Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 25, 2012, 04:45 AM
Rookie

Default First Build *would love your input*

This is actually going to be my very first post on here.

I'm fairly new to this computer tech stuff, but I've always been fascinated by it. I've wanted to build a computer for a few years now, but didn't really start researching about this stuff until 8 months ago.

Anyways, here is what I've come up with.

Motherboard - Asus Maximus V Extreme LGA1155 Intel Z77

CPU- Intel 3rd Gen. i7 3770k

Memory - G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2133Mhz

Video Card(s) - 2 x MSI Geforce GTX 660Ti Power Edition

Sound Card - Asus Xonar Pheobus

Hard Drive(s) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD (boot drive)
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm 64mb cache

Monitor(s) - Asus VS248H-P 24in LED backlit

Case - NZXT Switch 810 Full ATX Tower

Power Supply - SeaSonic Platinum-1000W Modular

OS - Windows 7 Premium 64bit

Heatsink - Corsair H100

This is meant for gaming as well as video editing/photoshop. So if you guys could please give me any advice on improving it. If you think I'm bottle-necking it anywhere, then please don't hesitate.
Old August 25, 2012, 05:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Looks great. I would back down to a 850w psu though.
Old August 25, 2012, 05:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Unless your planning to seriously push overclocks the maximus extreme and platinum PSU is a waste...

Sabertooth if you want to stay premium and even the P8Z77 v or V Pro will be plenty for what you need.. all good overclockers and stable.

I would drop to a single 670 as it's more than enough for single screen of that size and will be a better base if you decide to go for multi-monitors or a large res screen later and then need SLI.

Also the PSU is a bit overkill.. 1000 Watt is way more than you need.. as said above, I would suggest an 850 watt for that rig even with SLI, Something like a corsair TX 850V2 will be more than enough and it's Seasonic built so still quality..

Other than those points, All looks good.

Last edited by Dzzope; August 25, 2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old August 25, 2012, 07:05 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Unless your planning to seriously push overclocks the maximus extreme and platinum PSU is a waste...

Sabertooth if you want to stay premium and even the P8Z77 v or V Pro will be plenty for what you need.. all good overclockers and stable.

I would drop to a single 670 as it's more than enough for single screen of that size and will be a better base if you decide to go for multi-monitors or a large res screen later and then need SLI.

Also the PSU is a bit overkill.. 1000 Watt is way more than you need.. as said above, I would suggest an 850 watt for that rig even with SLI, Something like a corsair TX 850V2 will be more than enough and it's Seasonic built so still quality..

Other than those points, All looks good.

That sounds really solid. Thanks for your input. I did forget to mention that I would be running a triple monitor display though. My dad was actually able to snag me those monitors for free from his workplace. (I guess his division of the company he is working for is shutting down so they were basically giving stuff away.)

I have already purchased the case, mobo, processor, and the GPU's.

I will admit I'm fairly new to the whole overclocking aspect of computers, but my dad has been working with computers for over 30 years now and I'm sure he can help me out. I won't be doing any liquid nitrogen or anything to that extent; probably only about 4.5-4.7 on the cpu itself at the very top of the scale)

Thank you for your input though. I am still thinking on the PSU. There are a lot of good brands out there and I'm still only positive on SeaSonic and Corsair. I've heard plenty of good things about both. I was wondering if you guys have any other suggestions on good PSU as well?

While running 2 660ti's I know 1000W is overkill but it leaves me room for expansion, and for the degradation of the PSU itself over the course of 4-5 years.
Old August 25, 2012, 07:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You could easily get away with a 750w or 850w for your system. I was running dual 670's and my i5 2500k to 4.8 on a 750 no prob. I am sure I had room to spare as well.

If tri SLi 660ti is in the picture for you down the road I would save all the money and hassle and just get a gtx 690 now. You can put the money you save from PSU towards your gpu. You could also save a little on your motherboard since you aren't planning to do L2N or anything.
Old August 25, 2012, 07:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagga View Post

I have already purchased the case, mobo, processor, and the GPU's.
If it's easy enough to do then i would be tempted to return the Mobo and GPU's for a lower end mobo and a pair of 670's..
The 660Ti is a bit limited on memory bandwidth for tri-monitors BUT will be sufficient if it's not feasible to return them.

Good luck with the build and enjoy the surround gaming. :)

Generally it's hard to beat the Corsair for value and quality but there are a few others that use seasonic for certain PSU lines.. XFX and Antec being 2 I can remember off the top of my head
Old August 25, 2012, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with Dzzope and what others have said already. Another thing that you might want to take into consideration is the monitor you are buying. I would suggest investing in an IPS screen not only for the odd time that you may need to do some color accurate photoshop work but for the general vividness and better viewing angles that IPS seems to have over TN panels. Dell U2312's are about $200 on sale or you can take a stab at the korean 27" ips lcd's that go for around $350 on ebay with no warranty but at less than half the cost of an equivalent dell or apple display

Old August 25, 2012, 10:45 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I agree with Dzzope and what others have said already. Another thing that you might want to take into consideration is the monitor you are buying. I would suggest investing in an IPS screen not only for the odd time that you may need to do some color accurate photoshop work but for the general vividness and better viewing angles that IPS seems to have over TN panels. Dell U2312's are about $200 on sale or you can take a stab at the korean 27" ips lcd's that go for around $350 on ebay with no warranty but at less than half the cost of an equivalent dell or apple display

just out of curiosity how do you know that it's a TN panel? Once my dad told me that he got them for free I looked and it didn't say anything about the panel type. I tried looking online and still could find nothing. Also it says on asus that almost all of their VS line is IPS panel. If I could get a link somewhere that would really help and then I would buy dual IPS monitors.
Old August 25, 2012, 10:54 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Heres a quick tip ( i also agree about the psu, mobo overkill). If you're going to use an SSD for just a boot drive and some programs a crucial m4 128gb is a great deal IMO. Its fast, reasonably priced, and has more than enough storage for programs and boot drive.
Old August 25, 2012, 11:03 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagga View Post
just out of curiosity how do you know that it's a TN panel? Once my dad told me that he got them for free I looked and it didn't say anything about the panel type. I tried looking online and still could find nothing. Also it says on asus that almost all of their VS line is IPS panel. If I could get a link somewhere that would really help and then I would buy dual IPS monitors.
Its a 2ms panel. That pretty much guarantees it being a TN panel. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Tags
first build , gaming rid , new pc