Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12, 2012, 09:50 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Also, it occurs to me that, if I did still get the 16GB of RAM, I could kepp 8GB for normal system operation and use the other 8 GB for either a RAM cache (to speed up one of my hard drives) or as a RAM drive (I was reading about how some of the RD software does write to an HDD when the system shuts down such that the ramdrive's data isn't lost).
Old September 12, 2012, 09:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Asus has Canadian RMA too as far as I know.

8GB ramdisk is limited in it's usefulness but I suppose it's a start to play with and maybe go to 32GB in the future for a much more effective ramdisk.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griezz View Post
Okay, I see that MSI has repair centers in both BC and Ontario. It seems to be hte only one, as both Gigabyte and ASUS are sent to California; I didn't find out where Asrock motherboards go to.
Where did you get your info from??? I happen to work at a Asus Repair site we are everywhere in Canada, one on Vancouver Island, 2 in Vancouver, 2 in Calgary and many more in every province. Dont get me wrong though MSI has a great RMA team to, theirs in Canada is #1 at the moment so good for them :)
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old September 13, 2012, 09:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soullessone21 View Post
Where did you get your info from??? I happen to work at a Asus Repair site we are everywhere in Canada, one on Vancouver Island, 2 in Vancouver, 2 in Calgary and many more in every province. Dont get me wrong though MSI has a great RMA team to, theirs in Canada is #1 at the moment so good for them :)
<LOL> So you're working at an ASUS repair site, but your tagline indicates that you're looking for work in Calgary area. Either something needs updating or possible workplace issues? :)
Old September 13, 2012, 09:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griezz View Post
<LOL> So you're working at an ASUS repair site, but your tagline indicates that you're looking for work in Calgary area. Either something needs updating or possible workplace issues? :)
Trying to move, had enough of the west coast and being a contracted employee haha.

Asus lost most of its high end and great RMA team to the MSI team in the last year and a half. pretty much anyone fun to work with left and most of the teams that are left are contracted out like myself and are getting ready for change and new employment
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old September 13, 2012, 09:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Anyways, it turns out that my communicaiton issues with the NCIX store may turn out to be a lucky break. Using the numbers for their sale that started today, I could save around $150 just by making a few more substitutions...

Processor - i5-3570K
Motherboard - MSI Z77A-G45
CPU Cooler - Corsair H80 Water-based CPU Cooler
Memory - Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 2X4GB
Operating System - MS Windows 7 H.P. 64-bit
SSD - OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 128 GB
HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3
Graphics Card - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC
Case - Bitfenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid-tower Case
Case Accessory - Bitfenix USB 3.0 Case Upgrade for Shinobi
Power Supply - PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk.II 750W 80+ Silver

Initial Subtotal for this package - $1356.02
Total including manuf. rebates - $1286.02
Final total including taxes - $1453.20 (!!!)

(For those who advocated a "cool-looking" case.. like I said, I like simplicity -
BitFenix.com » Products » Chassis » Shinobi Window)
Old September 13, 2012, 09:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you have the budget to spare the only thing I would change would be to bump the SSD to 256GB..
Got a 128 GB about 8 - 9 months ago and am running out of room sooo bad on it and it cost the same as a 256gb vertex 4.. :(
Old September 14, 2012, 06:27 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

When I realized that I would be able to come under $1,500 even with taxes, one of the first things I considered was getting a bigger SSD. However, I wasn't sure whether I needed to get one 256 GB drive or two 128 GB drives in RAID 0. Now, I know that putting SSD drives in RAID 0 takes away the "garbage collection" feature for SSDs, correct? I also know that a RAID 0 set would be faster than one drive alone. The question is whether the speed would be enough of a difference to be worth the loss of GC.
Old October 4, 2012, 05:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

System purchased & set-up. Now to start with learning how to overclock. :)