Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 25, 2012, 01:42 PM
Rookie

Smile Advice on first build

Hey, I just recently ordered the majority of my build
However, I still need advice on what graphics card I should get, as well as what other hard drive I should get (besides my 120GB corsair SSD)
I will be using this build for hardcore gaming and just generally want a fast computer
I already ordered:

CPU: Core i5 3570k

Power supply: Corsair TX750 V2

SSD: 120GB Corsair Force Series GT

Case: Corsair 600T Special Edition white

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB

ASRock Z77 Extreme4

RAM: Kingston HyperX X2 2x4GB

If you have any advice regarding what I already ordered, or what graphics card / 1 or 2TB hard drive I should buy, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Seraphim; August 25, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old August 25, 2012, 02:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

1. What is your budget?
2. What are you planning on using your system for; is it a gaming build, video editing build, etc?
3. Are you using a stock CPU cooler?
Old August 25, 2012, 03:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Whats your remaining budget for HDD, GPU and cooler?

The rest looks fine though you could drop the PSU down to a 650watt easily for a single card set-up.
Personally I would get Gskill ram and not bother with a disk drive unless you specifically need one.. But thats personal choice really.

600T I love but if this is a bit of a budget build there are plenty of cheaper options that are damn good too.. (400R, CM HAF 932 /912 etc etc etc)
Old August 25, 2012, 06:42 PM
Rookie

Thanks for your input, and I'm looking for just a sort of computer that can run most games at 60 fps on max settings
I use a stock cooler
My budget is around 300$ for a graphics card and around 100-150$ for a hard drive
The reason why I chose a 750 watt is in case I ever wanted to do SLI/Crossfire
Old August 25, 2012, 09:18 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well, at the moment:
- video card recommendation would be an ASUS GTX660 Ti or an eVGA version/or a Radeon 7950 on the AMD side of things - now 60 FPS on most modern games is easy, however, the max. settings is another thing.
- hard drive recommendation would be a Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM
for your specified budgets.

What resolusion is/are your monitor(s) that you will be playing your games at? If it is 1920 x 1080, than there should be no problem.
Old August 26, 2012, 04:37 AM
Rookie

It is 1920x1080, however, I would like to have the opportunity to in the future go SLI/Crossfire with 3 monitors and play at a decent frame rate.
Also, where I live, the ASUS GTX 660 Ti is a bit on the expensive side :(
Old August 26, 2012, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
It is 1920x1080, however, I would like to have the opportunity to in the future go SLI/Crossfire with 3 monitors and play at a decent frame rate.
Also, where I live, the ASUS GTX 660 Ti is a bit on the expensive side :(
I would be looking at a 660ti minimum for a hardcore gamer with the plan of going tri-monitors.. Ideally 670..
I know it's a bit expensive but thats the biggest boost your system will get for games..
Cut the budget else-where if you have to but if you REALLY plan on getting 3 monitors in the near future then I would start with a single 670

I don't have enough faith in AMD's drivers to advise going for one of their cards and x-firing them..

If it's going to be a year or more... get a card you'll be happy with now, sell when your upgrading your screens and then buy to suit as there will probably be another generation in a yr's time.

Where you live? (country)
Old August 30, 2012, 10:59 PM
Rookie

I have the 600T and its massive. Its got one major flaw though that it makes these expansion "cracking" sounds every once in a while. Even when its turned off, I hear "pop" sounds. I know its odd, but it still happens to me. Thinking back, I would have gotten the corsair 650D.
Old August 31, 2012, 04:53 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungh View Post
I have the 600T and its massive. Its got one major flaw though that it makes these expansion "cracking" sounds every once in a while. Even when its turned off, I hear "pop" sounds. I know its odd, but it still happens to me. Thinking back, I would have gotten the corsair 650D.
My 600T makes the same noises as well, I even have the 2 different side panels for it (solid / windowed) It's freaky, but i'm getting used to it, as well as turning up the sound to drown it out.