Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14, 2012, 08:13 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by zypho View Post
Try not to take offense to this.

But I believe you should hold off part searching and planning your build. Its very clear this is new to you and your just googling "Whats the best of ____, and What _____ for hard core gamers". Its awesome that you have come here looking for help, thats what we are here for. But until you go out and read some reviews, look at some benchmarks and learn some basic terms and how things go together. You won't understand any of the advise we are giving you. I think most of us on here will admit we regret decisions in our first... second.. maybe third build. There is no way to avoid this, it always happens. Best thing to try and do is avoid as many as possible. For your current situation here is what I could recommend to you.

Drop the Cosmos II, its WAY to big for your parts to fill and is massive, there are tons of cool looking Mid-tower cases out there that can visually and performance impress you. You're looking at paying anywhere between $300-$350 US for that case (Might be more where you're at not sure) and you wont use it to its full potential, few of us would. You can get a very cool looking case and save yourself a ton of money. Check out the Corsair 600T, its one of the nicest looking mid-tower cases out there right now, or one of the Coolermaster HAF series.

Stick with the GTX680 if you like Nvidia, thats not a bad card at all and will run pretty much anything maxed out on 1 monitor at 1920x1200 and below.

Skip the soundcard, unless your going to drop $300+ on a sound system right now save your money and hold off. Most onboard cards are decent now for any low-mid range speakers.

Motherboard, yes ROG boards are "made for gamers" from asus, mainly it means your paying more money to have that ROG brand and a red color themed motherboard, other Asus boards will do any hard core gamer just fine! A good combo for board and processor is what I have. ( Asus P9X79 Pro + Intel i7 3820 ) It is socket 2011 and overclocks very well on a H100 cooler. Stock speed is 3.8Ghz and I am running mine at 4.8Ghz right now and can push it further.

To summarize what I am saying.. Spend your money on a solid motherboard + cpu & gpu, get a case that fits your needs and doesn't cost you $350 when you wont use the full case anyways. Get a good quality SSD, and spend the rest of your budget upgrading your monitor. Gaming at 16" is terrible lol. And check out all the reviews/benchmarks you can find!

Hehe... i sure wont mind... Im just happy to hear ur comments so i can learn more from u guys.... ^_^
That part abt searching which is best is exactly what i did.... but then i realised it doesnt make any sense... so i started watching many videos read many reviews... and i have just a fair bit idea of what i am doing.... but i cant make up my mind to buy what??? thats y i am here... so if i get ur suggestion i will check out the products and i can decide...

Abt cosmos II i know what u r saying is true... but i just dont know why but my mind is fixated on it... its like i just want it sooo much.... tats y i decided i will buy it.... i checked out the corsair 600T its nice... in most of the videos i have see they used this case.... but still cosmos II pops up in my mind...hehe...

hehe ya i know... my monitor is bad... tats y i decided to buy BenQ XL2420T like GT7R suggested...

i got some doubts with the monitor too... its 3D so do i need glasses to watch 3D movies or Games??

Quote:
Currently Selected Products for my Pc Build..

Motherboard:
Graphics Card: Asus Geforce GTX680 2GB
Processor:
Sound Card:
Sound System:
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Mechanical Keyboard(Dragon Age II Edition)
Mouse:
Case/Cabinet: Cooler Master Cosmos II
CPU Cooler:
Case Cooler:
RAM:
Power Supply:
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD

Last edited by syaoran7li; September 14, 2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Edited My selected Products... ^_^
Old September 14, 2012, 08:27 AM
Top Prospect

I have a few Doubts Right now...

1. I have selected BenQ XL2420T Monitor and it features 3D... So for viewing content do i need 3D glasses???
2. Abt RAM... in the processors 3930k and 3770k , the Memory Type Supported its written DDR3-1600 and DDR3-1333, DDR3-1600... so does this mean if i buy DDR3-2400 like Gskill Trident X will the processor support it????

Quote:

Motherboard:
Processor:
Sound Card:
Sound System:
Mouse:
CPU Cooler:
Case Cooler:
RAM:
Power Supply:
Old September 14, 2012, 08:48 AM
Top Prospect

How about giving us a rough estimate of what you would like to spend after everything is bought, will give us a better idea of what to recommend. $1000? $1500? $2500?
Old September 14, 2012, 09:02 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
How about giving us a rough estimate of what you would like to spend after everything is bought, will give us a better idea of what to recommend. $1000? $1500? $2500?
2500 maybe... like i said earlier price doesnt matter as long as it completes my objective.. But one thing is the pricing for each product must be reasonable and not something like the processor 3960x... the processor 3960x its priced pretty high and it might have the features for tat high price... but what i think is all those features r not fully utilised as of now cuz all the games and apps doesnt require 6 cores... so if i buy it half the cores will be useless...unless i am going to do something extraordinary....

so if the products have a reasonable price its ok with me.... ^_^
Old September 14, 2012, 09:29 AM
Top Prospect

Step one: Buy a GTX690, Step 2: Use remaining $1500 for rest of components. Will last you quite a long time
Old September 14, 2012, 09:32 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Step one: Buy a GTX690, Step 2: Use remaining $1500 for rest of components. Will last you quite a long time

Okay suggestions for the components???
Old September 14, 2012, 10:15 AM
Top Prospect

I have a few More Doubts Right now...

1. I have selected BenQ XL2420T Monitor and it features 3D... So for viewing content do i need 3D glasses???
2. Abt RAM... in the processors 3930k and 3770k , the Memory Type Supported its written DDR3-1600 and DDR3-1333, DDR3-1600... so does this mean if i buy DDR3-2400 like Gskill Trident X will the processor support it????
3. For RAM which one should i pick GSkill RipjawsX or GSkill TridentX??? Or is there anything better??
4. For Sound Card i like ASUS Xonar Essence ST... is this a good choice????

Quote:

Motherboard:
Processor:
Sound Card:
Sound System:
Mouse:
CPU Cooler:
Case Cooler:
RAM:
Power Supply:
Old September 14, 2012, 11:20 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaoran7li View Post
I have a few More Doubts Right now...

3. For RAM which one should i pick GSkill RipjawsX or GSkill TridentX??? Or is there anything better??
Answers:

1. Yes, you will need 3D glasses to view 3D content on that monitor, NVIDIA makes a kit for it, usually around $200 last time I checked ( could be lower now )
2. When you see speeds like 2400 they are referring to overclocked ram, so when you look at a processor it will only says DDR3-1600 because thats a stock non overclocked speed. When looking at specs of motherboards they will tell you what speeds have been tested to work on the board, and they will include overclocked speeds. Pay more attention to the speeds the motherboard supports rather than the processor.
3. I think the Ripjaws seem to be more popular. Me personally I would go with some corsair vengeance ram, but between those two I would say Ripjaws will do you good.
4. What exactly are you planning to run off that sound card? First, I thought that sound-card was discontinued/replaced ( could be wrong ) and second you wont notice much of a difference vs onboard sound unless your using high end speakers/receiver/headset.
Old September 14, 2012, 11:44 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
1. Yes, you will need 3D glasses to view 3D content on that monitor, NVIDIA makes a kit for it, usually around $200 last time I checked ( could be lower now )
Ohh ok... Thanks... Sometimes i might by the 3D kit too... but it will be the last option....

Quote:
2. When you see speeds like 2400 they are referring to overclocked ram, so when you look at a processor it will only says DDR3-1600 because thats a stock non overclocked speed. When looking at specs of motherboards they will tell you what speeds have been tested to work on the board, and they will include overclocked speeds. Pay more attention to the speeds the motherboard supports rather than the processor.
Wow cool... tat explained a lot... Thanks....

Quote:
3. I think the Ripjaws seem to be more popular. Me personally I would go with some corsair vengeance ram, but between those two I would say Ripjaws will do you good.
So Corsair Vengance is Good...?? Then will Choose it... Does it have a 16GB Version... The Online Store Where i buy only has *Gig DIMM... Can i Buy 2 8 Gig DIMM to make it 16????

Quote:
4. What exactly are you planning to run off that sound card? First, I thought that sound-card was discontinued/replaced ( could be wrong ) and second you wont notice much of a difference vs onboard sound unless your using high end speakers/receiver/headset.
Well im planning on buying a high end Sennheiser Headphone... so i thought having a good Sound card will help in better music quality and for gaming too..... Not just headphone but im planning on buying a good sound system too...

Quote:

Motherboard:
Processor:
Sound Card:
Sound System:
Mouse:
CPU Cooler:
Case Cooler:
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz x2
Power Supply:

Last edited by syaoran7li; September 14, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old September 14, 2012, 12:08 PM
Top Prospect

Few of my questions got cleared.. so excluding tat and some new questions.....

5. For Mouse i like this Gaming Mouse Razer Naga.. this is a good Mouse for gaming right or is there a better one???
6. For Power Supply Seasonic X Series - 80 Plus Gold SS-850KM will this be enough for my build?? or is there a better one???
7. For CPU Cooler, Corsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler or Cooler Master V6 CPU Cooler which is better or is there a better one??
8. For Case Fans, Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm Blue Led Silent Fan and Cooler Master FAN - EXCALIBUR R4-EXBB-20PK-RO are these two good... cuz i will be buying 2 fans... or is there a better fan???
9. Can you guys suggest me a good Sound System under $300...???
10. For Motherboard and Processor, The sockets LGA1155 or LGA2011 Which is Best??... Will LGA2011 support Ivy bridge processor cuz every where i see its sandy bridge for LGA2011??... And Like GT7R said LGA1155 doesnt have any upgrade options in the future?? and the faster it can get is 3770k and there wont be faster processor for LGA1155????

Quote:

Motherboard:
Processor:
Sound Card:
Sound System:
Mouse:
CPU Cooler:
Case Cooler:
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz x2
Power Supply:

Last edited by syaoran7li; September 14, 2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Added a Few More Questions