Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19, 2012, 03:47 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default New build, need recommendation for motherboard

As my current computer is showing signs of heavy wear, I decided it's time for an upgrade. I have already decided what components I am getting, except for the motherboard. The processor I chose is the Intel 3570k, as the computer is used for gaming, and nothing else. Still, I haven't made my mind for which mobo to install.
I am thinking about the Asus P8Z77-M PRO, but because some of the games I play are not well threaded (Starcraft II, for example) I want to get a good overclock, for which the Asus Maximus V Gene seems more adequate.
Is there a real difference when overclocking or in perfomance between the two boards?
Old August 19, 2012, 04:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you really want to push the clocks grab a 2500k instead of the 3570k... it will clock a fair bit better.

Generally as long as the board is decent for overclocking you'll be fine.. the higher-end ones come into play when your trying to push the envelope that lil bit farther.
It will be unnoticeable in anything but benchmarks.

Any particular reason your going for matx boards?
Old August 20, 2012, 12:39 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well, I am not planning to push any limits, my ideal overclock would be around 4.5GHz, and the price difference between the 2500k and the 3570k is about 10~20$ here, so I think I'm staying with the 3570k. So, Can I achieve that overclock with the Asus P8Z77-M PRO or should I start looking for another board? If I were to choose the Asus P8Z77-M PRO, I would have some budget left to upgrade from a 128 GB SSD to a 256GB one.
I really don't mind the board being matx or atx, as long as I have 2 PCI-Express slots. If I'm missing something here, let me know.
Old August 20, 2012, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If your case takes ATX I would go that way rather than Matx.. It allows more room for more Ram and add-in cards / better airflow around extra cards and generally better design for all the on-board components as there is more space for the engineers to use in the design..
the m-Pro should be able to clock that high without issue.

4.5GHZ is about the point where the 2 chips are even.. (depending on your sample of course, not all chips are the same) and 3570k would be my suggestion to that point..
Old August 20, 2012, 01:42 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well, maybe I should look into an ATX motherboard. I didn't think it would make such a difference. What about an Asus P8Z77-V LX? It would be great if I could get a decent overclock with it, as it's cheaper than the P8Z77-M PRO.
Old August 20, 2012, 02:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

My choices for OCing would be the Asus p8Z77 V or V Pro or sabertooth if you have the budget.. OR if on a budget the ASRock Z77 Extreme4

I wouldn't touch the LX as it's a budget board at mid range prices... Asus are a lil expensive for what you get but the LX IMO takes the mick.. Way overpriced.
Old August 20, 2012, 05:14 PM
NCIX System Builder

My System Specs

If you are planning to overclock, a good overclocking budget board to go on is the Gigabyte Z77-UD3H. I use this for one of our overclock systems at NCIX :).
Old August 20, 2012, 09:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@NCIX View Post
If you are planning to overclock, a good overclocking budget board to go on is the Gigabyte Z77-UD3H. I use this for one of our overclock systems at NCIX :).
Second time today I'm gonna disagree with you Brian.. Not picking on you.. really I'm not
Gigabyte do great boards at great prices BUT if something goes wrong with them they are a nightmare... Poor poor customer service and especially if your in Canada as you have to send it to the US and can get charged fees and crap that you really shouldn't..
Old August 22, 2012, 02:08 PM
NCIX System Builder

My System Specs

Well other then the RMA process, they're good boards at its price.
Old August 23, 2012, 01:57 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@NCIX View Post

Thsi would be my first choice as well. This board punches well above its weight class in features and overclocking capability.