Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 13, 2012, 10:03 PM
Top Prospect

Smile Ultimate Gaming Desktop Pc Build... ^_^

Hey Everyone... ^_^

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Well It is mostly for Gaming. And i am a huge multi tasker so it should be able to multi task well... And i do a lot of Internet Browsing and Downloads...

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

Budget doesnt matter.. cuz i am not goin to build it right aways... first will collect the needed parts and then will build it... so budget isnt a matter.. but i want my desktop to be future proof...

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

I am From India.. i mostly buy from online retailers like Flipkart, Ebay(Dont Like it Much).. If there is anyother good Retailers Suggest me.. ^_^

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

I am a fan of many things.. Like for Processor i like Intel, Graphics Card i only like Nvidia, And a huge Asus Fan...

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

Well ya.. I already got a monitor which i will using, My 4.1 Creative Sound system, APC Back UPS RS 1100, Razer Black Widow Keyboard, Belkin Wifi Router, and Finally Sony DVD Rw... These things i will be using..

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

Well i currently have no plan for overclocking.. but in the future i might....

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

I would like to build it before 2013... The parts i bought are just the razer blackwidow keyboard.. And the parts i will be reusing are

Monitor, Sound System, Router, UPS...

9. What resolution and settings do you use?

Well i want to max it all... and i dont need 3D...

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?

I need USB 3.0, SSD, All in one Memory Card System... And all the latest Tech With it.... ^_^

Welll i already Chose Some parts well here are they...

Mother Board:
Asus Maximus V Formula, Asus Maximus V Extreme, Asus Rampage IV Extreme... I am not sure which to choose... Or is there any better alternatives... i would like the motherboard from Asus and specifically the ROG Series..

Processor:
Intel Core I7 3770K, Intel Core I7 3930k.... Is there any better processor than these 2?? i want it to be Intel....

Graphics Card:
Nvidia Geforce GTX 680... Single not SLI( but in future i might go with SLI)... Is there any better Card??? I want it to be Nvidia.

Sound Card:
Asus Xonar Essence ST.. Is this good??

Case/Cabinet:
Cooler Master Cosmos II.. I liked this case... but is there a better case with lot of room for cable management and for upgrades???

Power Supply:
Seasonic X Series - 80 Plus Gold SS-850KM... Is this Good???

These r the components i serached for... Other components im not sure what to buy...

hope you can help me suggest an Awesome Gaming machine... ^_^

Thanks ^_^

Last edited by syaoran7li; September 13, 2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Sorry For the Huge Post.... ^_^
Old September 14, 2012, 02:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What monitor do you have?

If your looking for a machine that will max any game and be good for multi-tasking a (relatively) basic system for 1200 - 1600 would be plenty.. It all depends on what you play and what resolution your monitor is.

The point with many parts these days is to OC them.. if your not interested then your wasting your money... and the top level stuff are for those that want to beat benchmarks etc.. not for people looking for a good gaming rig..

I would suggest a 3570k (plenty of power) 3770k if your going to be doing a bunch of rendering or encoding etc.. the 3930k and higher are for people that are really into their hardware or do 3d modeling as a job...
8GB ram is more than the VAST majority of people will use.. but it is cheap so you can go for 16GB if you really want.
256GB SSD, Intel are probably the best all round but expensive.. Vertex 4 would be my second choice for high end build..
2TB HDD, WD Black or seagate Barricuda 7200.14..
Asus Z77 sabertooth is all the board you'll need..
Depending on your monitor a 670 is all you'll need..
Hell look at a 27" IPS and go for a 690 if you have the funds for it.. but for any monitor of 1920 x 1200 or less then a single 670 will be plenty.. the MSI PE is sweet and a good price.
Single GPU a 650 watt is plenty.. dual and 750-850 is good... again unless your going to be pushing oc's as high as possible trying to beat benchmarks (Which you won't notice in game) then a gold is overkill.. Corsair TX 650V2 or 850 is a great unit.

Case... pick what you want... it's personal preference.. but the cosmos is HUGE.
Any decent mid tower should have decent cooling, cable management and hold 2 GPU's..
Full tower is more for water-cooling custom loops, tri-sli or more and the likes..

As for sound... All creative sound-systems I've heard sound crap(though I've not had the opportunity to try one of their higher models) and the sound-card will be wasted if this is the case..
Makes sure your sound-system is in need of a card like the ST before you drop that much cash on it... The $60 - $120 cards are generally good enough for most people.

By the way.. don't try and "future-proof" a build.. you'll end up spending more money than it would cost to have 2 builds in the same period...
The CPU etc in this SHOULD last about 5 years once OC'd and depending on your own needs.. the GPU should last 2-3 before re-fresh is wanted.

Last edited by Dzzope; September 14, 2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old September 14, 2012, 02:42 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

First of all you need to decide whether you want to go for socket 1155 - More affordable, very close performance to s2011, but no upgrade options in the future - you won't get anything faster than a 3770K -
or socket 2011 - Expensive, not that much more performance, but you'll have the option to upgrade to Ivy Bridge-E which some say will have 8-core chips too.

If the budget does not really bothers you - These are my suggestions:

Motherboard - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79.
CPU - Intel i7 3930K.
Cooler - Corsair H100.
Memory - 16GB Kingston or G-skill.
Storage - Intel 520 series 240GB SSD, and 2/3TB storage drives if you need.
GPU - GTX680 (Preferably the MSI Lightning)
PSU - Seasonic 1000W Platinum (Although the unit you've mentioned above will do fine with SLI'ed 680s)
Case is down to preference, although you do need one with good airflow for such a system. The Cosmos 2 is awesome if you can afford it.
Have I forgot anything...?
Old September 14, 2012, 02:51 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
What monitor do you have?
I have Samsung Syncmaster B1930 16"

Quote:
The point with many parts these days is to OC them.. if your not interested then your wasting your money... and the top level stuff are for those that want to beat benchmarks etc.. not for people looking for a good gaming rig..
Well actually i am interested in OC... But right now i wont be doing the overclocking but in the near future will be doing OC....

Quote:
I would suggest a 3570k (plenty of power) 3770k if your going to be doing a bunch of rendering or encoding etc.. the 3930k and higher are for people that are really into their hardware or do 3d modeling as a job...
Well i am doing a animation course and i will probably be doing a lot of rendering... And ya i do a lot of encoding too... i got the doubt is abt the performance of processors 3930k and 3770k.. well the thing i will do with my systems r Heavy Gaming, Little bit of rendering, a lot encoding, Heavy multi tasking etc... for these 3770k is good or should i go for 3930k???

Quote:
8GB ram is more than the VAST majority of people will use.. but it is cheap so you can go for 16GB if you really want.
Okay will go with 16gig ram... yeah abt ram in some processors i saw it written that memory support a 1333 and 1600.. so if i buy a higher end ram like 2000 will it work with the processor??

Quote:
Asus Z77 sabertooth is all the board you'll need..
Really?? But rnt ROG board specially designed for gaming??? so they should have a upper hand right???

Quote:
Depending on your monitor a 670 is all you'll need..
Hell look at a 27" IPS and go for a 690 if you have the funds for it.. but for any monitor of 1920 x 1200 or less then a single 670 will be plenty.. the MSI PE is sweet and a good price.
Well my monitor doesnt support HD.. but i will keep the samsung monitor for a few more onths and will be goin for a full HD monitor.... so if tats the case buying 680 is good right??
690 nooooooo way... tats waaaay costly..hehe..

Quote:
Case... pick what you want... it's personal preference.. but the cosmos is HUGE.
Hehe ya its HUGE... but i just couldnt remove its image from my mind.. so probably will be buying it.... its a good case right???

Quote:
As for sound... All creative sound-systems I've heard sound crap(though I've not had the opportunity to try one of their higher models) and the sound-card will be wasted if this is the case..
Makes sure your sound-system is in need of a card like the ST before you drop that much cash on it... The $60 - $120 cards are generally good enough for most people.
Ohhhhh.... so tats y whenever im gaming or watching a movie the sound is sooo bad... so i thought buying a sound card will fix it... well can u suggest me a good sound system ???

Quote:
By the way.. don't try and "future-proof" a build.. you'll end up spending more money than it would cost to have 2 builds in the same period...
Ohhhhh.... okay... Dropped my idea of Future proof...
Old September 14, 2012, 02:55 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
First of all you need to decide whether you want to go for socket 1155 - More affordable, very close performance to s2011, but no upgrade options in the future - you won't get anything faster than a 3770K -
or socket 2011 - Expensive, not that much more performance, but you'll have the option to upgrade to Ivy Bridge-E which some say will have 8-core chips too.

If the budget does not really bothers you - These are my suggestions:

Motherboard - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79.
CPU - Intel i7 3930K.
Cooler - Corsair H100.
Memory - 16GB Kingston or G-skill.
Storage - Intel 520 series 240GB SSD, and 2/3TB storage drives if you need.
GPU - GTX680 (Preferably the MSI Lightning)
PSU - Seasonic 1000W Platinum (Although the unit you've mentioned above will do fine with SLI'ed 680s)
Case is down to preference, although you do need one with good airflow for such a system. The Cosmos 2 is awesome if you can afford it.
Have I forgot anything...?
Ohh so buying a board with socket 2011 can be upgraded later on with ivy bridge... i thought Socket 2011 wont have an ivy bridge cuz all i saw has sandy bridge on it....

Wow... ur Pc suggestion is good,, will look into it....
Old September 14, 2012, 03:01 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaoran7li View Post
I have Samsung Syncmaster B1930 16"
You definitely need to upgrade you monitor before building for it a system like this.
For graphics/editing/rendering etc you'd want a good IPS (Asus' pro art series, Dell's ultrasharp series),
While for gaming (especially FPS), better get a 120Hz monitor. (Asus VG278H is a decent one).
Old September 14, 2012, 03:13 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
You definitely need to upgrade you monitor before building for it a system like this.
For graphics/editing/rendering etc you'd want a good IPS (Asus' pro art series, Dell's ultrasharp series),
While for gaming (especially FPS), better get a 120Hz monitor. (Asus VG278H is a decent one).

ohh tats a 3D monitor right... well i will be buying monitor by the end of the build.. and i will buy it if i can afford it at tat time... is there any other good monitor which costs a bit less...??
Old September 14, 2012, 03:32 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

That's a good value one - Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24 IPS Monitor Review

For a 120Hz check out the BenQ XL2420T.

The 120Hz suggestion is not for 3D but rather for being able to run games at 120fps which is soooo much smoother than at 60Hz... You need to experience it to really feel the difference.
Old September 14, 2012, 03:46 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
That's a good value one - Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24 IPS Monitor Review

For a 120Hz check out the BenQ XL2420T.

The 120Hz suggestion is not for 3D but rather for being able to run games at 120fps which is soooo much smoother than at 60Hz... You need to experience it to really feel the difference.
Wow cool Benq is a good option for me.. Will buy it... and its 3D right so do i need glasses????

Quote:
Currently Selected Products for my Pc Build..

Motherboard:
Graphics Card: Asus Geforce GTX680 2GB
Processor:
Sound Card:
Sound System:
Monitor:
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Mechanical Keyboard(Dragon Age II Edition)
Mouse:
Case/Cabinet: Cooler Master Cosmos II
CPU Cooler:
Case Cooler:
RAM:
Power Supply:
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB
SSD:
Old September 14, 2012, 06:40 AM
Top Prospect

Try not to take offense to this.

But I believe you should hold off part searching and planning your build. Its very clear this is new to you and your just googling "Whats the best of ____, and What _____ for hard core gamers". Its awesome that you have come here looking for help, thats what we are here for. But until you go out and read some reviews, look at some benchmarks and learn some basic terms and how things go together. You won't understand any of the advise we are giving you. I think most of us on here will admit we regret decisions in our first... second.. maybe third build. There is no way to avoid this, it always happens. Best thing to try and do is avoid as many as possible. For your current situation here is what I could recommend to you.

Drop the Cosmos II, its WAY to big for your parts to fill and is massive, there are tons of cool looking Mid-tower cases out there that can visually and performance impress you. You're looking at paying anywhere between $300-$350 US for that case (Might be more where you're at not sure) and you wont use it to its full potential, few of us would. You can get a very cool looking case and save yourself a ton of money. Check out the Corsair 600T, its one of the nicest looking mid-tower cases out there right now, or one of the Coolermaster HAF series.

Stick with the GTX680 if you like Nvidia, thats not a bad card at all and will run pretty much anything maxed out on 1 monitor at 1920x1200 and below.

Skip the soundcard, unless your going to drop $300+ on a sound system right now save your money and hold off. Most onboard cards are decent now for any low-mid range speakers.

Motherboard, yes ROG boards are "made for gamers" from asus, mainly it means your paying more money to have that ROG brand and a red color themed motherboard, other Asus boards will do any hard core gamer just fine! A good combo for board and processor is what I have. ( Asus P9X79 Pro + Intel i7 3820 ) It is socket 2011 and overclocks very well on a H100 cooler. Stock speed is 3.8Ghz and I am running mine at 4.8Ghz right now and can push it further.

To summarize what I am saying.. Spend your money on a solid motherboard + cpu & gpu, get a case that fits your needs and doesn't cost you $350 when you wont use the full case anyways. Get a good quality SSD, and spend the rest of your budget upgrading your monitor. Gaming at 16" is terrible lol. And check out all the reviews/benchmarks you can find!