Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2012, 11:41 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@NCIX View Post
That looks like a pretty good config, just a few suggestions,

I would highly consider upgrading further to the GTX680 if this is for future proofing, the performance difference is noticable.

You do not need Corsair Platinum's for gaming or editing, unless you're going for the bling factor! Some high quantity Vengeance will work just fine :).

I would stick with the 120GB SSD, if all your renderings & games are going to the HDD. 240GB is hard to fill if you keep an eye on where you're installing your files.

thanks for the advice! im not really a firm believer in "future proofing" you never know whats around the corner i just want something beast. and for my research this is pretty beast. it looks nice and it will be a champion for hopefully a long time
Old August 21, 2012, 05:38 PM
Rookie

To take advantage of GPU rendering (vs CPU+main memory), video memory is crucial, as that will be a fixed limitation on the complexity of scenes that can be rendered.

Definitely get a 256GB SSD, not only to allow more room for software, but also to help reduce write amplification. My recommendation is the Samsung 830.

If you're going with the 3930k CPU, then obviously you'll want to take advantage of the BST deals offered from people who bought the CPU at an extreme discount from the Intel Retail Edge program to flip it for a profit.

An 850W PSU is fine, but I would go with a 1000W unit for this system to comfortably allow room for 2+ GPUs, and to operate at slightly increased efficiency at full load.

For memory, go with 8GB DIMMS (2x8GB vs 4x4GB). 1600MHz kits offer the best value.

That's all I feel like commenting on. :) Good luck with it!
Old August 21, 2012, 05:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post

For memory, go with 8GB DIMMS (2x8GB vs 4x4GB). 1600MHz kits offer the best value.
May as well go with either 4 4's or 4 8s (but not the platinum.. something like Gskill Sniper) as you have 8 slots and sb-e is quad channel.
Old August 21, 2012, 06:02 PM
Rookie

Ahh, I forgot about X79's quad channel. You're absolutely right -- 4 DIMMs required.
Old August 21, 2012, 06:10 PM
Rookie

Quote:
To take advantage of GPU rendering (vs CPU+main memory), video memory is crucial, as that will be a fixed limitation on the complexity of scenes that can be rendered.

Definitely get a 256GB SSD, not only to allow more room for software, but also to help reduce write amplification. My recommendation is the Samsung 830.

If you're going with the 3930k CPU, then obviously you'll want to take advantage of the BST deals offered from people who bought the CPU at an extreme discount from the Intel Retail Edge program to flip it for a profit.

An 850W PSU is fine, but I would go with a 1000W unit for this system to comfortably allow room for 2+ GPUs, and to operate at slightly increased efficiency at full load.

That's all I feel like commenting on. :) Good luck with it!
would you recommend corsair g skill or hyper x

can i just use my 3tb external for extra applications and what not or does it have to be a internal drive?
Old August 21, 2012, 06:36 PM
Rookie

can you use external hdd instead of a internal i have a 3 tb hard drive ext. can you run applications off of
Old August 21, 2012, 08:11 PM
Rookie

If the external drive is connected with eSATA/USB 3.0/Thunderbolt, then sure, you can run applications off it without any connection bottlenecks. I think you'd have to manually enable write-caching in the drive properties for proper performance. You'd also want to partition it so that the applications are confined to the fastest part of the disk and are not fragmented across 3TB with data.

Why would you want to, though, with such a spacious case for internal drives that would be better cooled? Unless, maybe, you plan to switch between computers using those applications?

You might experience software errors or corruption if the external drive drops out while applications on the drive are running, or if it's assigned a different drive letter in the process of disconnecting/connecting it and other storage devices.

You can do anything you want, but I wouldn't go with that setup, especially if the 3TB is used for data/backup.
Old August 21, 2012, 09:37 PM
Rookie

Quote:
If the external drive is connected with eSATA/USB 3.0/Thunderbolt, then sure, you can run applications off it without any connection bottlenecks. I think you'd have to manually enable write-caching in the drive properties for proper performance. You'd also want to partition it so that the applications are confined to the fastest part of the disk and are not fragmented across 3TB with data.

Why would you want to, though, with such a spacious case for internal drives that would be better cooled? Unless, maybe, you plan to switch between computers using those applications?

You might experience software errors or corruption if the external drive drops out while applications on the drive are running, or if it's assigned a different drive letter in the process of disconnecting/connecting it and other storage devices.

You can do anything you want, but I wouldn't go with that setup, especially if the 3TB is used for data/backup.
yea ill just use it for projects and what not
Old August 22, 2012, 12:07 AM
Rookie

The 800D is huge. I have one and its more suited to custom water cooling.
Old August 22, 2012, 08:17 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancewhiiz View Post
The 800D is huge. I have one and its more suited to custom water cooling.
thats kinda what i plan on doing with it the 800d is a massive case co i can pretty much do whatever i want inside of it i would love to have a great overclocked exteme watercooling build one day