Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 13, 2012, 01:57 PM
Rookie

Default Your advice for this Guild Wars 2 build please.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
- Primary use: mmo's like Guild Wars 2 but also I would like to run games like Skyrim, the upcoming Assassin's Creed 3 and the likes. I don't play fps games. I am concerned at having a good framerate for GW2 mass pvp (WvW) though.

- I would also like to add a second monitor for web/forum browsing while I play my games but this can wait for later this fall.

2. What YOUR budget is.
- 1000$can before shipping and taxes, of course lower is better.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
- Canada, both online and city store to save shipping if possible.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference.
- I always had Intel computers but I am open to try anything, as long as it's solid.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
- I already have a gaming mouse and keyboard, new speakers/sub woofer and I will reuse my LG dvd reader/burner, my soundcard (soundblaster) and my Samsung 19'' wide monitor (max 1440X900)

- I need Window 7 64bits OS, home premium probably?

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
-yes for a full week and I am very confused because there are so many choices! I am mainly concerned about compatibility and if my build would last a good 4 years. I checked many benchmark graphics and it helped me figure out the basics.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
-I have absolutly zero experience with overclocking and to be honest it's scaring me! I would like lets say a mild to medium, safe overclocking IF the games I am interested in ask for it. I would like to stay away from water cooling though.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
- Like now? My build need to be set up and running by August 25th :) I checked many video guides DIY and I am confident I can do this.

9. What resolution and settings do you use?
- It is for mainly gaming and I would like to run at max graphics with AA on and no lag in pvp. I sincerely forget what resolution I was playing in GW2 beta weekends but it was around 1280Xsomething I think.

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
-
SSD! USB 3.0, SATA3because I want to be open for future upgrades and technology.

So here is what I came up with after reading posts and reviews:CPU: i5 3570k (because I want USB 3.0, lower voltage etc. and some overclocking)
Microbytes, 222.41$ (no shipping needed)
MoBo: MSI Z77a-G45 but would Asus be better?
Tigerdirect, 125$ after rebate
GPU: GTX 570 even if it's probably overkill for the games I play, I want it to last years.
NCiX, 230$ after rebate
PSU: 80+, modular like Seasonic M12II 620W
Microbytes, 109$ (no shipping needed)
Hard Drive: SATA3 1.0TB SEAGATE 7200.12 64M ST1000DM003Microbytes, 90$(no shipping needed)
SSD:
Adata sata3 they seem to have awesome reviews, 120GB seems enough for my OS and main game
NCIX, 80$ after rebate
RAM: Vision Tek 2X4GB (any brand I don't care much)
tiger direct, 46$
Case: can't make up my mind here, too many, IN WIN Dragon Rider Full Tower has great reviews? I want a case that will last for even my next build in 4 years.
NCIX, 140$

That puts me around 1043$ so 43$ over my budget without the OS. And I don't even have a heatsink yet (I forgot to research them, are they an absolute must have?)

Any suggestion on what is overkill and where I could go cheaper to save money? Like maybe on the case but this one has awesome review and I want something with all the features the dragon rider offers (I don't care at all for the look by the way). Should I go cheaper on the GPU? Maybe switch to AMD? Or is this a good build and I should really get it?

Thank you for you time! :) <3
Old August 13, 2012, 02:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

2 things to start:

1.What resolution do you plan to game at? That's important to design a system around.
2. That Inwin is a full tower case that takes EATX boards. Do you really need one that big? If so, maybe the Shinobi XL is more to your taste? Bitfenix Shinobi Window XL XL-ATX Tower Case Black 5X5.25EXT 7X3.5INT PS2 ATX Bottom 4XUSB3.0 Audio - BitFenix - BFC-SNX-500-KKW1-RP

Edit: Whoops, I missed where you posted your monitor size. The GTX570 is overkill and will run anything currently released at that resolution. It will run pretty much anything at 1920x1080.
Old August 13, 2012, 02:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would wait a little closer to release until the GW2 client optimizations are finalized. From what I've seen so far, every new client build has had some affect on resource usage. (mostly significant)

All we know for sure GW2 will be locked to 4 cores (for now) and will be fairly CPU reliant, so current generation AMD processors are probably out of the picture. The devs are also still working on graphics driver optimizations for Nvidia and ATI/AMD, so what we know now about the graphics could change quite a bit at launch.
Old August 13, 2012, 03:10 PM
Rookie

While GW2 will be my main game it's not the only one I play/will play. And release is in 12 days only.

I don't mind a smaller case, as long as I have good airflow and durability and the features I like, smaller and a lower price is welcomed. For the GPU I want something that will also play Assassin's Creed 3 but if the GTX 570 is not necessary please some advice on what to replace it with?

Is the compatibility ok for the rest? Mother boards are very confusing for me.
Old August 13, 2012, 03:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The listed parts should all work together fine, but there's 2 items I'm a little leery of.

For your memory I'd probably pick a bigger brand name. Memory issues are difficult to track down. Look at these in the same price range: Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 XMP Dual Channel Memory Kit - Kingston - KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX

I've not had any experience with Adata SSD's, and again I'd probably stick to a bigger brand name like Intel, Crucial or OCZ. Check the storage forum, you should find our SSD reviewer AkG's current recommendations.

Case wise, it's all individual taste. I'd start by browsing Coolermaster and Corsair cases on NCIX to see if you see something you like. I've built a few systems in the 690 II, it's a good all around case but not to everyone's taste: Coolermaster cm 690 II Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case Black 4X5.25 1X3.5EXT 6X3.5INT *No PSU* - COOLERMASTER - RC-692-KKN2
Old August 13, 2012, 04:11 PM
Rookie

Looks like a fine case but no USB 3.0 unfortunately.
Old August 13, 2012, 04:57 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

My current build (it will change a bit soon but...) was meant for GW2 and it looks like what you have in mind.

Ivy Bridge i5 3570K
16Gb RAM Patriot Extreme Div. 2
MSI Z77A-GD65 Mobo
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk
OCZ Agility 3 120Gb SSD (for the capacity it depends on how many programs you install)
Corsair H100 for the heatsink
NZXT Tempest 410 Elite

I managed to be just under 1000$ with the current rebates.
Old August 13, 2012, 06:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Corsair Carbide 400R and 500R both have USB 3.0 ports on top. you could also get some used parts, especially the CPU : getting the 3570k over the 2500k doesn't really make any sense, you could save 30$ right there, even if you get it new. Just because it has 18W lower max tdp? you don't fold, so it will not stay at 100% TDP 24/7 like I will keep my future rig, so not really a big advantage there. Apparently a better option would be the Xeon E3 1230V2 that works for sure on a H77 mobo, namely Asrock H77 Pro4-M. i7 performance at (almost) i5 price (6%more).

Last edited by MARSTG; August 13, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old August 13, 2012, 06:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not sure what you like for cases but this Lian Li PC-8FIB aluminum case has usb 3 as well. Lian Li's are lighter and sleeker than the heavier steel cases and have a a nice finish on them.

As far as motherboards go I'm sure any of these would be alright:
MSI z77 gd55 $138
AsRock Z77 Pro4 $129
ASUS P8Z77-V Lk $135

For memory, any 2x4GB DDR3-1600 kit from gskill, corsair, mushkin, kingston would work. You dont need to spend more than 60 bucks on it.

For an ssd, ocz vertex 3's are on sale at ncix.

For a video card, I bet at that at 1440x900 resolution a gtx 560 non-Ti or even a 6870 or 7770 would be fine. Maybe check out the Buy/Sell/Trade section of the forum to see if you can get a 560Ti/570 or 6950 for a good price if you want something more 'future-proof'.
Old August 13, 2012, 08:10 PM
Rookie

Thank you guys for the suggestions! I will look into each of them and try to come up with a cheaper in price build! Each computer case I am looking at always has a little something missing or bugging me (no USB 3.0 connected to Motherboard, not enough fans, no easy to access dust filter, unmoving drive cage, bad cable management etc). I guess this is the part that will take me the most time to chose.