Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 17, 2012, 12:56 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Question Corsiar H60 Fan Options

I just recently finished my new PC build (finally!). I had some questions about the cooling and the fans I'm using. I'm running an FX4100 with a corsair H60. My system is living inside of an NZXT Source 220. The Rad is cooled by two fans in push/pull configuration, the "push" fan is a corsair SP120 Performance Edition, while the "pull" fan is the factory installed 120mm case fan from NZXT. My questions are, is the pull fan good enough to be on the rad in the current push/pull config, (b) what kind of fan do you want to use for the "pull" in a push/pull? A static pressure fan or a High airflow optimized fan? Or, since the rad is so thin on the H60, will the SP120 for the push be enough in most cases?
Old August 17, 2012, 02:31 PM
NCIX System Builder

My System Specs

Unless you are overclocking, or in the ambience of 30c, you won't have to worry about overheating, since the H60 is a fairly decent closed loop watercooler.

The NZXT fan is a case fan and not designed for heatsinks, but it still works :P.

For the most optimal push/pull temperatures, you will want a high static pressure fan such as Noctua's, or Gentle Typhoons.

The rad is low density, meaning your SP120 and "high cfm" fans will do just fine.
Old August 17, 2012, 03:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As the above poster said, you should be fine with the case fan used a 'pull' on the H60's rad. It will still help pull air through the rad and I think that you will still be better off with it than not. Replacing it with a higher static pressure fan won't help temperatures much.
Old August 17, 2012, 03:19 PM
Rookie

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it may be beneficial to have 2 of the same fans.
Old August 17, 2012, 03:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it may be beneficial to have 2 of the same fans.
Ideally, yes I think it would be, but it won't really affect temperatures that much I don't think. Airflow is airflow, it doesn't matter what fans you use or if they are the same matching brand. If the NZXT fan is loud then yeah change it, otherwise it won't affect cooling with the good SP120 pushing air into the rad.
Old August 17, 2012, 11:26 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well the most overclocking I'll be doing right now is using the High-performance mode on the Asus M5A99x Evo. Not to say I wont do more later. However in either case, I want to maximize the performance of both of CPU and the H60, so I'm just trying to determine a setup in which I can do just that. I'm going to be ordering either two corsair AF120 Quiet Edition or two Cougar 120mm as intakes to replace the current crappy ones, and Im wondering if I should replace the NZXT 120 with something else as well. And if so should it be a high pressure or high cfm fan.

Also on a side note, is 3C on all four cores normal? (according to CPUID Hardware Monitor). That seems a little freezing for a CPU, even with a water cooler. I mean, my phone gets warmer then that...
Old August 18, 2012, 05:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

3c... it's not reporting right..
Old August 18, 2012, 07:42 AM
Rookie

Yea, 3C does not seem like it's reporting it correctly. I would try using another program.