Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 18, 2012, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would go for a 460 or the like but you need to consider also that what about your PSU will it also need to be upgraded?
Old August 18, 2012, 06:25 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for all your advice guys really appreciate it.

I currently have a corsair tx650. Im pretty sure its an older generation as it has no 80plus rating on it. I know the PSU should be fine. Im just stuck in a tough place right now. Id like to be playing battlefield 3, skyrim and all the other newer titles.

About using the BST is it really worth it to build a whole new system off of there when ill most likely be getting parts without warranties? Also I would prefer to get a mid to higher end rig that will last me a couple years rather than constantly upgrading that just seems like a money pit to me? I will hopefully be getting a new job soon and making more money than my previous job so hopefully then I can save up and get myself a new pc around christmas time or after that.

I honestly don't know what the issue is at boot sometimes it takes about 10 times to boot and nothing happens and eventually it will boot. Sometimes it says new cpu installed load default values or change settings or something rather. I also tried updating bios from asus and that just totally screwed the system up. I would guess its probably an issue with the mobo. It never did any of this stuff before only recently and i have had most of this rig for 5 years i think.

The main reason i really want a new rig is im on a lot of old recycled parts. Still using an IDE dvd drive and some pretty old hard drives. My rig is this old because i spent a lot of time gaming on consoles lately and kind of left it in the dust for a while but i really want to get back into pc gaming as the graphics. Not to mention the controls are just so much nicer specially for FPS. It really is time for something new its been way too long.
Old August 18, 2012, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you time it right you can get a system that will easily do you maybe 3 years and then sell before it's worthless..
Second-hand parts are a very good way to cut your spend though I tend to find local prices are much better than net prices (less market and people don't want to ship)

Nothing wrong with having an older rig at all..
Most of my friends are all pc gamers but sit about 2 generations behind the current as it costs so bloody much for parts in Ireland / UK and they have no problem with the new games.

It all comes down to balancing what you need/want with what you can afford..

If you can say you'll definitely have a new pc in 6 months or so.. then I would go the 660..

If not, it may be worth waiting till you HAVE it all then buy everything (new or second hand)

Post a new thread in the troubleshooting section to try and get help fixing your current issues anyway..
if the pc is dieing then there is no point spending money on a card that could be damaged or just left gathering dust till you have the funds to buy a new rig
Old August 18, 2012, 09:55 PM
Rookie

Regarding warranties for used parts, I don't think that's a problem since many kinds of parts are most likely to keep working within the would-be warranty period if they weren't found to be defective early on. Besides, you can buy used parts that include the original receipt/documentation for warranty purposes. The resale market also includes brand new and unused, open-box items.

I just built a 3770K computer that is all new except for the video card, but I would have no reservations about buying used parts at significant savings, as I have in the past, like the CPU, memory, and add-in cards. Some parts are probably better to buy new, like storage devices, but that depends on your preferences.

I'm just saying there are some great deals to be had from alternative sources for people on a tight budget.

There's a sweet spot in the product cycle for buying and selling, and you can maintain a continuously capable system much more economically with well-timed upgrades, than spending a lot of money every 4 years for a brand new, higher-end system that loses significant value after a short while.
Old August 19, 2012, 01:24 AM
Top Prospect

What you guys have both said definitely makes sense. What I really want to do eventually is have a water cooled rig all color matching and looking nice. Just because i enjoy those types of things and ive always wanted to do that. My rigs in the past have been frankensteins with the cheapest parts basically. I imagine it would be a little bit more difficult to do that via b/s/t. Also my new job is about 90% a go and its located in prince george so i am not sure how well b/s/t locally would work there heh. I think it would be better to wait anyways because in 6 months time ill be able to get currently higher end stuff for relatively cheap correct me if i am wrong but that would give me a good pc at a big discount and only 6 months of suffering.

I will have to replicate the error and document it then i will post in troubleshooting. Thanks dzzope.
Old August 19, 2012, 01:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Most of the older/sn members that use the WTB?WTS section will be more than happy to help out with a warrenty claim if something goes bad, TBH if you are on a budget this would be the avenue i would look at. That said if you feel you can hold off and wait while saving then again you will probably be happier in the long run since 6 months in computer time is like a decade in other things.

I would say save for now but keep your eye out in the BST section for a good deal if a good deal comes up then you might want to consider picking up parts used as you go. Remember folders swap out cards quite frequently as newer gpus come out.
Hell you might even find they would offer a slight discount if you were to fold with it for the F@H team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old August 19, 2012, 02:11 AM
Top Prospect

Yeah i never thought of that but you are right. Ive always thought of trying out folding. My pc has pretty much 99% up time so i might as well put it to good use when im not using it.