight budget Id probably go the AMD route.
2) Stay away from the kingston V200. Spend the extra 25 bucks for a Crucial M4...IF you decide to stick a SSD in there.
3) If you dont plan on getting a SSD right away...spend a couple bucks more on the HDD and get a WD Black or Seagate. Many in the 80-90 buck range will are MUCH faster than the blues.
4) that logitech kb and mouse combo luckstarr posted is a decent kit. Ive used them in a few builds. Not great...but cant beat it on value. :)
5)...too bad you didnt notice my Crucial V4 256GB that was for sale (sold now) for 120...that you could have had for less. :P

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 17, 2012, 05:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Wait till Black Friday then buy...

also have to +1 for the intel (i3 or even pentium) + GPU

hell, why not look at some second hand high-end C2Duo or q6600's or maybe even an i7920(I know I'm stretching here) etc.. stick it in your new Bitfenx case and hey presto..

Could save your self some coin / get a more powerful solution if you come across the right deal before you have to buy to make x-mass.. and if not then you can go back to either the AMD APU or an Intel +gpu.
Old September 17, 2012, 06:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Sigh.. so many uneducated people on this forum... rethinking going back to OCN now :S.. I said you wont notice a difference in graphics between the two and I am still standing by that.. Yes.. the AMD has a higher FPS... your eye can only see on average 65FPS..... factor that in with his kid will be gaming on a 18 - 19 monitor ... you wont notice a difference in 35fps vs max on average 65PFS your brain needs (depending on screen size)...

I can still recommend an intel IGP solution because his kid is going to notice more of a difference having 20+ tabs open, switching between MSN and downloading illegal music, good luck with your build man, I'm sure your step son will love it, also watch for near xmas deals on monitors, those 18.5" go on sale for even less than what they are now.
Sorry mate but calling out to people and saying we are uneducated is not a good way to keep a lively active conversation.

You can notice a difference in 30 - 60. Trust me, when WoT or D3 dips to those levels for whatever reason it is VERY easy to discern. I think trying to get the Max FPS in the games he has chosen is the key. And if the A8 Solution is a better fit for him because he isn't going Discrete then that is best. We might not all have the HW to do side by sides, but that is what reviews are for. And reviews show the AMD IGP to be a very powerful option for those with not so demanding needs. All the reviews are out there, I would love to see some that show otherwise (please, educate us, show me some reviews).

Quote:
Oh an btw.. no intel troll or rep here.. Just have built enough budget PC's for kids to know what matters.
So have many of the members on this site you called uneducated. We try and promote honest discussion. However when certain claims are made it is best to back that up (as other members did) with facts before just saying we are wrong because you say so. That way we avoid getting threads to where they are today.

Let us keep this Thread intact, on topic, and with clear concise info.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com

Last edited by Soultribunal; September 17, 2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old September 17, 2012, 07:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thank you very much for all the comments and suggestions. I'll keep an eye out and if I see a killer deal on an i3 CPU/Mobo and a 7770, I'll jump on it. If not, I'm sure an APU will suffice just fine.

If I do go Intel i3 and a discrete GPU, I would love to go mITX and use the Bitfenix Prodigy. IT doesn't seem like AMD offers any FM1 mITX boards. Unless any of you can find one. I couldn't seem to.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;

Last edited by great_big_abyss; September 18, 2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old September 18, 2012, 09:15 AM
Rookie

Hey guys, I read all of this stuff and while I am leaning to Intel and Nvidia for my own build its probably not the best for price. Anyway I am not here to get in on that conversation.

I want to suggest to the OP that at your stepsons age, maybe look at saving some immediate cash by going low end for the case, maybe go kijiji for the monitor, and low end for the keyboard and mouse that might end up covered in candy goop anyway. Use that money to upgrade away from the Internal graphics.
Then in a few years when the young man has matured a little bit and is more interested in it, you could upgrade the case and peripherals with him, sort of do his first build together.
Don't know, just a thought. I am having trouble remembering how much I was into when I was his age. I don't think I cared as much about the hardware as the games themselves.
Old September 18, 2012, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

@OP:

ASRock A75M-ITX mITX FM1 A75 Fch DDR3 1PCI-E16 SATA3 HDMI USB3.0 Motherboard - ASRock - A75M-ITX