Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   1st new build (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/55799-1st-new-build.html)

puroguy July 30, 2012 07:09 PM

1st new build
 
This will be my 1st new build.. I am wondering when i order my processer does the heatsink come with it or do I need to order it seperaltly

thanks to those who answered.. I am going to use the AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8120FRGUBOX

can anyone suggest the best mother board for this processor

Keltron 3030 July 30, 2012 07:47 PM

Depends on the processor. All amd processors come with a heatsink. All Intel except for socket 2011 come with a heatsink.

Ajiki-kun July 30, 2012 09:20 PM

Good chance it does, but also good chance you may want a stronger one. What processor is it, and what do you plan to do with it?

Dzzope July 30, 2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keltron 3030 (Post 645570)
Depends on the processor. All amd processors come with a heatsink. All Intel except for socket 2011 come with a heatsink.

ehrm.. no..


A retail boxed processor will come with a heatsink.. an OEM one will not..

Depending on what your buying and what for you may want to buy even a cheap after-market heatsink as the reference one's tend to be a bit poo.

Herne July 31, 2012 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzzope (Post 645593)
Depending on what your buying and what for you may want to buy even a cheap after-market heatsink as the reference one's tend to be a bit poo.

I think I might be buying an Intel after a decade of AMD. This poo of which you speak, is this poo for overclocking (which I won't be doing) or poo as in louder then it should be, less reliable?

misterd July 31, 2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herne (Post 645613)
I think I might be buying an Intel after a decade of AMD. This poo of which you speak, is this poo for overclocking (which I won't be doing) or poo as in louder then it should be, less reliable?

Actually both. Aftermarket fans and the heatsinks they cool are generally far quieter. And you get to overclock too! WIN WIN! :thumb:

Dzzope July 31, 2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterd (Post 645619)
Actually both. Aftermarket fans and the heatsinks they cool are generally far quieter. And you get to overclock too! WIN WIN! :thumb:

This.. but they are sufficient for stock (and SLIGHT oc.. but very limited)

you can pick-up an after-market cooler for not very much money that will help your pc run cooler and quieter.

That said.. the retail boxed ones can still be a good idea even if your not using the cooler as they have (at least in Intels case) 3 years warranty vs 1 for OEM chips

Bond007 July 31, 2012 06:50 PM

As others have said...retail CPU have a cooler and OEM do not (if it doesn't say OEM anywhere then it is retail).

Rampager August 2, 2012 12:28 PM

Personally I would go with a OEM version and purchase a after market cpu cooler, as they are not too expesive. If going with Air cooling you can get a decent aftermarket cpu cooler around 30 - 200 depending on budget, if you have a bit more of budget and go with liquid cooling the newer all-in-one kits are actually ok such as the H80 or H100 and so on. Personally I use the H80 on my i7 950 and it is nice, quiet, and keeps the cpu nice and cool.

Dzzope August 2, 2012 02:57 PM

Bt as said.. inly a 1 year warranty vs 3 years for retail-boxed one (and very little in the price difference)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:44 PM.