Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2012, 11:32 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
This is the kind of i3 recommendation that I'm looking for. Thank You. I will check it out on NCIX for sure. This system would outperform an AMD IGP across the board. It wouldn't even come close!
Lol yes, it would. I recommended you an i5 for one reason, the games you mentioned playing any of the recommendations here will do those games just fine. Regardless of who has better IGP, your not going to notice much difference for those games. What you will notice is an increase in processor.. You mentioned plugging at dedicated video card in down the road when FPS games were a factor.

The i5 will get you the most speed for the money without loosing game play, regardless if the AMD is better IGP you wont notice that in Spore and especially minecraft. Stop worrying about graphic performance and worry about speed, anything you pick will run those games perfectly fine.
Old September 17, 2012, 11:34 AM
Top Prospect

Oh an btw.. no intel troll or rep here.. Just have built enough budget PC's for kids to know what matters.
Old September 17, 2012, 11:34 AM
Allstar

If you still decide to go the AMD IGP route, wait for FM2 Trinity. Decent gaming performance according to Tom's Hardware review.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...pu,3241-9.html

The only i3 Ivy Bridge with HD4000 IGP is the i3-3225. Everything else in i3 line is HD2500.

Intel® Core
Old September 17, 2012, 11:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
If you still decide to go the AMD IGP route, wait for FM2 Trinity. Decent gaming performance according to Tom's Hardware review.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...pu,3241-9.html

The only i3 Ivy Bridge with HD4000 IGP is the i3-3225. Everything else in i3 line is HD2500.

Intel® Core
Ya, I wouldn't do i3 IGP. I would jump directly to i3 with a discrete GPU like a 7750/70

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old September 17, 2012, 11:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zypho View Post
Lol yes, it would. I recommended you an i5 for one reason, the games you mentioned playing any of the recommendations here will do those games just fine. Regardless of who has better IGP, your not going to notice much difference for those games. What you will notice is an increase in processor.. You mentioned plugging at dedicated video card in down the road when FPS games were a factor.

The i5 will get you the most speed for the money without loosing game play, regardless if the AMD is better IGP you wont notice that in Spore and especially minecraft. Stop worrying about graphic performance and worry about speed, anything you pick will run those games perfectly fine.
Of course an i5 would be nice, but he would have increase budget. My recommendation was a motherboard and CPU for 150. To go to an i5 you are looking at 180 min for the CPU and then another $75 min for motherboard (that's an extra $105+tax). i3 would be fine for your needs and budget.

Also I put a 7770 in my recommendation because its 115, but had a MIR. If you don't feel you need the extra a 7750 could be used, but it wouldn't save that much $ and the performance hit would be noticeable.
Old September 17, 2012, 12:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If I can find an i3/7770 combo on sale when I purchase, I think that'll be the route that I have to go.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old September 17, 2012, 12:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by zypho View Post

Again, you are incorrect.

Even the 4000 doesn't breach the all important 30fps barrier. I'd notice that. Nevermind your recommendation of the i5-2400, which only has the 2000 onboard. Sure, you could decrease quality, run at a lower resolution etcetc, but if you're spending the same or less dollar, I don't see how you can still recommend an Intel IGP solution. And you get some future proofing!

That being said discrete will near always beat out IGP, it just depends on your budget and if you can watch for sales. Too bad Trinity isn't coming out anytime soon heh.

also:
Canada Computers | Power Supplies | Corsair Builder Series CX430 V2 430 Watt 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Power Supply (CMPSU-430CXV2)

$45 cx430 - not everyone's favourite PSU for the cheaper caps, but with 3 years warranty and a lighter load it shouldn't matter too much
Old September 17, 2012, 12:46 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
Again, you are incorrect.

Even the 4000 doesn't breach the all important 30fps barrier. I'd notice that. Nevermind your recommendation of the i5-2400, which only has the 2000 onboard. Sure, you could decrease quality, run at a lower resolution etcetc, but if you're spending the same or less dollar, I don't see how you can still recommend an Intel IGP solution. And you get some future proofing!
Sigh.. so many uneducated people on this forum... rethinking going back to OCN now :S.. I said you wont notice a difference in graphics between the two and I am still standing by that.. Yes.. the AMD has a higher FPS... your eye can only see on average 65FPS..... factor that in with his kid will be gaming on a 18 - 19 monitor ... you wont notice a difference in 35fps vs max on average 65PFS your brain needs (depending on screen size)...

I can still recommend an intel IGP solution because his kid is going to notice more of a difference having 20+ tabs open, switching between MSN and downloading illegal music, good luck with your build man, I'm sure your step son will love it, also watch for near xmas deals on monitors, those 18.5" go on sale for even less than what they are now.
Old September 17, 2012, 02:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd say you're treading on thin ice, buddy.
Old September 17, 2012, 02:54 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I'd say you're treading on thin ice, buddy.
From what, I gave my opinion, and reply'd with why I thought it was a good choice. To many people sit around all day reading reviews/benchmarks and suddenly they are A+ cert and know everything that's best. The OP wanted suggestions, I gave him one and said good luck and commented on it being an awesome present. Yeah I stated maybe its time to head on back to OCN, where you can actually have a decent conversation. Isn't that what a forum is for.

Also to OP. You left out OS, was this intentional?