Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19, 2012, 02:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by foleykevin297 View Post
Would a sound card be better if i wanted too use a 7.1 surround sound headset ? Im buying off elara.ie and my max budget is 1600 i want too get the best for my money since ive worked hard for it over the past few summers. I will probably get an ssd since my laptop has a 320gb hdd and i am not even using 100gb of it at max. Ill definately get the 650 watt power supply thanks ! Where im really confused is the motherboard i just dont understand what makes some more expensive then others can anyone recommend a good one for gaming ?
Is it a USB or analog headset? If it is a usb headset then no a sound card will do nothing since usb headsets use there own DAC's not the soundcard or onboard, personally I have tried some of the lower end soundcards and tbh they offer very little improvment over onboard, excepting the say the Zonar DG ( think it is the DG the one with the headphone amp) since if useing the headphone amp settings it does make things sound a little better. But your not going to get leaps and bounds better sound out of a budget soundcard. Move up to a mid range and then yes you will see a noticable difference, again any "upgrade" you hear will also depend on what you are pushing speaker/headset wise. No soundcard is going to make a crappy headset/speakers sound amazing. Remember there is always a weaklink, if the weaklink is the onboard sound then yes you might, if the weaklink is the headset/speakers then no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old August 19, 2012, 03:01 AM
Rookie

Its a usb headset , the razer megaladon , to be honest sound quality doesnt bother me too much but i just want too make sure if i buy a 7.1 headset then i can actually listen too it in 7.1 :)
Old August 19, 2012, 03:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Its a usb headset , the razer megaladon , to be honest sound quality doesnt bother me too much but i just want too make sure if i buy a 7.1 headset then i can actually listen too it in 7.1 :)
USB headsets bypass any soundcards DAC's, onboard or not, stick with the onboard for speakers and call it a day, you will see zero performance from a soundcard using a usb headset.
The headset's DAC will handle all the functions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old August 19, 2012, 03:35 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Arrow

Quote:
Would a sound card be better if i wanted too use a 7.1 surround sound headset ? Im buying off elara.ie and my max budget is 1600 i want too get the best for my money since ive worked hard for it over the past few summers. I will probably get an ssd since my laptop has a 320gb hdd and i am not even using 100gb of it at max. Ill definately get the 650 watt power supply thanks ! Where im really confused is the motherboard i just dont understand what makes some more expensive then others can anyone recommend a good one for gaming ?
- Brand/Vendor name which usually has some associated quality.

Personally, I am heavily biased towards ASUS. Regardless though, to pick a motherboard, start off with a resonable budget and start looking at the features of specific boards. From there you can compare the specs of the boards within a given price-range. If you find that the board with the intial budget are either an overkill or are too weak for your requirements adjust your dudget up or down. (For a first time builder try to resist getting sucked into flashy products like the Sabertooth boards by ASUS, simplicity is your friend, PRO or lower by ASUS.)

Regardless of your location, you can use Newegg to do comparative research of up to five boards - there you will be able to see the number of USB 2.0, USB 3.0, type of sound chip vendor as well as type of codec used, usable RAM quantity. Also, do you want a ATX or an mATX board (standard vs. smaller than standard); do you want PCI-E 3.0 or are you OK with 2.0; do you want any (legacy) PCI slots?

Might take you a couple of days (or even a week) of reasearching but you will end up with a better understanding of what the boards have for specs.
Old August 19, 2012, 04:42 AM
Rookie

Thanks for saving me the money ill stick too the onboard sound. I was thinking of getting the P8Z77-V pro would that be a good option ?
Old August 19, 2012, 04:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ok.. Elara is €100 more expensive than scan (not inc del) for JUST the processor, motherboard and graphics (3570k, Asus P8Z77 Pro and Gigabyte GTX670)

Go to scan or overclockers and you'll get loads more for your money.

Intel Core i5 3570K,1155, Ivy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 5 GT/s DMI, 650MHz GPU, 6MB Smart Cache, 34x Ratio, 77W, OEM £171.80
Asus P8Z77-V PRO, Intel Z77, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, D-Sub (VGA)/ DisplayPort/ DVI-I/ HDMI, ATX £150.92
2GB MSI GTX 670 Overclocked, 28nm, PCIe 3.0 (x16), 6008MHz GDDR5, GPU 965MHz, Boost 1045MHz, Cores 1344, 2xDVI, DP, HDMI £293.60
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Arctic White, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 9-9-9-24, 1.35V£42.96
256GB OCZ Vertex 4, 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s, Indilinx Everest 2, MLC-Flash, Read 560MB/s, Write 510MB/s, 120k IOPS Max. £172.94
2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200.14 SATA 3 6GB/s 7200rpm 64MB Cache 8ms OEM NCQ £79.91
650W Corsair Enthusiast Series 650TXV2UK, 85% Eff', 80 PLUS Bronze, SLI/CrossFire, EPS 12V, Quiet Fan, ATX v2.31, PSU £70.38
Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl, USB 3.0, 140mm Fans, Low Noise Mid Case £89.81
Noctua NH-D14-2011 Dual Radiator Cooler with PWM fans, LGA2011 Only£66.29

Net Total Carriage VAT
£948.85 £8.49 £191.46
Total£1,148.80 (€1464) (not inc Del to Ireland.. About another £10 - £20) (prices from Scan, not sure of their delivery but Overclockers.co.ukare about the same price and def deliver to R.O.I)

(Change the case to whatever style you like around the same price and can't go wrong with Fractal, Corsair, Bitfnex or Coolermaster for mid range mid towers)
I haven't spent the time to look at the daily or weekly deals but your still saving and have a kick ass machine for that..
General rule of thumb for buying computer parts is don't buy local... UK or US are always going to be cheaper.. If you knew anyone going to US or Canada then I would be tempted to give them the money to buy and send/bring back your bits (less the case)
Old August 19, 2012, 05:01 AM
Rookie

WOW! thank you so much for pointing this out too me ill be definately buying from U.K now ! Looking at it now everything is more expensive off elara , thanks again for pointing this out too me you saved me alot of money :D
Old August 19, 2012, 05:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

By the way, if you want true surround sound headset and good quality sound I would look at an Asus soundcard and a set of Tritton 5.1 headset..
I found some new ones going very cheap on ebay(COD black ops branded but who cares at the price)
Call of Duty Black OPS ProGaming Analogue Headset for PC (based on AX51 Pro) | eBay

Apparently very very comfy(if a lil heavy) and really good surround..
I bought a pair and they were new and perfect (according to my girlfriend, as I said I'm in Kiev and will be collecting them next time I'm home)

If you already have your headset then don't worry about it but if not and you don't mind spending the money you saved, it's worth a look.

Other option is to get a really good monitor... Catleaps are cheap 27" IPS at 2560x1440 but there is risk involved.. (check the thread in display section)
I'm really tempted by these.. or OCUK has a couple of cheap ones (though not as cheap as the catleaps)
I would change to a 7970 if you do go for this as they are better at higher res and only a tad more expensive than the 670's

Or you can be very happy with what you have and save the cash..
Old August 19, 2012, 05:32 AM
Rookie

I have a turtle beach dx11 5.1 surroud sound with a dss adadpter which bumps it up too 7.1 i use it on my xbox and ps3 i suppose i can just use that and save some money. Im limited with the space i have for my monitor too a 23 inch so would it still be worth my while getting the 7970 if im going too be using 1920x1080 resolution or are there 23 inch monitors that can support 2560x1440 ? sorry for all the questions but i just want too be 100% sure when im spending this much money :)
Old August 19, 2012, 05:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No.. you could get a 24" at 1920x1200 but 27 for the higher res.

the 670 and 7970 are about even at 1080 or 1200.. I would stick to the 670 at that res (prefer nvidia personally at the mo) and it will max settings in anything out now with ease.