Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 31, 2012, 01:18 PM
Trial Member

Default New Build Freezes Up

Hello,
I recently built a new gaming rig with parts from newegg.com. The assembly process and initial boot went pretty well, but as soon as I installed W7 and loaded up the (correct) drivers for my Mobo and components the system began crashing frequently (every ~5 minutes). When it does crash, the screen freezes up and is completely unresponsive. The crashes can occur anytime, including the splash screen and BIOS. Occasionally, the system even turns itself off prior to the splash screen. I initially thought the problem was due to faulty drivers, but it persisted even when I loaded up the outdated drivers from the disk included with my Mobo. I tested the ram, but Windows memory check came up with nothing and the "Mem OK!" light is off. I want to get this thing working ASAP, so anything anyone can think of will be considered. Thanks!

Specs below:

Cpu: Intel i7 3770k
Gpu: Geforce 680 GTX
MOBO: P8 Z77-V LK
RAM: 16 GB (4x4) Corsair Vengeance LP (running at 1333)
PSU: 750 Watt
HDD: 2 TB WD Caviar Green at SATA 6.0 GB/s
Old August 31, 2012, 02:33 PM
Top Prospect

Have you updated the BIOS?
I'd suggest reseating the RAM, GPU, checking that all power connectors are firmly seated as well.
If the problem still persists, try using just a single stick of RAM for further troubleshooting.
Old August 31, 2012, 05:12 PM
MVP

I bet 5:1 you have an unused mounting screw shorting out your board somewhere. Remove the mb and check to see that all the mounting screws are indeed in the right places.
Old August 31, 2012, 06:08 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Yes its most likely one of those things previously mentioned. Should they not help, burn memtest to a disc, and run that. If you get errors, run only 1 stick of ram at a time, to find the defective one.

Old August 31, 2012, 08:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

It could be the memory. Run memtest or perhaps put in a single stick of memory you know to be good.