Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19, 2012, 07:02 PM
Top Prospect

Default Almost finished my build

So its been some years since I built a PC, long time Mac user here. But as most mac users find, when they want to game again, it just doesn't cut it. So most of the system is built, video card should be here tomorrow and the H100 should be here this week also. Whats your guys opinions on this setup?

Specs:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 3820
  • MB: ASUS P9X79
  • RAM: Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 Vengeance 16GB
  • CPU Cooling: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100
  • Video: XFX Radeon HD 7950 OC Black Ed
  • Boot Drive: Intel 520 Series 120GB
  • PSU: Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850
  • Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 800D

Right now for a monitor I will be using a 24" Apple Cinema Display at 1920x1200 until it is sold (up for sale now) and then I will figure out what to do monitor wise until then.

Will be running Windows 7 Pro, not planning to upgrade to 8 (not a fan of metro at all) and have a few games in mind to start with, when the time comes that the 120gb ssd is full I will purchase another when they are cheaper, format the system with the 2 in raid.

Something I need help with is choosing a keyboard and mouse, haven't decided on one yet.. I like the logitech gaming keyboards but everyone is saying go mechanical now so I am not sure. I am leaning towards a Razer Taipan mouse, looks good. What are your suggestions?

Anyways, on with the pics!
Note: Sorry for the bad quality, only had an iPhone to take pics with.
Attached Images

Old August 19, 2012, 08:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nice clean build.. Pretty, neat and will run sweet..

Can't say I would have done a gaming build based on x79 myself and half that ram would have been plenty and the case is way overkill unless you want to water-cool some day (custom loop not sealed unit)

Not saying there is anything wrong with any of them.. But then to say your waiting on SSD's to get cheaper... seems odd to me especially as they are about as low now as they will be for some time.

In any case it will monster games, oc pretty damn well and hopefully you'll be very happy with it, which is the main thing with any build.

Can I ask why your selling the monitor? or what you plan on replacing it with?
I would keep it or go to 27" IPS myself.. I wouldn't drop to 1080..
Old August 19, 2012, 08:20 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the comments,

So the reason why I went with this case is exactly your guess, I do plan to do a water cooling setup in the future, I wanted a case big enough for anything I want to through at it, plus I love the design. Also a second video card is in the near future as well.

On the SSD note, I should have explained a little better, the main reason on the wait is this build has set me back about $2300 after taxes and shipping, and I have yet to get a keyboard/mouse so I figured I could live with only one SSD for now :P but your comment about the prices great now and not dropping much in the near future makes perfect sense.

Still undecided on the monitor, if I can't get what I am asking for it ($450 with 1 year extended warranty remaining) then I will keep it, the idea of selling came from wanting to either upgrade to a 27inch or go with a tripple monitor setup once a 2nd 7950 is in the machine.
Old August 19, 2012, 08:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Very very nice indeed... Will be awesome once your finished it.

Have to agree on the case too.. Lil big for my tastes BUT ohh so nice too.

The cost is exactly why I wouldn't go X79.. but hey if we all thought the same.. the world would be very very boring. :)
Old August 20, 2012, 01:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Looks very good. It does look like money is not an issue here and with that in mind why not go X79. Oh, except you mention the cost of SSDs... Well in that case I am not sure what is going on with your build. Regardless, I would say that you should look for some Intel 520 (or similar) and go RAID 0. Two 120GB would be nice and seeing that TRIM for RAID 0 on X79 will "soon" be available that is a suggestion that I feel confident in giving.

About your display, I would say Dell U2711. That said it won't feel that much bigger than your 24" 16:10. Personally I am partial to 16:10! I do own a U2711 and I like it despite the fact that it is 16:9. My U2711 is the one exception to the rule. Next for me though will be a 30" 2560X1600. Now that will be nice!

Anyway, nice build, it is clean and I like that. Keep up the good work!
Old August 20, 2012, 02:27 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the comments, yeah I will probably order another 520 series 120gb this week and raid 0 them. Video card came in today and I installed it, just waiting on the H100 which is due here by Friday. Ill check out the Dell monitor you mentioned for sure! Thanks!

One concern I have is my video card seems to be slightly dropping in the rear, I understand this is a heavier card and quite long so I am assuming thats normal? Looks like it will be a tight fit on the board when I order a 2nd one.

Here is a picture of the video card installed.
Attached Images

Old August 20, 2012, 04:13 PM
NCIX System Builder

My System Specs

Easy fix to the video card drooping is to tie the 2 six pins to the motherboard 24 pin, you'll create a "stalk" so to say, to keep the videocard from drooping.
Old August 20, 2012, 08:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thats one of the great features I love about my ageing, mid range case... It has a bracket that you fit over the GPU's and it takes the weight off the PCI-E slot..
Though it went missing when some friends were bringing my computer over for me (they had 2 suitcases in the flight and only really needed 1) must try finding it next time I'm home..

Yours is drooping slightly but nothing to worry about. If your going dual, just put the next card in the bottom slot.. if you consider tri or quad set-up then you'll be wanting a custom liquid cooling loop
Which I might add will reduce the 'droop' that the card has and then you have no worries of space as the huge heatsinks will be going.
Old August 24, 2012, 04:21 PM
Top Prospect

Hey guys,

So I got my H100 today, installed it and booted up no issues first try. After installing Windows I noticed that windows is only picking up 12gb of ram, 4gb is missing. Thinking this was odd I downloaded/checked out in CPU-Z, the full 16gb shows up there just fine. I noticed on boot the bios shows 12gb there as well. Anybody got any suggestions for me?
Old August 24, 2012, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thats a bit odd... try re-seat them.. check bios setting for anything abnormal.. Try manual setting for power.. should be 1.65v for that ram I think (check specs)
(1.64 if you want to play very safe to not go over)

Run memory checker? Usually one of the first things I do as bad ram can be fairly common. (at least it used to be extremely so) Let it run a few hours and see..