Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 7, 2012, 03:48 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well first thing, this is not a Mid Level Gaming Rig Its a pretty kick ass set up...
I dont think there is gonna be any game that you cannot play on it.
If you read reviews regarding RAM for Gaming there is pretty much no use getting 16GB.
Get a Cooler looking Casing ... that is all that there is to be said.
System will Rock
Old September 7, 2012, 04:13 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Should just get 8gb of the samsung 32nm ram. Not sure why I see so many builds with 16gb of ram for people who will never even break 4gb most of the time.
Old September 8, 2012, 04:47 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well it just cause some like more Kinda addiction for the Hardware.
I was at one time doing Tri-Sli, and after sometime I realized that even 1x GPU would be enough to play the games that I wanted to play, and, just probably matured overtime.
Off course if you have $$$ to spare and a "Hobby" to feed, you are gonna go crazy almost every time while buying hardware
Old September 8, 2012, 06:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

A pretty sweet system you have there!
Old September 8, 2012, 11:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

not sure about the case or that SSD, but it looks like a very solid build.
Old September 8, 2012, 02:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Okay, a few changes made to save a few bucks while not sacrificing quality:

Processor Intel 3570K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77X-UP4-TH
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14
Memory Corsair CML16GX3M2A1600C10 Low Pro. 2X8GB
O/S Win7HP64-bit
SSD 120GB Intel 520 SSD
HDD Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3
Graphics Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC
Optical Drive ----- (will install my own DVD burner)
Case Fractal Design Core 3000
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk2 750W

By choosing the above build, using my own Blu-Ray/DVD burner, taking advantage of manufacturer rebates, and having NCIX assemble it for me, I can have the above system for a grand total of $1,424.87 plus taxes.
Old September 11, 2012, 01:29 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Haven't bought the system yet, so still open to changes.

Re: RAM - I suppose I will consider dropping the RAM, since it seems that everyone agrees that I wouldn't need the 16. The only thing which might use the 16 is video conversion, such as MPG to AVI or MP4, and I don't see that happening too often.

Re: cases - See, that is one thing that I never understood. When I get a system, I want as much power as I can get under the hood, right? So what is "on the hood" matters little. All kinds of flanges? See-through panels so you can see lights inside? An etched alien figure with glowing eyes? None of these things do anything for me. Oh, I'll search through cases, looking for better ones, but for me, that means useful features: front USB3 ports, filtered air intake ports, or maybe sound-dampening side-panels. Sure, some people might love splashy cases, but to me, it comes down to this...

When I'm not looking at the computer, I am not looking at the case. When I am at the computer, I am looking at the monitor, not the case. As such, why spend extra on case appearance.
Old September 11, 2012, 02:38 PM
Allstar

same reason people buy nice clothes. it makes you feel good and it makes others think you're good ;)
Old September 11, 2012, 04:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

if your based in Canada, swap the gigashyte board for an MSI..
(I've never ever had a good experience with a gigabyte board and it's only made worse by their horrible customer service and that you'll have to ship to the US if you have a problem)
Old September 11, 2012, 11:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
if your based in Canada, swap the gigashyte board for an MSI..
(I've never ever had a good experience with a gigabyte board and it's only made worse by their horrible customer service and that you'll have to ship to the US if you have a problem)
Okay, I see that MSI has repair centers in both BC and Ontario. It seems to be hte only one, as both Gigabyte and ASUS are sent to California; I didn't find out where Asrock motherboards go to.

I should mention that my retailer, NCIX, uses Gigabyte motherboards as the default motherboard brand in their "custom" system, but you can always ask them for a specific quote using other parts. Specifically, they said that, in their experience, there is actually less returns on Asrock or Gigabyte, compared to MSI. Personally, I'd rather have the board that has a rep for going bad less than the alternative, even if it is easier or faster to get the alternative repaired if necessary.