Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2012, 07:16 PM
Rookie

Default First build for $0.00 from hand me down parts

Hi I know this is going to sound odd but I have this experiment I want to try. I have almost no money to buy a new computer, but I have access to transportation - a car. I've never had a "gaming computer". I have been using the same cruddy laptop for almost 4 years now. I really want to get into system building and PC gaming but just can't afford to do so right now with my current living conditions. I'm also trying to gain experience in PC building for a potential future job. Just something I can put on my resume. I consider myself a PC enthusiast even though never having the opportunity to build my own system. Everyday I come home and read all the computer hardware sites and tech news sites. In fact I'm quite positive I have seen every video LinusTechTips and NCIXcom has put out on YouTube. I'm fairly confident in my ability to build a pc even though having no hands on experience.

Like I said I'm on almost a $0.00 budget with all my money going to school bills and things of this nature. My idea is that maybe there is some way I could round up enough free hand-me down old computer parts to build myself a PC. I'm not talking about high end parts or anything of that nature, just anything I can put together a PC with. Basically I just want to get into PC building and want to gain experience most importantly. I'm not looking to run BF3 on ultra, I'm looking to run Age of Empires at a decent FPS.

I didn't know where to post this so sorry if its in a bad section.

Anyways here is what I had in mind exactly

I live in the Niagara region of Canada and have access to transportation and don't mind travelling a bit. I want to see if there is enough people out there willing to donate old PC parts for my first build. I can make a list of things I would need, and then if I am able to come across it check it off and keep updating this post. Then when I have the necessary parts I'll make this into a blog of my first build posting pictures Etc and getting help from you guys!

I am willing to put some money into this if need be. I can spare a few dollars if you can't give something up for free, or possibly pay to have something shipped.

I'm just looking for ideas here I really want to get into this, if anyone knows of other ways to get old free PC parts I'm open for suggestions.

Like I said I'm just throwing this idea out there, If it gets good feedback and people here think they can come up with enough parts for me to put together a frank-en PC I'll turn this into like a BLOG with what I've accumulated and post the build process. I think it will be really cool to see if I can build a PC for almost no money from completely hand-me down parts.

Thank you!
Old August 6, 2012, 09:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Post on CL and Kijiji on the wanted area plus services that you pick up working or dead systems from people. Also talk to your returnIT depots that you will volunteer a few days to help with sorting stuff in exchange for getting to look through all the computer gear that people throw out.

Just cuz you have no money doesnt mean you cant have a half way decent computer, it just means you have to earn it with Karma and help people out.

This weekend I build a computer for a poor guy on disability but he wanted to be able to play games with his family some of which are great friends of mine. So I hunted through the recycled and free adds on CL and went to the returnIT, I helped sort bottles for 8 hours then fixed 3 LCD TV's 32 42 and 50" that all had the power button on the back come de-soldered so I repaired them and got a good look through all the systems for that trade.

The system ended up being
New Zalman Z9 case donated by a supplier
q8300 CPU or Q8 something haha 2.5Ghz 775 quad core is all I know found in dead HP at returnit
Asus P5G41t-LX plus motherboard was sitting rmaed by a supplier but the company it was RMAED for went belly up so I got it
8GB ddr3 1333 Kingston found in dead HP at returnit
1TB Black WD hdd found in a raid hdd enclosure at return it both drives in warranty one was dead.
windows 7 home found on returnit system
6570 1gb found in a popped cap system at return it.

so more then worth 8 hours of helping people out and the guy is super happy with it. I dont know if I missed something in your thread but is there a reason why you deserve something for nothing? I just want to know I love helping people out but I dont help those who dont help others...

Soul
Old August 7, 2012, 09:11 AM
Rookie

I just thought considering I have almost no money this would be a cool experment. Theres no real reason I deserve something for nothing, but I was thinking I could drive around the Golden Horshoe area and round up a bunch of old obdolete pc parts from forum members and put together my first computer like that. I would make like a work in progress thread and postb pictures and videos. I just thought it would be a cool experiment.

I'm open for doing stuff to get old parts, its just I dont know where to start. I'm just looking for suggestion here.

I was hoping the forum members could guide me, and help me along the way.

I was going to post a part list like:

Motherboard:
CPU:
PSU:

Ect

And go around collecting donations/doing anything for old pc parts and come back here and post updates. Then you guys could give me input and advice on what I still need to find and do/make sure its all compatible snd such. I would be posting pictures and videos and recording where I went to get the parts ect.

I'm open to ideas here Im so eager to get into this and have wanted to build my first pc for so long.

Thank you and any input would be so helpful.

Also if anybody thinks they know somewhere I can get parts or has parts to contribute, let me know and maybe ill post a full list and get this thing off the ground.
Old August 7, 2012, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

gl in your hunt

if your lucky you will find p4 parts
even those most people want $$ for them

i myself have donated 4 pcs last year but that was to charity
if you were a longstanding member here .......

if you want deffective n dead stuff i can help but shipping on you

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old August 7, 2012, 11:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

a very well thought out post.

a closed mouth does not get fed.

i have a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 i would be willing to donate. used for 3 months. works perfect. have the box and accessories.

i'd rather give it somebody to use rather than letting it sit in my closet until it becomes obsolete.

pm me the address. if you want to reimburse me for shipping, i think it's like $13 coming from the us, that would be cool but, not required. you can wait until you receive it.

maybe another forum member could cough up a processor and/or memory. that's a challenge fellas!!!
Old August 7, 2012, 11:29 AM
Rookie

This would be an amazing start! I would get the list and process going right away! I'm so excited. Any way i'll pm you and thank you a million.
Old August 7, 2012, 11:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirerogue View Post
a very well thought out post.

a closed mouth does not get fed.

i have a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 i would be willing to donate. used for 3 months. works perfect. have the box and accessories.

i'd rather give it somebody to use rather than letting it sit in my closet until it becomes obsolete.

pm me the address. if you want to reimburse me for shipping, i think it's like $13 coming from the us, that would be cool but, not required. you can wait until you receive it.

maybe another forum member could cough up a processor and/or memory. that's a challenge fellas!!!
That's a great gift! If you had asked last week, I would have had an old video card that you could have had. Alas, I already gave it away to another member...

Mind you, if you want to play AOE, you should be able to just run HD3000 graphics... Or maybe there's a GT430 out there that nobody's using...

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old August 7, 2012, 12:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

damn you guys are crazy, I give away tons but not till I see the forum member help out others on here, in time I might help you out there bud but not till I see the favor returned to the forum :)
Old August 7, 2012, 12:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Good luck finding a processor to go in that board for nothing... I actually very surprised that board is going for free (fair dues to wire)

I think soul gave you the best advice anyone could for getting a system thats going to play anything modern at decent fps..
You may need a lil more info about whats in your area but he has hit the nail on the head..

Alternatively you can stand on the side of the street with a sign saying "Will work for computer parts"
Old August 7, 2012, 12:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I put a challenge to you NewB if you can get me a signed work sheet from your local food bank that you put in a measly 2 hours a week with them for a month, I will personally buy you a CPU and Ram or a GPU.

Or if you help the people out on here and go above and beyond then I will return the favor to you, ask the Admins I'm not BSing you I give away high end stuff but only to those who earn it and help their fellow nerds, or community.
Closed Thread

Tags
donate , first build , help with new build , old parts