Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2012, 09:00 AM
Rookie

Default Great to Harcore PC build

My first time building a PC so excuse my Nooby question.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for: I'm going to use it for games, picture editing, and a little of rendering(Blender)

2. What YOUR budget is. My price range is $3000 maybe up to $4000 if need

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from: USA East Coast

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. Not really a fanboy but I rather have Intel and nVidia

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts: Not going to use any part, this computer has some hardware problems, and some what old.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
No conclusion so far

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
I would like to over clock the cpu to a stable 4.5 or so.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Plan to build it around December

9. What resolution and settings do you use?
I'm not really sure on the resolution, I'll need help with that I do wish to have 3D.

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
What I would love to have:
wifi n, SSD , all-in-one memory card reader, Support up to 3 3d monitors

What I'm okay without:USB 3.0 support, blu-ray support,
Bluetooth

These are the part I have right now with is up close to 4000 and I don't have a Case or a headset:
CPU: Intel Core I7-3930k 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer 81.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.ASSASSIN2 EATX LGA2011 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
(For storage)
A-Data S511 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Boot-able drive?)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (2 for a two way SLI)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar D1 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Case: None yet but has to have a green theme to it
Power Supply: Cooler Master 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (Not sure if it's too much)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 120Hz 24.0" Monitor
(2 monitors for now a third on later on)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)
Mouse: Razer Ouroboros
Keyboard: DeathStalker
Headset: Not sure but at least $200 for a good headset

Total: $4046 With out headset and case

Note:
The mouse keyboard and headset are around a total of $500 and are lastAs you can see I'mover my budget and still no case, I would like to know where I can tone it down or what I should take out. I appreciate the help
Old August 27, 2012, 09:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I say get higher speed memory, at least 1600Mhz. For the headset, if it's mostly for gaming, 100$ is enough with something like the Asus Vulcan I think. You can go for a bigger SSD too, 120Go isn't that big, and will fill quickly, 240Go should be good. For the 3D surround, those gpu should handle it pretty well.
Old August 27, 2012, 09:39 AM
Rookie

Okay, Which brand do you recommend for the memory? And I'm sure I can find a mouse and headset for 160 (80 each).
Old August 27, 2012, 11:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Chucks View Post
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.ASSASSIN2 EATX LGA2011 Motherboard
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (2 for a two way SLI)
Power Supply: Cooler Master 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (Not sure if it's too much)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)
Just as a note that Windows 7 Home Premium has a soft limit of 16GB RAM max, so you may consider bumping up to Pro if you may be loading up with 4x8GB RAM in the future. I'm not familiar with Cooler Master's 1000+W power supplies, but they tend to use cheaper OEMs than other manufacturers. For SLI'd and overclocked cards you may be better off with an 850W+ and 80PLUS Gold power supply from Antec, Silverstone, Corsair, Seasonic, or a brand manufactured with some of the newer SuperFlower stuff. It looks like SLI'd 680s draw 460'ish watts maximum, so >750W looks like the sweet spot especially since you'll inevitably overclock everything on that computer.

See these PSUs [Newegg USA]:
Newegg.com - High Current Pro HCP-850 850W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Newegg.com - SeaSonic X Series X-850 (SS-850KM Active PFC F3) 850W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

References:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforc...0-sli-review/4
ASUS GeForce GTX 680 SLI Review | techPowerUp
Memory Limits for Windows Releases
Old August 27, 2012, 11:29 AM
Rookie

Oh thanks for the heads up with the power supply and the windows pro. Question how would i set up the sli for the video cards? Do i need anything extra?
Old August 27, 2012, 11:40 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

You need a SLI bridge, which generally comes with your motherboard.
Old August 27, 2012, 12:07 PM
Top Prospect

I know your going for the black/green theme. But I would consider a different motherboard, in terms of longevity you're looking at spending roughly 4k on this build, I am assuming you wont want to do this again in a few years. I would recommend this guy

Newegg.ca - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

Has more PCI-E slots and better yet you have the capability to run full quad video cards at 16x, might be a better all around choice for you.

I also noticed you have no speakers listed, are you only planning to run off headphones? if thats the case I would drop the sound card, as a nice headset w/ mixamp will do you wonders, check out Gaming Headset, Gaming Headphones | Astro Gaming Headsets they make the best stuff money can buy, it will also reduce the heat in your case a tiny bit too!
Old August 27, 2012, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

When building the PC for the first time, just use one graphics card, then install your drivers and make sure everything is working properly before you add the second. This makes it easier to troubleshoot if there are problems when you build the rig. After adding the second card, enable sli in the nvidia control panel and you should be good to go.

edit: For your ssd, definitley get something that at least has 120GB. Some good brands would be intel 520 series of drives, crucial m4's, corsair and ocz vertex are also decent.
Old August 27, 2012, 12:37 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The S511 is an OK ssd. Personally on a 3-4k build I would be looking at 240GB Intel 520, Corsair Force GS 240GB, SanDisk Extreme 240 or maybe even a Vertex 4 512GB drive. Anything less than 240GB will be slower.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 27, 2012, 02:51 PM
Rookie

Okay so far I'm replacing the:
memory for G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Power supply for the SeaSonic X Series X-850 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
SSD for Intel 520 Series Cherryville 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Mother Board for the ASUS Rampage Extreme IV
Case Would be the BitFenix Colossus Venom ATX Full-Tower PC Case w/ Red & Green LEDs
*Does the window version of this case have more airflow then one without it?"
*For the sound card do I still need it with this motherboard, and I was planning to add speakers but forgot*