Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 5, 2012, 10:26 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default New Build, SSD+HDD?

Hello everyone, I finally completed my first ever build after working two jobs everyday, 7 days a week. Of course, this build was assembled with the help of my father. I finished installing windows and i have a question to ask you guys. I have an SSD (Crucial M4 120gb) with windows 7 ultimate installed. I also have a 1tb HDD (Black Caviar) that i want to use as a storage device. It is recognized in bios but doesn't show up under my computer. I know this is a stupid moment for me, but how do i set it up? Many thanks everyone!
Here are my system specs:
Case: Cooler master HAF X

Motherboard:
ASUS Sabertooth z77.

Graphics Card (may be outdated):
MSI R7950 3GB OC MODEL GRAPHICS CARD

Power Supply:
corsair tx650m power supply

CPU:
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

RAM:
Corsair low profile vengeance black (16gb 4x4gb)

Hard Drive:
Western Digital Caviar Black WDBAAZ0010HNC-NRSN 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Disk Drive:
Sony Combo Drive (non blu ray)

CPU Cooler:
Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Also, should i install EVERYTHING in the asus disk or just some things? If so, which things should i install?
Old August 5, 2012, 11:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You'll probably need to assign a drive letter to the HDD in disk management before it will show up in Windows.

There's a great thread on the forums you should read through concerning SSD usage. A little further down, it explains how to set up your SSD as a primary drive.

So you wanna buy a SSD? Read this first.

*edit* That's a nice looking build you have. Congrats on working hard and saving for the build. Nice to see true work reward in a world that runs on credit. Enjoy!
Old August 5, 2012, 12:04 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks caldezar! I'm a high school student so this took 70h work week (7 days) from two jobs. Although it was ALOT of work and tiring, i'm glad i was finally able to purchase my new build. Cheers!

Edit: I got the drive to show up and work, but how do i make it so that my documents/pictures and everything come directly from the HDD? Also, can i install programs on the SDD but steam on the HDD?

Last edited by PcWizTech; August 5, 2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old August 5, 2012, 08:17 PM
Top Prospect

To move your documents, and media to your hard drive, open Windows Explorer>in the left navigation pane, right-click one of the Libraries>select Properties>click "Include a folder">navigate to your storage drive, and create a new Documents folder there>click "include folder">the folder should now be visible in the Properties dialog for that Library, click to select it>now select "Set Save Location"
Repeat for other Libraries(music, pictures, saves, etc)

During the installation of Steam, you should be given the option to install it to another location other than the default C:

Nice build there.
Old August 6, 2012, 12:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

To add to the above.. probably the most imortant thing to have off ssd would be your default download folder.. Lots of large writes etc reducing the life of your drive for no need is bleh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcWizTech View Post
Also, should i install EVERYTHING in the asus disk or just some things? If so, which things should i install?
You should install nothing from the disks you get with anything.. go to the websites and get the latest drivers instead as they will be more refined and have less bugs.
Old August 6, 2012, 06:40 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for everything Guys, looks like im all set!