Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14, 2012, 09:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

On the monitor.. It will support 3d if you buy a glasses kit etc BUT as GTR7 said, it's more for smoother game-play in fps games..
Personally I would go for a 24"IPS as it's more useful more of the time (better colour reproduction, better resolution etc etc)

My suggestions for a system for your usage is...

z77 sabertooth or P8Z77 V Pro.. Both Asus. matched to a 3770k (as your encoding and stuff)..
If you think you'll be doing much more encoding, rendering etc in the future and may upgrade to a hex core then the 2011(x79) boards and sb-e chips are worth a look.. If not stick to the 3770k

16GB Gskill 1600 ram.. you will not notice any real world performance difference in speeds above this... don't spend silly money and Gskill is used by more people here than the vengence.. read from that what you wish.

850Watt + PSU if you want sli at any point. 1000W is tri / quad sli territory. seasonic make PSU's for other companies such as XFX, Corsair and antec... if you find out which you can save on the seasonic branded stuff.

Seagate barricuda 7200.14 2 TB, just built a machine for my brother with one of these and they are hella quick for the money.. but short warranty.. WD is still a good choice. I would buy 2 and have them mirror in case 1 failed..
Big budget means you have no reason not to have a back-up HDD.

CPU cooler, either a noctua ND H14(or something like that) or a corsair H100..

SSD I would definately go 256GB.. with your budget there is no reason not to and it allows you to have more programs and games on the ssd and to get the benifit.. You don't want to run apps off a wd green..

GPU, the MSI PE 670 is as fast as a stock 680.. for $100 less.. If you find it's lacking power then you will see little difference to a 680 especially at your (new) resolution.. Go 670 or sli 670's IMO..

What headset(headphones) are you getting?
I'm no guru on sound but I do know that mid range stuff will see a bit of an increase in quality from a card.. I got a D1 recently and it's improved my sound.. but now the speakers are the limiting factor.
Unless your looking for audiophile levels of quality I would back down the range a bit to a DX / D1 rather than the ST. They produce great quality sound for most people at a fraction of the cost..
Old September 14, 2012, 10:23 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
On the monitor.. It will support 3d if you buy a glasses kit etc BUT as GTR7 said, it's more for smoother game-play in fps games..
Personally I would go for a 24"IPS as it's more useful more of the time (better colour reproduction, better resolution etc etc)
Ohhh... Well i dont like 3D tat much but if the monitor has that feature then even if i change my mind i could buy those glasses and watch 3D movies and games.... But as for now IPS is enough for me... isnt there anything which has both IPS and 3D hehe.. ^_^.... So which monitor would u suggest???

Quote:
z77 sabertooth or P8Z77 V Pro.. Both Asus. matched to a 3770k (as your encoding and stuff)..
If you think you'll be doing much more encoding, rendering etc in the future and may upgrade to a hex core then the 2011(x79) boards and sb-e chips are worth a look.. If not stick to the 3770k
Well ya thats what i wanted like having an upgrade option is better than not having a option upgrade at all... so in LGA 2011 which board and processor would u suggest???...

Quote:
16GB Gskill 1600 ram.. you will not notice any real world performance difference in speeds above this... don't spend silly money and Gskill is used by more people here than the vengence.. read from that what you wish.
Ohhhh ok... changed my mind..... will go for G Skill.....

Quote:
Seasonic make PSU's for other companies such as XFX, Corsair and antec... if you find out which you can save on the seasonic branded stuff.
This part i did not understand can u explain a bit...???

Quote:
Seagate barricuda 7200.14 2 TB, just built a machine for my brother with one of these and they are hella quick for the money.. but short warranty.. WD is still a good choice. I would buy 2 and have them mirror in case 1 failed..
Big budget means you have no reason not to have a back-up HDD

ohhhh ok... will think of buying another one too....

Quote:
CPU cooler, either a noctua ND H14(or something like that) or a corsair H100..
on Noctua this model Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 is it the same as ND H14???.... Corsair H100 Has a huge radiator does that make any difference???

Quote:
SSD I would definately go 256GB.. with your budget there is no reason not to and it allows you to have more programs and games on the ssd and to get the benifit.. You don't want to run apps off a wd green..
ohh ok... willl think of it too....

Quote:
GPU, the MSI PE 670 is as fast as a stock 680.. for $100 less.. If you find it's lacking power then you will see little difference to a 680 especially at your (new) resolution.. Go 670 or sli 670's IMO..
Well where i checked the price difference is almost the same... so i will stick with 680.... ^_^

Quote:
What headset(headphones) are you getting?
I'm no guru on sound but I do know that mid range stuff will see a bit of an increase in quality from a card.. I got a D1 recently and it's improved my sound.. but now the speakers are the limiting factor.
Unless your looking for audiophile levels of quality I would back down the range a bit to a DX / D1 rather than the ST. They produce great quality sound for most people at a fraction of the cost..
Well Sennheiser HD 700.... not right away but will buy it.. so having this sound card will be good tats wat i thought cuz it has Built-in headphone amp....

Quote:
Currently Selected Products for my Pc Build..

Motherboard:
Graphics Card: Asus Geforce GTX680 2GB
Processor:
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence ST
Sound System:
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Mechanical Keyboard(Dragon Age II Edition)
Mouse:
Case/Cabinet: Cooler Master Cosmos II
CPU Cooler:
Case Cooler:
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 16 GB RAM (F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL)
Power Supply:
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD

Last edited by syaoran7li; September 14, 2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old September 14, 2012, 11:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaoran7li View Post
Ohhh... Well i dont like 3D tat much but if the monitor has that feature then even if i change my mind i could buy those glasses and watch 3D movies and games.... But as for now IPS is enough for me... isnt there anything which has both IPS and 3D hehe.. ^_^.... So which monitor would u suggest???
I like the dells, good screens and great warranty. If your interested in bigger... check out the catleap thread in displays... 27" IPS for the same price as a 24"... use at your own risk but the feedback seems pretty positive so far and I am tempted myself.

No 120mhz ips yet (not properly)

Quote:
Well ya thats what i wanted like having an upgrade option is better than not having a option upgrade at all... so in LGA 2011 which board and processor would u suggest???...
The question for me is whether it's worth the extra cost.. Haswell is out next year and will probably beat the pant off any current 4 core stuff.. for the price of a hex core chip you would probably get a board and chip..
If YOU want to go 2011, then go for it.. I wouldn't unless you were going to do a LARGE amount of tasks that will use 8+ threads (hyper-threadding gives each core 2 threads so 12 for a hex core).. But it is your choice.. the suggestions above are solid and are not wrong.. just be sure it's what you want..

Quote:
This part i did not understand can u explain a bit...???
Seasonic manufacture PSU's.. they also supply some other brands for certain ones within their lines (eg corsair TX650V2)
But they are generally cheaper than Seasonic as your not paying for their name..
Gold rated is expensive... nothing wrong with getting it but the bronze ones are damn good units and much cheaper.. Again your shout, just pointing out options..

Quote:
ohhhh ok... will think of buying another one too....
This is good if you will have data, work etc that you'll not want to lose.. If I had the budget in my builds I would do it every time.. Again.. pointing out options for you to look at and then choose.

Quote:
on Noctua this model Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 is it the same as ND H14???.... Corsair H100 Has a huge radiator does that make any difference???
They are the same but the 2011 has the mount for the x79 boards.. the other one has mounts for 1155 etc.

Quote:
ohh ok... willl think of it too....
Remember SSD's are also faster with larger size and you should never fill them totally.. Getting a larger drive will give you better starting performance, keep the drive healthier for longer and allow you to have more programs games etc where you want them (on the fast drive and not on your HDD which would be for data only)

Quote:
Well where i checked the price difference is almost the same... so i will stick with 680.... ^_^
WoW.. May I ask where your buying from.. anywhere I've checked outside the US/Canada has had a LARGER gap not smaller between the 670's and 680's (UK, Germany, france, Ireland, India, China, Ukraine) Thats not to say I know the best sites for the likes of India and china.. was just ones other people were looking for bits from..
P.S, if you go for a 27" IPS, you will want dual cards.. a single 670 / 680 will work but the FPS will drop allot over the likes of 1080 res screens..

Quote:
Well Sennheiser HD 700.... not right away but will buy it.. so having this sound card will be good tats wat i thought cuz it has Built-in headphone amp....
As I said before, I'm no audio guru.. Headphone amp should help if you find that you don't get enough kick (volume) normally but really they are meant for high-end gear with a high-impedance.
Others here would be able to better tell you the ins and outs of what your getting and what would be best suited to a set of cans like the HD 700's..
I have a feeling you would hear a slight difference (aside from the amp giving better volume) over the d1 / dx but that you may need to go higher again to get the full effect of the card.
For something like this I would start a separate thread in the audio section.. you can also get more opinions of your current speakers..
Old September 15, 2012, 12:28 AM
Top Prospect

Wow.. thats a whole lot of information... Thank u so much for sharing.... ^_^

Quote:
I like the dells, good screens and great warranty. If your interested in bigger... check out the catleap thread in displays... 27" IPS for the same price as a 24"... use at your own risk but the feedback seems pretty positive so far and I am tempted myself.

No 120mhz ips yet (not properly)
Dell is that company really good... cuz everywhere i look its like Dell haters...

Quote:
The question for me is whether it's worth the extra cost.. Haswell is out next year and will probably beat the pant off any current 4 core stuff.. for the price of a hex core chip you would probably get a board and chip..
If YOU want to go 2011, then go for it.. I wouldn't unless you were going to do a LARGE amount of tasks that will use 8+ threads (hyper-threadding gives each core 2 threads so 12 for a hex core).. But it is your choice.. the suggestions above are solid and are not wrong.. just be sure it's what you want..
so haswell chips wont support LGA2011?? if i go with 2011 then there is only sandy bridge right?? tat means the processor will be cheaper than the ivy bridge ones... and also it doesn have a hex core processor right??? what i mean is when im building i will buy a LGA 2011 board and so later on if i want to upgrade to a ivy bridge i can right?? is it the same case for LGA 1155???

Quote:
Seasonic manufacture PSU's.. they also supply some other brands for certain ones within their lines (eg corsair TX650V2)
But they are generally cheaper than Seasonic as your not paying for their name..
Gold rated is expensive... nothing wrong with getting it but the bronze ones are damn good units and much cheaper.. Again your shout, just pointing out options..
ohhhh...ok will check again.... can u suggest me some...???

Quote:
WoW.. May I ask where your buying from.. anywhere I've checked outside the US/Canada has had a LARGER gap not smaller between the 670's and 680's (UK, Germany, france, Ireland, India, China, Ukraine) Thats not to say I know the best sites for the likes of India and china.. was just ones other people were looking for bits from..
P.S, if you go for a 27" IPS, you will want dual cards.. a single 670 / 680 will work but the FPS will drop allot over the likes of 1080 res screens..
Im from india and im buying from here

Theitdepot - Zotac Geforce GTX680 2GB DDR5 NVidia PCI E Graphics Card

Theitdepot - Zotac Geforce GTX670 4GB DDR5 NVidia PCI E Graphics Card

Quote:

Motherboard:
Processor:
Sound System:
Mouse:
CPU Cooler:
Case Cooler:
Power Supply:
Old September 15, 2012, 12:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'll just pop in and say that Dell make some of the best IPS monitors in the world. Their computers are ok office machines, but not for gaming enthusiasts.
Old September 15, 2012, 12:49 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I'll just pop in and say that Dell make some of the best IPS monitors in the world. Their computers are ok office machines, but not for gaming enthusiasts.

Ohhh they do.. ok will check it out... Thanks... ^_^
Old September 15, 2012, 01:04 AM
Top Prospect

Few of my questions got cleared.. so excluding tat and some new questions.....

4. For Sound Card i like ASUS Xonar Essence ST... is this a good choice????
5. For Mouse i like this Gaming Mouse Razer Naga.. this is a good Mouse for gaming right or is there a better one???
7. For CPU Cooler, Corsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler or Noctua NH-C14 which is better or is there a better one??
8. For Case Fans, Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm Blue Led Silent Fan and Cooler Master FAN - EXCALIBUR R4-EXBB-20PK-RO are these two good... cuz i will be buying 2 fans... or is there a better fan???
9. Can you guys suggest me a good Sound System under $300...???
10. For Motherboard and Processor, The sockets LGA1155 or LGA2011 Which is Best??... Will LGA2011 support Ivy bridge processor cuz every where i see its sandy bridge for LGA2011??... And Like GT7R said LGA1155 doesnt have any upgrade options in the future?? and the faster it can get is 3770k and there wont be faster processor for LGA1155????

Quote:

Motherboard:
Processor:
Sound System:
Mouse:
CPU Cooler:
Case Cooler:
Power Supply: Seasonic 850W Power Supply (SS-850KM)
Old September 15, 2012, 01:37 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

4. For Sound Card i like ASUS Xonar Essence ST... is this a good choice????
5. For Mouse i like this Gaming Mouse Razer Naga.. this is a good Mouse for gaming right or is there a better one???
7. For CPU Cooler, Corsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler or Noctua NH-C14 which is better or is there a better one??
8. For Case Fans, Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm Blue Led Silent Fan and Cooler Master FAN - EXCALIBUR R4-EXBB-20PK-RO are these two good... cuz i will be buying 2 fans... or is there a better fan???
9. Can you guys suggest me a good Sound System under $300...???
10. For Motherboard and Processor, The sockets LGA1155 or LGA2011 Which is Best??... Will LGA2011 support Ivy bridge processor cuz every where i see its sandy bridge for LGA2011??... And Like GT7R said LGA1155 doesnt have any upgrade options in the future?? and the faster it can get is 3770k and there wont be faster processor for LGA1155????
Again, it all depends about how much the performance/dollar ratio is important for you. If as you've stated that you don't care much about budget, then IMO a s2011 will be better for you in the long run.
Your sound card choice is good, and as for sound system it depends a lot on what will you be using it for. Personally I like a quality 2.1 system (Corsair SP2500 for example) to sit in front of me (mainly for music) and not a huge 5.1 setup around the desk.
But again - i'ts all personal preference.
Same goes for the mouse choice - whether you prefer a palm grip, a claw grip, is it for gaming, or for ling hours of graphic design & editing etc...
Generally speaking you choice of parts above is solid, you just need to decide what YOU really want and or need from your rig. But if you really don't mind the costs then why not, build yourself a nice s2011 machine and be happy :)
Old September 15, 2012, 01:47 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
Again, it all depends about how much the performance/dollar ratio is important for you. If as you've stated that you don't care much about budget, then IMO a s2011 will be better for you in the long run.
Your sound card choice is good, and as for sound system it depends a lot on what will you be using it for. Personally I like a quality 2.1 system (Corsair SP2500 for example) to sit in front of me (mainly for music) and not a huge 5.1 setup around the desk.
But again - i'ts all personal preference.
Same goes for the mouse choice - whether you prefer a palm grip, a claw grip, is it for gaming, or for ling hours of graphic design & editing etc...
Generally speaking you choice of parts above is solid, you just need to decide what YOU really want and or need from your rig. But if you really don't mind the costs then why not, build yourself a nice s2011 machine and be happy :)

hehe thats a good suggestion.. the i will go with a 2011 board... ohh cool so sound card is good.. then i want to know a few abt this sound card...

these r the things i want to do with the sound card...

1. Connect to a sound system..
2. connect a headphone using the case front panel connectors..

can i do these two in the sound card i have choosen???

Quote:

Motherboard:
Processor:
Sound System:
Mouse: Razer Naga Laser Gaming Mouse
CPU Cooler:
Case Cooler:
Old September 15, 2012, 01:49 AM
Top Prospect

7. For CPU Cooler, Corsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler or Noctua which is better or is there a better one?? H100 has a huge radiator right so does it make any difference compared to noctua??
11. these r the things i want to do with the sound card...

a. Connect to a 5.1 sound system..
b. connect a headphone using the case front panel connectors..

can i do these two in the sound card ASUS Xonar Essence ST???
12. Once again question abt motherboard... just want to make sure that LGA 2011 boards will support newer ivy bridge processors right??
15. Guys Can you suggest me a good IPS monitor???

Quote:

Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Processor: Intel Core i7-3930K
Sound System: Logitech Surround Sound Speakers Z506
Mouse: Razer Naga Laser Gaming Mouse
CPU Cooler:
Case Cooler: Cooler Master Megaflow 200, Cooler Master Excalibur Cooler

Last edited by syaoran7li; September 15, 2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Added a Few More Questions