Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14, 2012, 01:48 PM
Rookie

Question Need help choosing parts.

Hi there,

I am looking forward to building my first PC but i can't decide what parts i should use.

1. The PC will primarily be used for gaming, minor video editing and of course, school work.

2. My current budget is 900 but my parrents will buy my OS.

3. I'm belgian so i'll probably purchase my parts in the Benelux.

4. I believe that Intel and Nvidia are the best brands for gaming.

5. I still have two EN9500GT MAGIC (has PCIe 2.0 interface)

6. I don't want cmos/bios flash buttons on the back of my computer (at least some sort of protector over them) since they have the reputation of creating tue 'horror scenarios' among my friends. I would like as much pcie lanes as possible (thinking about SLI / future cards)

7. Overcklocking to about 4Ghz would be very nice, but i have 0 experience.

8. I would like to be running a working system by the end of october.

9. I have one of those large monitors (120Hz, 3D ready)

10. I really want SLI, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3 and upgradeability

My initial plan was to buy a high end mobo/CPU combo and run with stock cooling, an HDD and those graphics cards i still have, But when i have some more to spend i'd go all watercooling and slap a GTX780 with a waterblock in there when they come out, then an SSD and a sound card...

I think you get the picture, this process will take some time so a good base is a must. (because i'm underage i am only allowed work 8 weeks per year)

Important: the color scheme matters to me, so please none of those terrible looking blue mobos!

P.S. if prices in euro are hard to find, just say them in dollar.

Last edited by robot drof 1224; September 14, 2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old September 15, 2012, 12:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Best thing I can suggest is to save more and get a full rig rather than staying with (even 2) 9500's..

900 isn't a massive budget for Europe but should get you your choice of z77 board, 3570k, 8gb ram, hdd (WD black / seagate barricuda 7200.14) case and PSU.. maybe even and ssd too. you seem to know a reasonable ammount.

Try create a build and post it here (with individual prices) so we have a better idea of what your getting for your money. and we can then tweak it or suggest alternatives to what you have chosen.
(and a link to where you will most likely buy from)
hardwareversand.de used to be quite good for parts but it's been a while since I used them. Shop around as much as you can.. bargains to be had by doing so.
Old September 15, 2012, 04:18 AM
Rookie

Ok, this is what i came up with:

-Asus sabertooth Z77 or Maximus V 270
-Intel core i7-3770K or core i7-2700K 315
-8Gb of corsair vengeance 55
-Barracuda 1Tb 85
-corsair professional AX850 170

The motherboards both have 'horror butons' and don't support dual x16 PCIe, i dont have a laptop so ROG connect is useless to me but fusion thermo is a nice feature on the other side i really like the tuf reliability but the collor scheme isn't my style. It's the best i could find.

I would go for ivy bridge because of it's power efficiency and better integrated graphics, but since they're slower than sandy and HD4000 doesn't increase Virtu performance, it becomes hard to choose.

And i have decided to buy a GTX780 when they're released (Dual x16 would be nice to have since the performance drop will be noticeable with those cards in SLI)
Old September 15, 2012, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot drof 1224 View Post
Ok, this is what i came up with:

-Asus sabertooth Z77 or Maximus V 270
-Intel core i7-3770K or core i7-2700K 315
-8Gb of corsair vengeance 55
-Barracuda 1Tb 85
-corsair professional AX850 170

And i have decided to buy a GTX780 when they're released (Dual x16 would be nice to have since the performance drop will be noticeable with those cards in SLI)
-I would go for the sabertooth if it is cheaper than the maximus. Very solid board there. A 3570k as stated before will give you better value than a 3770k. The only difference between the two is hyperthreading, and its not worth the extra 100 Euro unless you are going to be encoding video alot more than you say you are. Also games don't utilize hyperthreading, so you you won't miss it if you drop down to a 3570k.

-Why wait for a 780? That is a long way off. What about a 670? They can overclock to near 680 speeds and are a very good value card.

-On z77, SLI'd cards will run at 8x, 8x, but tests show that you might only lose 3-5% performance running at 8x over 16x for both cards. Don't forget that we still don't have cards that can saturate a pcie 2.0 bus yet (pcie 2.0 16x = pcie3.0 8x). If you really wanted dual 16x, then you'd need to go to lga 2011 board and i7-3820 cpu, which will be a bit more expensive.

-a 3770k is about 5% faster than a 2700k, and use a little bit less power.

PSU choice looks good if you plan for SLI in the future, look for an ssd too, they are pretty cheap these days and are well worth it.
Old September 15, 2012, 12:31 PM
Rookie

thx for your avice, i think i'll run with that.
Old September 15, 2012, 08:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ivy is faster than sandy clock for clock but sandy clocks faster.

Either are good. :D