Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 25, 2012, 11:32 AM
Rookie

Default New high end build need comments and advice!

Intel i7-3770K, MSI GeForce GTX 670 - System Build - PCPartPicker
So here it is.

Primary use, gaming, which means maxing metro 2033 on a 2560 x 1440 resolution with at least 60 fps
Below that and I won't be happy with my PC

Add to that a catleap monitor and some high end headset. I'm looking at the astro 40 and the earforce PX5 right now.

Feel fee to give feedback on this build, I' m planning on ordering parts next week.

I also really don't know which case to take and, if liquid cooling is necessary.

Thanks!
Old August 25, 2012, 02:26 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

you are going for a very high end gaming rig my advice is to go with cosmos 2 Cooler Master Cosmos II (Black) ATX Full Tower Case (RC-1200-KKN1) - PCPartPicker it has a lot of room for every thing.
Old August 25, 2012, 03:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

difference between a 3770k and 3570k will not be noticeable unless benching...
Motherboard is overkill unless your looking to push the last tiny bit out of the OC, in which case you would be better off with a sandy chip rather than an Ivy one.

Sabertooth / P8Z77 V or V pro will be plenty for decent overclocks..

For a high end headset grab a discreet soundcard.. will beat on-board (even if it's a premium boards on-board) Asus DX is good for the money but there are plenty of options.

Liquid cooling isn't necessary but you will want a case with good air-flow for your dual GPU's..
Liquid cooling can become very expensive if you want a full loop on cpu and gpu's.. also there is much maintenance and it's not necessarily going to be quieter but should be somewhat cooler
As someone else here said in a thread where someone was looking to start water cooling, it's more of a hobby than a set-up and forget cooling solution.

Case really depends on personal taste, required features and budget.
Basically any decent mid-range mid tower or higher will do for what your looking for (dual cards, good airflow and possible WC later)

I really like the Corsair 600t white but there are many many options available.. Main manufacturers I would look at are Corsair, Coolermaster, Bitfnix and Fractal.
There are many different styles and most mid range cases from those manufacturers will have similar functionality that is suitable for your build.

Also probably worth dropping some coin on upgraded/extra fans depending on the case you pick

16 GB won't be needed for a few years yet.. 8Gb is plenty for gaming rig even if you have many programs open in the background...
More to the point I would be looking at a different brand.. not heard particularly good things of the vengence lines of late..
Gskill are very popular here.. 1.35V from the Gskill sniper ram rather than the usual 1.65v of the vengeance.

Get either the 1TB or 2TB seagate drive... the new ones (barracuda 7200.14) are faster than WD blacks or the previous generation of raptors but they have 1TB per platter so the one you chose is the older barracuda XT, which is not as good for a similar price.
Old August 25, 2012, 03:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think the previous post summarizes everything else pretty well, but perhaps consider this:
Get a single 680 now, and if you need more power later, you can add a second when there is a sale. This way you have an upgrade path for your system and you will run cooler and consume less power. Food for thought...
Old August 25, 2012, 04:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
I think the previous post summarizes everything else pretty well, but perhaps consider this:
Get a single 680 now, and if you need more power later, you can add a second when there is a sale. This way you have an upgrade path for your system and you will run cooler and consume less power. Food for thought...
I would say the same too if there was more of a difference between the 670 and 680.. also the OP is looking for high-end at 2560x1440 straight away.. needs dual cards off the bat and the 670 is probably the best price-performance that will do this for him..

If it was a different situation the I would agree.. Otherwise I would say go straight for 2x680's now.
Old August 25, 2012, 04:15 PM
Rookie

680 is not worth the extra 100$ and, I'm sure one is not enough to run metro at 2560 res with 60 fps. Don't even know if 2 670 will do the job :P

Cosmo 2 case looks pretty sick and I was also thinking of getting extra fans. I'm only on sli for now but I was thinking I may go tri sli at some point, in 2 years or so. Depends how the game will evolve.

I'll change the ram though, thats what I have right now. Gskills
Old September 8, 2012, 08:05 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

sli 670 wont run metro 2033 at 60fps in your resolution. I have that exact monitor and sli gigabyte 670's. You'll only recieve about 30ish fps. (thats at very high quality, MSAA 4x, Texture filtering, AF 16x, everything on and maxed out.)
Old September 8, 2012, 10:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakar View Post
Intel i7-3770K, MSI GeForce GTX 670 - System Build - PCPartPicker
So here it is.

Primary use, gaming, which means maxing metro 2033 on a 2560 x 1440 resolution with at least 60 fps
Below that and I won't be happy with my PC

Add to that a catleap monitor and some high end headset. I'm looking at the astro 40 and the earforce PX5 right now.

Feel fee to give feedback on this build, I' m planning on ordering parts next week.

I also really don't know which case to take and, if liquid cooling is necessary.

Thanks!
For a case that has lot's of room with SUPER air flow etc.,take a look at the Thermaltake Level 10 GT. If you want a really good set of gaming headphones,I highly recommend the Razer Tiamat 7.1's. Two GTX 680's will run any game available with your monitor resolution.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old September 8, 2012, 10:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakar View Post
[url=http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fy4L] I'm looking at the astro 40 and the earforce PX5 right now.
Never even heard of that until now. I'm using a sennheiser pc360 right now and it is great, got it for $200 on some ncix sale (they had it on for like 3 weeks in a row once).

I know a lot of others recommend the beyerdynamics though but I've never tried them out yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
Two GTX 680's will run any game available with your monitor resolution.
Not for a 27" it won't. I don't think it would even have the vram for a lot of games.