Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4, 2012, 12:15 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
I really don't see the point myself.. a 660 should be about the same performance(will be slightly lower raw power but you don't lose anything in the scaling of a multi-gpu configuration)..
granted a little more expensive to buy (am expecting them to be about the 330 mark)
but will consume much less power.. produce much less heat and you won't have any hassle with x-fire support or the like..

Single fastest card should be considered before looking at duals..

As for the set-up being all made for dual cards... well in 2 years when your looking to upgrade.. drop in a new card and be done..

end of the day it's your shout.. your money etc etc. My opinion is fastest single card you can get your hands on.

Dual 6950's are a lil overkill but nothing too crazy.. Should run the most intensive games for a while at max settings without issue..
Thank you so much for your input! Yeah you've convinced me. I'll be hunting for a single powerful card from this generation, but not necessarily a 660. We'll see. I really want the Radeon 7850 as I see people overclocking it to gtx580's stock oerformance.
Old August 4, 2012, 12:22 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tianfeng View Post
That's an awesome find. Right now I still prefer buying 2nd hand cards. I'm working on passing the 25post limitation, so I can set up a WTB thread in trade section. I'm just gonna be patient and vigilant.
Old August 4, 2012, 12:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusray View Post
Thank you so much for your input! Yeah you've convinced me. I'll be hunting for a single powerful card from this generation, but not necessarily a 660. We'll see. I really want the Radeon 7850 as I see people overclocking it to gtx580's stock oerformance.
660 looks like it will out-perform a 580 out of the box.

if you google 660ti review I'm sure you'll find the same article I read.. not gonna post a link or nout to it here though as it's still under NDA and hwc obviously would remove it anyway..
if you do find it, the same people were right about other previously released cards too. They aren't the most in-depth reviews (like you get here) but give a good idea..

basically, wait and see what happens when it's released and then make a decision would be my suggestion.
Old August 4, 2012, 12:57 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
660 looks like it will out-perform a 580 out of the box.

if you google 660ti review I'm sure you'll find the same article I read.. not gonna post a link or nout to it here though as it's still under NDA and hwc obviously would remove it anyway..
if you do find it, the same people were right about other previously released cards too. They aren't the most in-depth reviews (like you get here) but give a good idea..

basically, wait and see what happens when it's released and then make a decision would be my suggestion.
Yea, I read that review on the day it was posted. I'm aware gtx660ti may have the potential to blow away most of the modern cards. With a aftermarket cooler, it may cost $330+tax. That's way out of my budget! I hope I can score a cheap 7850/7870/7950. Meanwhile.... still collecting my 25 posts!
Old August 4, 2012, 03:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

There is nothing stopping you from buying from other peoples FS threads.. (I believe there is a 570 in there already)
Just whether they will entertain you as the BST section is seen by many as a reward of sorts for being part of the community. :)
Some will, some won't.. no harm in trying though. :)

Last edited by Dzzope; August 4, 2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old August 5, 2012, 12:42 AM
Top Prospect

It really depends upon the type of games you play, as not all game engines are created equal. I would advise buying the best single-GPU that fits in your budget, as there are several drawbacks to the dual-GPU route (noise, power consumption, heat, driver issues, etc). A 560 ti, or 6950 should be considered for their value and strong performance at those prices at 1080p resolutions, and should allow you to max most in-game settings, even BF3.
Old August 5, 2012, 01:36 AM
Rookie

As I mentioned in the other thread, the best new conditioned card I can afford is either a gtx480 or gtx 560ti. They're very similar to a 5870 in performance.... a 3-yr-old card...which my frd happens to own one.