Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8, 2012, 07:54 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Exclamation Summer Build for Student

Hello everyone!
I'm finally back to this forum (after almost half a year) and I've finally taken the initiative to start saving up for a computer build. I had the barrier of school and age blocking me from my goal, but that is not a problem any longer. I've had a list of a pc build for ages, but I never really saved for it. I'm now working two jobs in the summer and I hope to have this computer purchased within a month. Here is the list that is semi outdated (i changed one part) all i need if your guys' input on what i should upgrade and modify to fit today's standards. I don't mind revamping some parts entirely. Please and thank you in advance!

Parts:
Case :COOLER MASTER HAF X nVidia Edition Green Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
(I may purchase the black and red one)

Lights:
NZXT CB-LED20-GR Sleeved LED Kit - Green, 2 m

Motherboard:
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
(Should i get this or the EVGA Z77 FTW or whatever its called XP )

Graphics Card (may be outdated):
EVGA 012-P3-2068-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 448 Cores Classified 1280Mb

Power Supply:
SILVERSTONE ST75F-P 750W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

CPU:
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

RAM:
G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2

Hard Drive:
Western Digital Caviar Black WDBAAZ0010HNC-NRSN 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
(May expand to 2TB)

Disk Drive:
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
(No Need for Blu Ray)

CPU Cooler (May Be Outdated):
Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Anti Static Wrist Band:
Rosewill RTK-002 Anti-Static Wrist Strap

Questions/Concerns:
-These parts are all compatible correct?
-Should I Purchase case fans, if so, which ones?

Thank you everyone in advance!
Old July 8, 2012, 09:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not sure if this is a gaming build or what your needs are, but I would downgrade the cpu to a 3570k and reallocate that ~100 dollars to the gpu right off the bat.

7950's go for about 300-330 new.
GTX 670's are about 400.

What about an SSD? Vertex3 or 4 drives are decent.
Old July 8, 2012, 10:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hi Dandelioneater,
This PC build will mainly be for video editing and some gaming (probably WOW, BF3) but at not that high of a resolution. I currently own a single monitor with a resolution of 1650X1050.
I want to keep my build under 1,500 US dollars possible 1,600.
Should i really downgrade the CPU?
Old July 8, 2012, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well since your resolution is 1650x1050, then the 7950 or 670 would be overkill for casual gaming at that resolution. I'd just go with the 560Ti if you can get it for a good price - maybe look for used.

Hyperthreading gives you about 15 percent more performance, which may be helpful for video editing. I still think any new system today should have an ssd for the OS. Then you can use hard drives for your scratch disks and storage.
Old July 8, 2012, 10:20 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

But the SSD would only be effective for boot up times or am i wrong? I honestly don't mind slow boot ups.
Old July 8, 2012, 11:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcWizTech View Post
Graphics Card (may be outdated):
EVGA 012-P3-2068-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 448 Cores Classified 1280Mb

Motherboard:
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
(Should i get this or the EVGA Z77 FTW or whatever its called XP )

CPU:
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Everything will work together except I have some reservations about these components price/performance+upgrade room wise. It would be very helpful to know your budget.

For the motherboard, there's no purpose getting a Z68 board for a 3770K unless you're running an older Linux or something else that won't be compatible. Also, why do you want Extended ATX if you're running one video card? Even if you're upgrading to 2 video cards (the most you'll want if you are running a 750W PSU) you could save a little AND get a newer chipset using a normal ATX Z77 board:
See:
Newegg.ca - ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.ca - ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Both come up cheaper at least on Newegg than your eATX Z68 board, and support PCI-E 3.0 16x or 8x/8x which won't bottleneck (noticeably) any modern video card including the GTX 690. If you want the red/black colours, there are a few AsRock Z77 boards styled that way, but I don't have enough experience with AsRock to recommend them.

Put the money from the motherboard change towards GPU or hard disk (mechanical or SSD).

I'm not sure what your exact task will be with video editing, but you might benefit from 16GB RAM over 8GB if you use a program that can't get enough RAM.
Old July 8, 2012, 11:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with dandelioneater. The first thing that you'll notice is boot up times BUT you'll notice that everything will be much more snappy and responsive slowly over day to day use. You'll only notice how slow hdd's are until you no longer have an ssd. Space will become an issue if you install a lot of games so you might want to buy a second drive in addition to the ssd and put the less played ones on it. Steam mover will be able to do this pretty easily

I agree with the downgrading to the 3570k since you'll most likely not need hyperthreading unless you're rendering/encoding blue ray rips/movies or something insane like that and the money is much better spent on a faster video card.

D14 is a good cooler and I have one too but if you are not paying the sale price ($50ish usually) you might be better off getting a sealed loop cooler like a Corsair H80 since it'd be in the same price range.

Also, I really hope you aren't paying this much for a motherboard Newegg.ca - ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard which is overkill to the extreme. While I don't feel comfortable making a suggestion for a motherboard as I'm not too familiar but even a p8z77v pro should be more than enough

If I were you, I'd also look into a new lcd before anything. There's really no point of splashing out so much for a system and not be able to utilize all that power (and get that ssd, don't be cheap!!!)

Edit:'d I type too slow

Old July 8, 2012, 02:43 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

While the processor and memory would affect te speed of something like video editing, the motherboard wouldn't. As such, why not look at something from the Asrock Z77 extreme line? Something around their Extreme4 or Extreme6 boards should be sufficient; if you use today's prices as an example, choosing the Asrock Extreme4 over the Maximus IV Extreme would net you almost $200 without losing much functionality.
Old July 9, 2012, 01:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As all those above say.. scrape a lil off your budget in some places and splash a lil in others.. Save on the CPU and Mobo, splash on ram (a bit) GPU and monitor.. possibly SSD if you can get there..

Monitor is a very good point..
A second-hand IPS would be a good option as it will offer you much better colour reproduction for your video stuff
Also 2 monitor set-up is very good for increasing productivity in video editing or even document creation (source and essay open at same time)

I suggest second hand IPS as it may bring the price into your range as new they are not cheap.

On the GPU, I would suggest going for a 570 or a 560ti.. 448's , unless you get a good deal just aren't worth the premium they hold IMO..
Hopefully the 660 will be out before you are ready to build but it has been VERY quiet for the past few weeks.

SSD's IMO are a luxury item... they do increase performance of the system (boot times and program load times) but should be the last thing people add if they are a bit tight on the budget.
That said, different people have different priorities when it comes to system performance and there is nout wrong with prioritizing it higher if those load times mean more to you.

Good luck with the new build.. Hope you enjoy it.
Old July 9, 2012, 10:25 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Alright everyone, I appreciate the feedback so i made some slight modifications:

Parts:
Case :COOLER MASTER HAF X RED

Motherboard:
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Graphics Card:
EVGA 025-P3-1579-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) HD 2560MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Power Supply:
SILVERSTONE ST75F-P 750W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

CPU:

RAM:
G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2

Hard Drive:
Western Digital Caviar Black WDBAAZ0010HNC-NRSN 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
(May expand to 2TB)

SSD:
Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Disk Drive:
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
(No Need for Blu Ray)

CPU Cooler (May Be Outdated):
Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Anti Static Wrist Band:
Rosewill RTK-002 Anti-Static Wrist Strap

Questions:
Is all of this okay? What about the graphics card? Should i change anything?
Thank you once again!