Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 26, 2012, 02:36 PM
Rookie

Default help me decide

dang..i feel like my head will explode if i dont decide this thing quick.
please help me decide..i gonna build this rig in 2 3 days time.
i using this rig for online/offline gaming,playing hd movies,downloading.pretty much everything.
or you all can point me the right parts.i not looking for high end gaming pc.mid end will do.thanks

here the list.

Core i5 3.4Ghz/ 4 Core/ 4 Threads/ Turbo 3.8GHz/ 6MB smart cache/ (HD Graphics 4000) i5 3570K
CORSAIR (4GB 1333MHz x 2) - Vengeance Dual Low Profile
CORSAIR (4GB 1600MHz x 2) - Vengeance Dual Low Profile
500GB Western Digital 16M SATAIII
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H Z77/DDR3/SATAIII / CFX , SLI PCIE 3.0 /USB 3.0/GB Lan/ VGA+DVI+HDMI /ATX
ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z Z68/2000DDR3 / SATA 3 / USB 3.0/ SLI + CFX / VGA + HDMI / mATX- LGA1155
LEADTEK nVidia GeForce GTX 560 256bit 1GB DDR
5CORSAIR Builder Series CX500watts
COOLER MASTER ELITE RC-431 Pus Black Mid Tower Case - USB 3.0
Philip 20" PH-206V3LSB2 Widescreen LED - VGA, DVI (10 000 000:1)
Old August 26, 2012, 07:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If your on a budget you could save on the processor and bump the graphics and monitor a little...
Will make more of a difference than having an unlocked CPU that you won't need for mid gaming and media..

Something like a h67 Board and an i3 2130 will perform well in games etc.. Obviously it's not high end.. but then your not looking for high-end..

Bump the monitor to a full 1920x1080.. get the cheapest you can but try find out if they have good customer service / warranty.
You should be able to then bump your GPU to a 570 maybe..

Both of these should give you much a better gaming and movie experience and make office work easier (more screen space)..
The i5 is the go to chip but not on a budget and when sacrificing everything else to get it..

The i5 will last longer than the i3.. but much of the performance will be wasted for much of it's life...
thats to say that IF the i3 would last you 3 years the i5 would go for 5... but you won't be using the full potential of the i5 for the first 3 years.
With the monitor and better GPU you will have a better experience for the full 3 years.. (3 years is an example... it very well may last you 5 years depending on what your needs are)

If you can bump the HDD to something like a WD Black 1tb or Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB..
500GB fills fast these days with a few movies / music / games etc and those 2 drives are fast for HDD's so it's not too bad waiting for things to load.

Most here would suggest Gskill for ram over corsair vengeance.. something like the Gskill sniper is good.
Old August 26, 2012, 09:37 PM
Rookie

so can u fill me in with $1000 budget parts?maybe i could use some ocing.
Old August 27, 2012, 06:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Where are you buying from? Prices vary allot from country to country..
Old August 27, 2012, 10:22 AM
Rookie

maybe from ncix or neweg.
Old August 27, 2012, 05:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Something more like Intel i5-3570K, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada comes in at $1070 but with $70 mail in rebates.. No speakers mouse or keyboard but you can pick up $2 things to tide you over if you need them

Make sure to price-match everything (or price-beat with memory express)... Things like the GPU or the motherboard can be swapped to a different brand etc..
(MSI and ASUS have a RMA centre in CA so it makes problems, if your unlucky, much easier to solve, though you pay a premium for asus, motherboards in particular)

Pretty sweet build and should be good for about 3 years or so at high end gaming and even then a GPU bump and possibly some more memory will be all you will need (and an SSD when you can afford 256GB+)

The processor and PSU should keep you going for about 5 years with overclocks and if the upgrade bug stays away..
Overclocking is pretty damn easy these days, definately worth doing.. Just follow a guide and don't push too hard (4.7 is about max on that chip.. 4.5 should be easily doable, though you may want to bump the cooler a little for that but should be reachable as is.)

If you can live with what you have... Black Friday will see some nice savings or even x-mass sales.. not that far away at all..

Last edited by Dzzope; August 27, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old August 29, 2012, 09:12 AM
Top Prospect

If you dont mind buying slightly used, go that route, you can save some real cash and buy above your price point. Plenty of guys upgrade continuously and they tend to sell off stuff that is under a year old.
Old August 30, 2012, 12:26 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Something more like Intel i5-3570K, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada comes in at $1070 but with $70 mail in rebates.. No speakers mouse or keyboard but you can pick up $2 things to tide you over if you need them

Make sure to price-match everything (or price-beat with memory express)... Things like the GPU or the motherboard can be swapped to a different brand etc..
(MSI and ASUS have a RMA centre in CA so it makes problems, if your unlucky, much easier to solve, though you pay a premium for asus, motherboards in particular)

Pretty sweet build and should be good for about 3 years or so at high end gaming and even then a GPU bump and possibly some more memory will be all you will need (and an SSD when you can afford 256GB+)

The processor and PSU should keep you going for about 5 years with overclocks and if the upgrade bug stays away..
Overclocking is pretty damn easy these days, definately worth doing.. Just follow a guide and don't push too hard (4.7 is about max on that chip.. 4.5 should be easily doable, though you may want to bump the cooler a little for that but should be reachable as is.)

If you can live with what you have... Black Friday will see some nice savings or even x-mass sales.. not that far away at all..
thanks for the advice.can you tell me whats diffrent between asrock z77 extreme 4 and asus p8z77 v-lk..which one is better?
Old August 30, 2012, 04:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Asrock has more features per dollar.. But I don't know much about their customer service quality etc.. The Asus is in my opinion over-priced for what you get BUT you know what your getting in terms of service... It's really a throw up you have to decide on yourself..

MSI.. is somewhere between.. Good CS from what I've heard but then I have no idea what their boards are like for quality / reliability
Old August 30, 2012, 10:55 PM
Rookie

a 1TB WD black would make things load faster.