Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4, 2012, 09:03 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default 2nd-3rd-ish build. Need help and suggestions.

Hi guys. My house got burglarized and they took my first-ever rig. I figured that I might as well build a better one and try out Nvidia this time.

HDD

Video card (GTX 680)

i5 3570K

RAM and mobo (bundle)

PSU (is it enough?)

Case looks promising but just in case
Old August 4, 2012, 09:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Don't use a green HDD.. or at least not for anything but storing data/media.. Don't use it for a boot drive or to run programs from..
If your not getting an SSD then I would suggest the Seagate 2TB 7200.14.. If you are getting one then a 256GB vertex4 is pretty sweet.

A 680 is overkill for your resolution.. 670 DC II wouldd be awesome though..

Can't say I'm a fan of gigabyte.. bad experiences with trying to return faulty stuff to them.. But they do good spec boards for the price.

PSU is a little more than you need.. 650 would be enough.

Again not a huge fan of antec cases but nothing wrong with them.. but personal preference is a huge thing with cases.
Old August 4, 2012, 09:46 PM
Top Prospect

Nice build there, nVidia recommends a minimum 550 Watt PSU for a single GTX 680, so that PSU should be sufficient even with a mild processor overclock. I would suggest looking at another hard drive however, perhaps a Caviar Black model, or other 7,200 RPM disk if you will be using it as your primary drive.
The Antec chassis will likely serve you well, you may want to add an additional intake fan, as it includes only two exhausts, and no intakes. Good-luck.