Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   New Build (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/56518-new-build.html)

overhauled101 September 4, 2012 07:07 PM

New Build

Just put this together yesterday:

Case: Coolermaster HAF 932 Adavanced
MOBO: MSI Z77A-GD65
CPU: i5 3570k OC'd to 4.0GHz
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
HD: 2 TB Seagate Barracuda
GPU: Galaxy GeForce GTX 680 GC 1110MHZ 2GB
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengence Low Profile 1600
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Phoebus

dandelioneater September 4, 2012 07:36 PM

pics? that rig is in need of an SSD. Intel, crucial, corsair, ocz vertex to name a few. Nice setup though:thumb:

486 September 4, 2012 07:49 PM

IBT standard and IBT Very High temps? SSD - Crucial FTW :)

zypho September 4, 2012 08:10 PM

Pics of the rig and what your running with for sound on that Phoebus card

Dzzope September 5, 2012 01:06 PM

Nice rig but as said above you should have an SSD in there and I hope you have some high-end audio gear hooked up to the Phoebus, otherwise it's wasted.

overhauled101 September 7, 2012 05:29 AM

I will try and post some pics after work. I actually ended up taking the sound card out and gave it back to my buddy. Just thought it would be nice to have one but after thinking about it, the card is really wasted for me just using the system to game. I did however pick an Intel 520 240GB SSD. Oh and I noticed I didn't post my PSU which is an XFX 850.

dma0991 September 7, 2012 06:25 AM

I don't think having a sound card is a total waste. The Realtek ALC898 on the MSI Z77A-GD65 is pretty bad despite what the specs on that onboard sound card might be. If you're using expensive headphones/speakers, you'll find the ALC898 is underwhelming, in games or music.

Dzzope September 7, 2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dma0991 (Post 653970)
I don't think having a sound card is a total waste. The Realtek ALC898 on the MSI Z77A-GD65 is pretty bad despite what the specs on that onboard sound card might be. If you're using expensive headphones/speakers, you'll find the ALC898 is underwhelming, in games or music.

A sound card.. yes..
The Phoebus is $200 though and you want high end audio gear to make use of it.

overhauled101 September 7, 2012 07:57 AM

I am not using high end headphones but I seem to get pretty decent sound from the board. But if I decide to go more high end then maybe I will re-consider with the sound card. Glad I picked up the SSD though. You guys were right for having that.

dma0991 September 7, 2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzzope (Post 653987)
A sound card.. yes..
The Phoebus is $200 though and you want high end audio gear to make use of it.

Since I do have an Audio Technica AD700 for gaming and Audio Technica M50 for music, the difference is very obvious. A cheap USB DAC that I'm currently using is miles ahead in comparison to the onboard sound in terms of volume and quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by overhauled101 (Post 653990)
I am not using high end headphones but I seem to get pretty decent sound from the board. But if I decide to go more high end then maybe I will re-consider with the sound card. Glad I picked up the SSD though. You guys were right for having that.

If the onboard sound is plugged into a pair of average priced speakers, it won't sound that different as you could turn up the speaker volume. With headphones, there isn't an option to do so unless I direct it to an amp but I don't see the point of amplifying sound signal that is weak to begin with. Should you find the need to upgrade the sound in the near future, consider the Asus Xonar Essence STX instead if you're going with a good pair of headphones. A DAC would be better but that's the domain of audiophiles, it can get complicated and expensive. Pair that up with the Audio Technica AD700's and you'll have a killer setup for gaming.

Good call on the SSD, it is well worth the money and one of the best upgrades one could make.