Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 15, 2012, 09:12 AM
Top Prospect

Hey guys i am almost finished with my build.. plz help me finish it...

Currently Selected Products for my Pc Build..

Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Graphics Card: Asus Geforce GTX680 2GB
Processor: Intel Core i7-3930K
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence ST
Sound System: Logitech Surround Sound Speakers Z506
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Mechanical Keyboard(Dragon Age II Edition)
Mouse: Razer Naga Laser Gaming Mouse
Case/Cabinet: Cooler Master Cosmos II
CPU Cooler:
Case Cooler: Cooler Master Megaflow 200, Cooler Master Excalibur Cooler
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 16 GB RAM (F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL)
Power Supply: Seasonic 850W Power Supply (SS-850KM)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD

Few question i got left....

1. For CPU Cooler, Corsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler or Noctua which is better or is there a better one?? H100 has a huge radiator right so does it make any difference compared to noctua?? and if i choose H100 then can i use it as a air cooler???

2. These r the things i want to do with the sound card...

a. Connect to a 5.1 sound system..
b. connect a headphone using the case front panel connectors..

can i do these two in the sound card ASUS Xonar Essence ST???

3. Once again question abt motherboard... just want to make sure that LGA 2011 boards will support newer ivy bridge processors right??

4. Guys Can you suggest me a good IPS monitor???
Old September 15, 2012, 09:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaoran7li View Post
Few question i got left....

1. For CPU Cooler, Corsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler or Noctua which is better or is there a better one?? H100 has a huge radiator right so does it make any difference compared to noctua?? and if i choose H100 then can i use it as a air cooler???

2. These r the things i want to do with the sound card...

a. Connect to a 5.1 sound system..
b. connect a headphone using the case front panel connectors..

can i do these two in the sound card ASUS Xonar Essence ST???

3. Once again question abt motherboard... just want to make sure that LGA 2011 boards will support newer ivy bridge processors right??

4. Guys Can you suggest me a good IPS monitor???
1.0 - The H100 should fit no problem with the radiator mounted to the top of the cosmos case. It will cool the cpu very well. I find that the corsair fans are a bit loud but you can always replace them. Which noctual cooler are you thinking of? D14?

2.0 - If the xonar card supports 5.1 then you'll be able to hook it up in a surround setup, and you can then still use your front audio jack to run headphones. You right click your sound button on the taskbar in windows and go into playback devices and set which output you want and you can toggle back and forth between the 5.1 and headphones.

3.0 - Not sure if current lga 2011 boards will support IB-E chips, probably, but who knows with intel. I put a 3770k into a z68 board with a bios update and had some early issues overclocking. So there's always stuff like that that sometimes needs to be worked out.

4.0 - What about one of the korean monitor? catleap or whatever they are called. There's always a risk that you could get one with a stuck pixel - otherwise you get a great monitor at a great price.
Old September 15, 2012, 10:38 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
1.0 - The H100 should fit no problem with the radiator mounted to the top of the cosmos case. It will cool the cpu very well. I find that the corsair fans are a bit loud but you can always replace them. Which noctual cooler are you thinking of? D14?

2.0 - If the xonar card supports 5.1 then you'll be able to hook it up in a surround setup, and you can then still use your front audio jack to run headphones. You right click your sound button on the taskbar in windows and go into playback devices and set which output you want and you can toggle back and forth between the 5.1 and headphones.

3.0 - Not sure if current lga 2011 boards will support IB-E chips, probably, but who knows with intel. I put a 3770k into a z68 board with a bios update and had some early issues overclocking. So there's always stuff like that that sometimes needs to be worked out.

4.0 - What about one of the korean monitor? catleap or whatever they are called. There's always a risk that you could get one with a stuck pixel - otherwise you get a great monitor at a great price.

ohhh cool... so i can use H100 as a air cooler too.. nice... ya i was thinking abt D14... now fixed my mind on H100 Thanks to u...

Just read a few posts tat said LGA 2011 will support ivy bridge processors in the future.. and so tat answered my question....

well i think i will stick with benq monitor...

Last edited by syaoran7li; September 15, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old September 15, 2012, 10:40 AM
Top Prospect

Hey guys i am almost finished with my build.. plz help me finish it...

Currently Selected Products for my Pc Build..

Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Graphics Card: Asus Geforce GTX680 2GB
Processor: Intel Core i7-3930K
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence ST
Sound System: Logitech Surround Sound Speakers Z506
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Mechanical Keyboard(Dragon Age II Edition)
Mouse: Razer Naga Laser Gaming Mouse
Case/Cabinet: Cooler Master Cosmos II
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Case Cooler: Cooler Master Megaflow 200, Cooler Master Excalibur Cooler
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 16 GB RAM (F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL)
Power Supply: Seasonic 850W Power Supply (SS-850KM)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD

My final Question.. the parts i have chosen are they all compatible with each other???

Last edited by syaoran7li; September 15, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old September 15, 2012, 07:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes they are all compatible.

H100 is a closed liquid cooler.. the fans are like on a car.. push air through the radiator to provide the cooling.
Old September 15, 2012, 07:40 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Yes they are all compatible.

H100 is a closed liquid cooler.. the fans are like on a car.. push air through the radiator to provide the cooling.
Ohh okk.. Thanks....

does that mean its a good air cooler???
Old September 15, 2012, 09:17 PM
Top Prospect

It is a very good cooler, have on myself.. Would recommend changing the fans on it as stock is very loud.

If your looking for a good monitor check out dells. The 2412 is a solid IPS monitor that has a 1920x1200 res. Can be found on sale for $289 if you watch it enough.. Goes on sale every other week.
Old September 15, 2012, 10:25 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by zypho View Post
It is a very good cooler, have on myself.. Would recommend changing the fans on it as stock is very loud.

If your looking for a good monitor check out dells. The 2412 is a solid IPS monitor that has a 1920x1200 res. Can be found on sale for $289 if you watch it enough.. Goes on sale every other week.
ohhh... cool thanks... which fans should I fix on it?

ok will check out the monitor...

just checked out the monitor... its quite good... one small doubt does it have the 120hz something too?... and Wats the use of 120hz?

Last edited by syaoran7li; September 15, 2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: checked the monitor...
Old September 16, 2012, 12:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

120hz allows for 3d but also provides a smoother picture in fast paced games, mostly first person shooters.

IPS don't (generally) do 120hz.

Ips will provide much better colours and images, they have a better resolution for working browsing and gaming (1920x1200) meaning you have more vertical screen space and MUCH better viewing angles.
Look up some reviews to get a better idea of what they provide
Old September 16, 2012, 01:09 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
120hz allows for 3d but also provides a smoother picture in fast paced games, mostly first person shooters.

IPS don't (generally) do 120hz.

Ips will provide much better colours and images, they have a better resolution for working browsing and gaming (1920x1200) meaning you have more vertical screen space and MUCH better viewing angles.
Look up some reviews to get a better idea of what they provide
so this mean IPS display is better than 3D....???

so if youre going to choose between Benq XL2420T and Dell Ultrasharp U2412M which would u choose??