Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   My first build.. suggestions please (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/56659-my-first-build-suggestions-please.html)

suihigh September 11, 2012 08:23 PM

My first build.. suggestions please

I am going to be building a new computer here in the near future. Will be my first time building one, so if anyone has links to step by step guide on putting together i would appreciate it :D.
Currently my pc i been using for last 2 1/2 years (be sure not to die of laughter) emachines EL1300G-02w.
With all these new games currently coming out, i am in desperate need of a gaming rig. So after alot of looking around i think i've narrowed it down to what my build will consist of. Here is what im thinking of using; instead of typing out everything i have a link of the list of parts. My budget is 1200-1500 range.
feel free to suggest which parts to switch out to and what not :D

Intel Core i5-3570K, MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti, Cooler Master Storm Scout - System Build - PCPartPicker

wirerogue September 11, 2012 08:57 PM

looks pretty good.

just remember, that 120gb ssd fills up awfully fast when your gaming. if you can swing a 240gb, i would highly recommend it.

suihigh September 11, 2012 10:30 PM

was just looking at some other SSD's and didnt realize how cheap they are becoming now, ill prob switch that out for a higher storage one. Is the 750w psu overkill, or would be good to keep in the build for when i get a 2nd card for 2 way sli?

Dzzope September 11, 2012 10:50 PM

650 would be sufficient for sli 660's but 750 will give you a bit of breathing room.

A single 660 will be plenty for 1080 resolution.. if you think you'll need more power or will go SLI for a larger or multi-monitor set-up in the future then I would say grab a 670 now instead..
or if it's going to be over a year away then your best to probably get the next generation of card and stay on a single card.

Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (67NPH6DV5ZVX) - PCPartPicker
Stock cooler (though I think a 680's stock cooler) but a pretty good deal..

486 September 12, 2012 11:40 AM

If you have 120GB SSD and your Steam folder is getting too large - simply buy another 120GB SSD and move Steam folder there. I have got 256GB SSD and still keep Steam folder on the second SSD.

bonanza2000 September 12, 2012 11:46 AM

oh I like that web site you found! pcpartpicker! interesting

massornament September 14, 2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suihigh (Post 654868)
Will be my first time building one, so if anyone has links to step by step guide on putting together i would appreciate it :D.

My friends and I put on PC building workshops every year (to spread the PC-building fun) and to accompany them we created a basic PC assembly guide, it is available as a pdf here:

New Media PC Building Workshops

And if you are in the Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada area next weekend, there is a free workshop too. :haha: