Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 15, 2012, 06:03 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Corsair/MSI build

Hello Canadia :D

As a long time watcher of Linus Tech Tips I figured coming here would be a good move to get advice/critique on a prospective build.

Be aware I'm in the UK and my budget is flexible. This rig is primarily for gaming on a single monitor at high FPS/prettiness.

Please appraise this prospective build, I'd appreciate any feedback.

As a fan of what Bitfenix are doing and already owning one of their cases I plan to use the newly released Ghost as the housing for this rig.

Mobo: MSI Z77A GD65
CPU: I5-3570K
CPU Cooling: Corsair H70 Core + 2 x Corsair SP120 push/pull (Rear mounted intaking)
PSU: Corsair 800GS
RAM: 2x 4gb Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3
GPU: 2 x MSI 660ti Power Edition
Boot Drive: Corsair 240gb Force SSD
Soundcard: SB X-fi Xtreme
2 x Corsair AF140 in the roof
2 x Corsair AF120 in the front

Data is taken care of already, I have a NAS for streaming to a DLNA enabled BD-player. I'll be sticking with my G700 and Merc Stealth until they die too. :D

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated...
Old September 16, 2012, 10:02 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Initially, I was going to ask why you went with lower card SLI, rather than a single card. However, I found a YouTube clip which confirms that a GTX 660 Ti in SLI really is faster than a single 680. Based on the games covered, the performance boost was around 20-35% over the single 680; however, the cost of getting the two 660 Ti you specify was only around 12% more expensive than the MSI GTX 680. Awesome!!! True, you are talking about a much higher piwer draw, but if your 800W p/s can handle it, you are sitting pretty.

With the SSD, which line did you mean, the Force GT or GS? Personally, I would suggest looking at IBM, the OCZ Vertex 4, the Crucial drives or the Samsung as the best SSD choices.

Last note: do you really need to spend extra on the sound card? I haven't seen much documentation on the cards being much better than the motherboard's onboard sound. But that is just my opinion...
Old September 16, 2012, 10:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Nice build. My only comment has to do with the previous poster's last note. If you are using cheap speakers, then no, the difference is not that noticeable (although I can tell the difference with my Logitech X-540's). If you are using good analog headphones, the difference from onboard can be amazing. If you are looking to save money on a build, I'll admit a sound card is the first place to cut back until you can afford it.
Old September 17, 2012, 04:48 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Gentlemen, thank you for your feedback. The SSD is Force Series 3

I've changed my mind on the PSU going for the TX 850 instead for that extra bit of headroom.

Yes the sound-card is an added bonus as I suppose with this much power the chance of on-board sound being any kind of issue is negligible.
Old September 17, 2012, 04:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

On board should be no issue anyway unless you have a quite a good sound system / headset. In which case your only looking at audio quality rather than any other kind of issue.