Old August 13, 2012, 09:47 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Please critque this PC build

1. The PC will be used for: MMO Gaming, School work and Blu-Ray Movie watching

2. My budget is: $1500-$2000 max

3. I will be buying the parts from: America, from Newegg, Tiger Direct/ Compusa

4. My brand preference is: Intel, Nvidia, and Corsair Products

5. Do I intend on using any current parts, and if so, what those parts are: No, All parts will be purchased new and unopened

6. If I have searched and/or read similar threads: I have read multiple threads concerning PC building over the last several months

7. If I plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds: I plan on building it using default speeds and will give it a slight overclock of that is what my brother would want

8. When do I plan to build it? By Christmas, as it is a gift for my brother who is in college

9. What resolution and settings do you use? Since it is going to be used for moderate MMO Gaming, I'd Like it to be able to play any game he decides to play at max settings. He will be playing at 1920/1080 resolution

10. Are there any specific technologies you want? Blu-Ray support, SATA3 6.0Gb/s, USB 3.0 support and Super quiet case (low noise system)

Now here is the parts list (the graphics card and velociraptor HD are both gifts being used in the build)

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus V Gene LGA 1155 Intel Z77

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 Superclocked+ 4GB

Optical Drive: Lite-On Internal 12x Blu-Ray Reader combo drive

Hard Drive 1: WD VelociRaptor 1TB 10000 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Hard Drive 2: Crucial M4 mSATA 32GB SATA III MLC SSD (used as intel srt cache drive)

Power Supply: Corsair AX750 Fully Modular PSU with optional black individually sleeved PSU cables

CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper TX3 CPU Cooler

PC Case: Silverstone PS07B with Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm replacement case fans

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

If the power supply is overkill for the parts I have listed, would dropping down to the AX650 be an alright change to make for the build as everything else is pretty much set in stone parts wise
Old August 13, 2012, 10:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridun64 View Post
If the power supply is overkill for the parts I have listed, would dropping down to the AX650 be an alright change to make for the build as everything else is pretty much set in stone parts wise
You could definitely drop down to a 650W power supply, the 670 and 3570k won't need a 750W PSU.

For the Cooler, I'm sure that the TX3 would be fine, but i think that the H212+ is a bit better. The mounting looks a bit more sturdy and it has additional heatpipes that the TX3 doesn't have.
Old August 13, 2012, 11:35 PM
Allstar

Drop 16GB of RAM down to 8GB unless he's in Comp Sci and expect to run VM or some kind of 3D design. I would drop the Raptor HDD and the mSATA SSD and get a pure SSD drive and a storage 1TB HDD. This will probably give you better speed since a Raptor drive with SRT would likely be slower than a pure SSD boot drive. Does he really need Blu-ray? Can't you two share a Netflix streaming account?
Old August 14, 2012, 10:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If you are looking for quiet cases, I'd suggest looking at Antec cases. I'd also suggest using a liquid cooler; the Antec Kuhler or the Corsair H60 or H80 would be very good choices. Finally, I would also suggest dropping the 750W power supply to a 650W p/s, as you are unlikely to need the extra power.
For more information on quiet computing, I'd recommend checking out the parts listed at Nexus Quiet PC Hardware | Quiet Power Supply | Silent Case Fan | Silent CPU Cooler | all ideal for a Quiet PC or silentpcreview.com | Everything about Silent / Quiet Computers
Old August 14, 2012, 12:40 PM
Rookie

Ummm... isn't a GTX 670 a major overkill for pure MMO gaming? MMO games are mostly developed for PC and they're optimized in most PC environments. Any low-mid ranged graphics cards are more than enough. Even a latest MMO game like Guild Wars 2 only asks for Nivida 7800 GS for minimum and a Nvidia GTS 450 for recommended. Perhaps a GTX 560Ti or a Radeon HD6950 is something you should look into.

Last edited by horusray; August 14, 2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old August 15, 2012, 03:14 AM
Allstar

Memory: 8GB is plenty.

Graphics Card: downgrade to GTX 670 2GB. There are no benefits gained from the 2 extra GB at 1080P resolution.

Hard Drive 1: SSD

Hard Drive 2: WD Caviar Black or Green. VelociRaptor is Power hungry, noisy, expensive and not as fast as SSD.
Old August 16, 2012, 01:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
Memory: 8GB is plenty.

Graphics Card: downgrade to GTX 670 2GB. There are no benefits gained from the 2 extra GB at 1080P resolution.

Hard Drive 1: SSD

Hard Drive 2: WD Caviar Black or Green. VelociRaptor is Power hungry, noisy, expensive and not as fast as SSD.
This...

On the 4GB card.. you will run out of graphics power before you run out of ram.. The only reason for 4GB would be if you were using really high resolution texture pack and had everything max'd at a higher res.

On the HDD.. I am swayed by the seagate 7200.14
It's faster than a WD black, I haven't heard much in the way of large failure rates and it's cheaper than a WD blue. grab a 2 TB one
Veliciraptor is a total waste IMO. (for most people, certainly for your needs.)

You'll also not use 8GB of ram never mind 16.. that said ram is relatively cheap and you could create a small ramdisk with the extra 8. (think ssd caching on a smaller but MUCH faster scale)

What monitor are you planning to play on?
With you budget and spec I hope your going for something more than a standard 1920x1080 tn panel (catleap thread in display section may be interesting for you)