Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 17, 2012, 10:45 PM
Top Prospect

Default Upgrade or Save

Hey guys I am pretty sure I can answer this question myself but I just wanted to get some other peoples opinions who know a bit more about this than I do. I currently have a fairly outdated system asus p35 with core2duo e6750 and 4gb ram with a evga 9800gtx+. I am really broke right now and can't afford a new build. I have about 300$ that I can spend on a new graphics card and I was thinking about getting a 660ti or a 7950. My question is should I get the new graphics card so I can get better performance in current games which my guess will be bottle necked due to my outdated system or should I save up my money till i get 1000-1500 and get a kick ass new system when the time comes.
Old August 18, 2012, 04:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

A 660 would be overkill with your CPU.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old August 18, 2012, 05:01 AM
Top Prospect

Well that doesn't really answer my question. Why would it be overkill? I am wondering because regardless I am planning on building a new rig in about 6-9 months after I save up. But I really would like to be able to play current games at a better FPS for the time being. I am really sick of this old machine it barely boots up half the time these days... Sadly im unemployed and money doesn't really grow on trees.
Old August 18, 2012, 06:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You will definately notice a difference with a GPU bump but you won't get the full performance out of it as your CPU will likely bottleneck it.

You could get the GPU now and then just put it in the new rig when you have it built..

Yes it will be cheaper when you do upgrade but the question is
Can you live with the 9800 till then?
Can you really afford to drop $300 on a GPU if money is that tight?

only you can answer these.
Old August 18, 2012, 08:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
You will definately notice a difference with a GPU bump but you won't get the full performance out of it as your CPU will likely bottleneck it.

You could get the GPU now and then just put it in the new rig when you have it built..

Yes it will be cheaper when you do upgrade but the question is
Can you live with the 9800 till then?
Can you really afford to drop $300 on a GPU if money is that tight?

only you can answer these.
Sorry I was tight for time on my first post. I agree with the above. If you will for sure be upgrading the rest of you rig soon then you definitely could go for the 660, however, you will be limited by your CPU in game until it is upgraded. The other point is that I would not run the new card on your old power supply, so you will need the budget for a QUALITY 550 watt power supply as well. Otherwise I would wait out and upgrade everything at once, or get a cheaper used video card for now. Maybe a gtx 460 or 560.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old August 18, 2012, 08:43 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Upgrade your ram to at least 6-8 gb you'll notice a huge difference in swapping with windows.. I am running an older e8400 still and it's great... About to get a 660ti as well.
Old August 18, 2012, 08:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stukka View Post
I am really sick of this old machine it barely boots up half the time these days...
Try to address the boot problem with your computer first. If you get a new GPU but then your system gets into a state where it won't boot at all, you'll be worse off. Hopefully it's something you can do without changing parts like an OS reinstall.

Judging from how badly my Athlon 5200+ paired with a Radeon 4870 choked on Civilizations V, a GPU upgrade on your current system won't do much. If you generally play strategy games or physics-heavy games, you may actually be better off spending the $300 on a CPU+Mobo+RAM package if you have a good power supply already. That would enable you to play a good set of current games at high FPS on low-medium settings, rather than being CPU bottlenecked and being unable to play any new games.

A new socket 1155 quad + motherboard + RAM is a little out of your $300 range ATM, so getting a used 1366 combo may be worthwhile.
Old August 18, 2012, 10:00 AM
Rookie

Unless you mostly play games that are heavily GPU-limited on your system, it's not worth upgrading only the GPU/memory. Instead, I would take advantage of used sales of recent, previous generation parts and upgrade the MB/CPU/RAM and a get highend last-gen video card. You might have to save a little more (including the sale of your current parts), but you will end up with a great system at the best value.

With a tight budget, it doesn't make as much sense to blow $1k+ on a completely new system and lose on tax and rapid depreciation. Take advantage of the resale market and mix new and used parts, and sell/upgrade parts more often.
Old August 18, 2012, 11:02 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

I think you may notice a slight GPU bump, but not much. I was running a p35 + E7300 (OC to 3.7GHz) + a 5770 CF setup and both cpu cores were at 100% when playing games. Saving for a new system makes the most sense financially but if you absolutely need it and cannot afford a new system your best bet is buying used.

Run perfmon when playing games and see if your CPU is limiting you - if it is you need a better system (makes no sense to buy another Core 2 CPU to do a sidegrade). If its not then you'll benefit from a newer GPU. Look at the used market (BST forums), you can get a GTX 560 or HD6870 for <$150.
Old August 18, 2012, 11:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My Q6600 was maxed right out trying to keep my 560Ti fed.