Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 26, 2012, 06:25 AM
Rookie

Default Building a new rig

Hello out there, this is my virgin-message if you will, so be gentle
As the title says i am going to make myself a new rig, i have a long list made up with all the parts i would like in it, and i have made a lot of research about every part on the list, but i just wanted some different eyes on it, so i am sure i haven't made any stupid mistakes (since i tend to do that sometimes).
Performance wise i am going to play Guild Wars 2 mostly, so no Crysis 2 100 fps machine here, just want a solid machine for some good gaming experience, and i want it to be quite. I love my machine but i don't want to listen to it every time it's on. So here is the list, so give you thoughts about what i have found and tell if i missed something
Mobo - ASUS P9X79 PRO
CPU - Intel i7 3820
CPU Cooling - Corsair H80
CPU Fans - Titan Kukri 120mm (these have been chosen on the facts: they match the build, they are PWM)
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 4x2GB 1600Mhz quad kit
GTX Card - eVGA GTX 670 FTW
Sound - Using onboard, will maybe upgrade to dedicated in the future)
System SSD - OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2TB
PSU - Sea Sonic X-760
Case - Fractal Design R4 Black
Case Fans - Xigmatek 140mm XAF LED Blue (They match and are also PWM)
Optic - Samsung SH-B123L

And going to be running this with a 24" Samsung monitor.
Some of the main things about all this, i am kinda picky around the colorscheme in my case, since i will put a window sidepanel in once it's released, or mod it myself. And as said i want i quiet so thats the reason for the PWM fans, which is really important for me since i don't want them to work if they don't need to.
Another thing about the fans, which is the thing that have cause me the most trouble is, i want PWM and LED for case fans, and i want them to match the whole thing.
Also i will be ordering 2 titan in case i need 2 for cooling, but prefer if i could run with 1, i will have 2 Xigmatek as front intake, and atleast one for exhaust in the top, again depending on how hot it gets.
I think i will also need to say, i won't be overclocking any of the parts in the machine, maybe it will come later, but atleast not for now, so don't need to futureproof it for that.
Since i am from Denmark i would like to buy as much as i can here, and for now all the parts except fans i can get here. But if needed i don't have problem ordering from other places.

Well guess that's it, if you need any more information please tell me so
Old July 26, 2012, 06:41 AM
Allstar
F@H

Welcome to HWC! Get bigger ram sticks, either 2x 4GB or 1x 8GB, don't limit yourself filling slots with small sticks. Otherwise nice build.

Old July 26, 2012, 07:22 AM
Rookie

I've just read that you need to have at least 4 sticks to use quad channel, and from my understanding quad makes your hardware access 4 slots at the same time, instead of 2 with dual channel config? But could have misunderstood, that's just the reason for choosing that set, started with a 16GB quad kit, but read that if it was just for home use and gaming, i didn't need more than 4GB but would be best to go with 8GB just to be sure.
Thanks for the welcome, also looking forward to have it all in my hands
Old July 26, 2012, 07:52 AM
Rookie

A bonus question, i started out looking at Kingston HyperX memory modules in the start (Have solid experience with their modules, and their headspreaders would look awesome), but they are running at 1.65v and not the usual 1.5v, this is some kind of OC, but what exactly is the difference? Since they are also running at 1600Mhz i wonder why they are running higher volts?
Old July 26, 2012, 08:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would swap to a z77 and i5 3570k / 2500k based rig.. about the same performance but without as much cost..

Can then spend that money else-where... maybe a 256gb ssd?
Also clears the problem of 2gb sticks of ram..
Old July 26, 2012, 09:03 AM
Rookie

After i read up on the z77 i can see the only reason, is because of the 2011 socket, since IV-E should be running of that socket? It was a little way to "future proof" the pc, so i can change when the time comes for that

Last edited by Muddy Mux; July 26, 2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: My stupidity
Old July 27, 2012, 03:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes but there will probably be a new chip to bring ivy features to it and if the main lines are anything to go by then there will be little-no point in upgrading..

By the time you'd be looking to upgrade a 3570k it would be near enough time to change from a iv-e chip too..

Seems better to save more now for the same performance then spend it later on a really good new build rather than a slight upgrade.. Or on other parts of the machine which will give you more performance where you'll use it... like a larger ssd meaning you get more of your programs and games on it for more benefit...
you really will not see any difference in the processor unless your doing highly multi-threaded tasks..

As for overclocking... you have a great system that can go 20% faster for free... run happy with it now..
then when you start to feel like it's getting slow.. you can oc it instead of upgrading..

And I would look at something other than the evga card... Asus DCII TOP is very good and the gigabyte is almost as good as the asus but cheaper..
Old July 27, 2012, 06:15 AM
Rookie

Thanks for all the inputs
I have been reading a lot to check what i could change, and i could see the point about changing from x79 to z77 instead, so after i reworked my list, i have changed this, and now i am gonna say it's final, i can keep looking but at this point i have to stop, i am starting to feel kinda crazy with all my investigations But here are the changes:

Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe (Very sexy board!)
CPU: i5 3570K
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1600Mhz CL8 (The most sexy heatspreaders on ram i have seen, maybe a little expensive but i am willing to pay for the looks of it)
Graphics: eVGA GTX 670 (going for the regular one, i know its not much of the cost instead of the FTW, but i don't need the extra power for the games i play, and here in Denmark it would cost me around 50-60$ more, it all counts, and the look of the regular just match like insanely perfect with the rest)

With the cost savings i have almost got money for another monitor, and since i love my dual screen setup atm i would very much like to have that back.
All in all it has reduced the cost around 100$ or so, and it should still be able to perform well in my opinion