Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3, 2012, 06:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Seeking reactions to mid-level gaming build

Okay, this is a gaming build that I consider mid-level. By that, I mean a great video card without immediate SLI plans, as well as a system good for basic (but not extreme) over-clocking.

Processor - Intel Core i5-3570K
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D14
Motherboard - ASRock Z77 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory - Corsair CML16GX3M2A1600C10 Low Profile 2X8GB DDR3-1600
SSD - Plextor 128GB SSD MS5 2.5 SATA3 6GB/S
HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3
Graphics Card - Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC 1006MHZ 2GB
Optical Drive ----- (will install my own DVD burner)
Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini
Power Supply - Corsair TX650 V2 650W Power Supply
Operating System - MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

- Original plan was for the Arc Midi case, but supplier is out of stock. Thought Mini would work just as well.
- Original SSD was going to be OCZ Vertex 4; no real reason to change except small price difference
- Original graphics was Gigabyte GTX 670 OC; the Galaxy card seems to be even faster.

Any comments on system using current build?
Old September 3, 2012, 07:19 PM
Allstar

Do you really need 16GB of RAM? I would double check who made Corsair's PSU. You can't fit a ATX board inside a mATX case.
Old September 3, 2012, 08:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My take on 16GB of ram is that you're only saving about $40 sticking with 8, not where I would cut my budget....
Old September 3, 2012, 08:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

As above, the case is too small for the motherboard. Bigger case or smaller motherboard.

I'd almost consider this a slightly higher then mid-range build. You could easily shave off that 670 to a 660 when they launch soon, and drop down to 8 gigs of RAM* and none of that low-profile stuff unless you absolutely need it. Nice fat heatsinks are more desirable, as would the additional power you can pump through them for those moderate overclocking purposes. a 660 is what, 85-90% of the power of a 670? Hardly a significant loss, all for a savings of around $120 I'd guess. Pocket that cash and pop another 660 in there down the road when they're cheaper ($200 in a year I'd also guess.) for a good ~75% more performance then a 670 right this very moment.

*If you're just gaming, 8 is enough. If you're rendering or doing something else intensive, stick with 16.
Old September 3, 2012, 08:36 PM
Top Prospect

With RAM prices these days, may as well buy 16 for that additional headroom even if it's not a necessity. The Extreme4-m would fit in that case, as previously mentioned that it is a m-ATX chassis, the Corsair PSU is a solid unit and it looks to be a good build overall. The performance between the Galaxy and Gigabyte cards will be fairly even, as most overclocked cards may only offer a few fps difference if that, buy on brand loyalty, warranty,included accessories over the few extra MHz.
Old September 4, 2012, 05:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Gigabyte card would have better cooling and be quieter
Old September 4, 2012, 05:36 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

If you are going with that case, better to get an Asus Maximus Gene V for overclocking. Gigabyte or Asus brand for vid card.....think about the warrenty.
Old September 4, 2012, 09:01 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Regarding the case: Right, my bad. I should have remembered that, if I wanted the Mini case, that I would need to switch to the Extreme4-M. I'll have to update tha one way or the other.

Regarding the memory: Granted, for gaming, all I would need right now is 8 GB of RAM, but I still want to give myself some leeway there. Unless I need to, I'll stick with the 16. As for the Low Profile memory, I was advised by a tech at the computer store that I'd need Low Profile memory if I wanted to use the Noctua NH-D14, since the extra fan encroaches on the RAM area of the motherboard.

Regarding the graphics card: I think that the savings of the Galaxy over the Gigabyte is something like $20, as well as the innate overclocking. Still, I suppose that there is still a good argument to be made if the Gigabyte is more solidly and reliably built.
Old September 4, 2012, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Think your safe with Galaxy.. Their products seem to get better with every release and they seem very helpful too, there is even a Galaxy rep on these forums if you ever have a problem. :)
Old September 4, 2012, 12:50 PM
MVP

My System Specs

32GB of ram FTW!
Intel i7-3770
Kingstone HyperX 2 x 8GB
Crucial M4 256GB + 128 GB
Sapphire Radeon HD7970
Nec Multisync LCD2690WUXI