intel i7 3930k cpu
corsair h100 hyrdo cpu cooler
galaxy geforce gtx 680 4gb
gskill ripjaws x - 32gb - 4 x 8gb -
samsung 830 128gb
1tb western digital black caviar
corsair professional 1050w "for future 2 way sli"
asus 12x blu ray player

Last edited by TH3GAMERFREAK; August 21, 2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old August 20, 2012, 12:08 AM
Top Prospect

Nice setup, keep in mind just how big the 800d is, there are plenty of cases out there that you can fit what you are planning plus your future 2nd video card in just fine. You should be happy with the setup though!
Old August 20, 2012, 08:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you are going to spend that much and are considering SLI I would go with a minimum 1k psu.
Old August 20, 2012, 09:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If this is mainly for playing games then I say it's a waste of money..
Don't base a gaming build off x79.. it's not worth the price difference if it's a gaming / general build.. an i7 3770k will be fast enough and save you some bucks

If you do allot of editing and rendering and want the extra cores then by all means go ahead.. but it really depends on how much editing and rendering you'll be doing on the box.

Apart from the x79 part...
670 will run out of power before it uses the ram... get a 680 for the same ish price..
The platinum ram is overpriced.. get 32GB for the same or lower price.
If spending this much on parts get at least a 256GB SSD..
1TB for storage on a 3d graphics and rendering box... I would be looking at 2 3TB Seagate 7200.14 HDD's for space and speed and mirrored for data security in case 1 fails.

As said above the PSU is the minimum I would suggest for an overclocked sli build.. Drop in water cooling and a few more HDD's or possibly tri SLI and you'll have to replace it.. go 1000 watt for a brace of HDD's and water loop or 1200 if tri SLI is a possibility.

Also as said above the 800D is a beast of a case and only really needed if you want to do a custom cooling loop with lots of room to still work in the case..
Pretty much any decent mid tower will do the same but be a tighter package.
Old August 20, 2012, 12:26 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
If this is mainly for playing games then I say it's a waste of money..
Don't base a gaming build off x79.. it's not worth the price difference if it's a gaming / general build.. an i7 3770k will be fast enough and save you some bucks

If you do allot of editing and rendering and want the extra cores then by all means go ahead.. but it really depends on how much editing and rendering you'll be doing on the box.

Apart from the x79 part...
670 will run out of power before it uses the ram... get a 680 for the same ish price..
The platinum ram is overpriced.. get 32GB for the same or lower price.
If spending this much on parts get at least a 256GB SSD..
1TB for storage on a 3d graphics and rendering box... I would be looking at 2 3TB Seagate 7200.14 HDD's for space and speed and mirrored for data security in case 1 fails.

As said above the PSU is the minimum I would suggest for an overclocked sli build.. Drop in water cooling and a few more HDD's or possibly tri SLI and you'll have to replace it.. go 1000 watt for a brace of HDD's and water loop or 1200 if tri SLI is a possibility.

Also as said above the 800D is a beast of a case and only really needed if you want to do a custom cooling loop with lots of room to still work in the case..
Pretty much any decent mid tower will do the same but be a tighter package.

what do you mean run out of power before it uses the ram?
Old August 20, 2012, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The processing power of the 670 will be a limiting factor rather than the ram.. Either save the extra spend or get a 680..
You will get better performance going for a 680 at the price you'll pay for a 4GB 670. 4GB is not needed
Old August 20, 2012, 04:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
The processing power of the 670 will be a limiting factor rather than the ram.. Either save the extra spend or get a 680..
You will get better performance going for a 680 at the price you'll pay for a 4GB 670. 4GB is not needed
isnt it better for rendering? im accually using this for school and we use maya a lot
Old August 20, 2012, 05:11 PM
NCIX System Builder

My System Specs

That looks like a pretty good config, just a few suggestions,

I would highly consider upgrading further to the GTX680 if this is for future proofing, the performance difference is noticable.

You do not need Corsair Platinum's for gaming or editing, unless you're going for the bling factor! Some high quantity Vengeance will work just fine :).

I would stick with the 120GB SSD, if all your renderings & games are going to the HDD. 240GB is hard to fill if you keep an eye on where you're installing your files.
Old August 20, 2012, 06:15 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@NCIX View Post
That looks like a pretty good config, just a few suggestions,

I would highly consider upgrading further to the GTX680 if this is for future proofing, the performance difference is noticable.

You do not need Corsair Platinum's for gaming or editing, unless you're going for the bling factor! Some high quantity Vengeance will work just fine :).

I would stick with the 120GB SSD, if all your renderings & games are going to the HDD. 240GB is hard to fill if you keep an eye on where you're installing your files.
all i see is a like a 5 percent increase in the 680 and its like 100 bucks more
Old August 20, 2012, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm not sure with Maya specifically but I would be surprised if it used 2GB of graphics ram before running out of processing power...
Even all but the top end workstation cards don't have more than 2GB

If your really worried about graphics power/memory consumption in the program then I would suggest going to Maya forums or a 3d forum to ask advice on the best gaming card for it.. I have a feeling that they will suggest a 580 or ati card as Nvidia have designed this series more for dedicated games than the previous generation/AMDs are.

On the ram.. I wouldn't go the corsairs... gskill do some nice 1.5 or 1.35 volt stuff that is common fast and good
(check out the thread in memory section on mushkin, most here would suggest mushkin or gskill )

On the SSD.. I would want all my programs and games on my SSD and thats just not possible with 120GB.. if your spending that much why only have the OS and a couple of programs? Make everything faster.. especially considering the budget you have..

Your doing Maya in school... and your dropping $500 on a processor???
I would definitely go 3770k and be happy till it's earning me money then you can get a dedicated rendering rig with a proper workstation card..

Back when everyone was advising q6600's and even 920's I was quite happily doing video, audio and light 3d work on a core 2 duo lappy (not even a high end one) If your doing some serious high-end work and LOADS of it.. then work away.. I just hope your not dropping this much cash on a rig to do a few months of practice / projects and game when a chip and board half the price would do you..

This is obviously your shout.. I'm just trying to point out how fast the current stuff is and that you don't need to drop so much cash to have a good performing rig even if your rendering etc.

On the 680 (and indeed the 670 and any of the processors you may consider) much if the performance is gained from overclocking.. 20% is about average.. and the 680 stretches a fair bit more than 5% at 2560x1440(which I hope your using with this build)

Last edited by Dzzope; August 20, 2012 at 06:41 PM.