Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 9, 2012, 08:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

570 is a very solid choice.. However (at your resolution and even at 1920x1080) you really don't need the double ram.. Stick to the 1280MB one.. and watch for ANY news of the 660 being released before you buy.

If your getting an SSD you could save a bit by dropping the WD black for something a lil less expensive (as it's no longer going to be a boot drive) and re-invest those savings into either more space on the hdd or SSD.
if you don't install lots of large programs / games and use allot of media storage then the HDD is the better to expand.. if you do use a few big games regularly and or large programs/packages then I would use the saving to bump the SSD to 128GB

This will allow you to put in something cheaper (slower) for your media etc and hopefully spend about the same(ish)

you can still save more on the mobo and CPU... bout $150 if you go to a 3570k and a p8Z77 V pro (still good for ocing and all the same features of the z77 chipset)
Really unless your doing ALLOT of or LARGE renders then the difference to the 3770k is meh... you'll get PLENTY of performance with the 3570k
All that said this is my opinion.. tis your money.

If you don't go for a new monitor now.. seriously consider it for the next upgrade..

P.S. i hope that static strap is REALLY cheap.. cos there is really no need for it in a home build
just discharge yourself on a radiator or something before touching any parts and try not to do stuff that will generate static without discharging again... Only touch parts by the sides, try not to touch the flat of the PCB.
Old July 9, 2012, 09:11 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I recommend these LED strips instead. Oh look, it happens to be me that's selling them.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...tml#post533181

And no, boot up speed is not the only thing that you will notice. Any program you have installed on the SSD will run with no lag. You most likely never see the dreaded "Not Responding" ever again. Your programs will open right away and it's just a much better experience. These days, I don't think there's an excuse to not have an SSD, because you can always downgrade your CPU, GPU, or Motherboard or something for like 60 extra bucks.

My friend asked me for some help with his computer the other day, and he doesn't have an SSD. Huge huge huge huge huge difference. And it's not like he's using a slow HDD by any means. He was using a Caviar Black and first difference I could see is that opening programs like Chrome is noticably slower.
Old July 10, 2012, 11:51 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I think I'll stick with the 570 2gb because i might expand to a dual possibly triple monitor setup ( highly doubt three monitors). I may just save a little extra for a bigger SSD. Would a 120gb be enough for programs and bootsetup?
Edit: Is the GTX 570 model card a good choice? Are there better GTX 570 cards that i should choose instead?
Once again, a big thanks!

Last edited by PcWizTech; July 10, 2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old July 10, 2012, 01:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

120gb will be enough unless you want all your games and music/files on it, I am getting a 128gb soon and will be putting windows, battlefield 3(and origin since battlefield is my only origin game), skyrim, all of my little benchmarking/monitoring utilities, and iTunes on my ssd, and leaving the rest of my steam games On my hdd as well as moving my iTunes music folder there. On my laptop the only drive I have is a 128gb ssd and I only have a little more than half used and that's with all the applications I have on it as well as my music pictures and files
Old July 10, 2012, 01:43 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Sounds great! Can't wait until i get the money to finally purchase this baby. I'll keep an eye out for the 660. Thanks everyone and if you have any suggestions or comments please feel free to keep posting(:
Old July 10, 2012, 03:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Last suggestion, right before you buy when you get the cash, run it by us again and post the prices you're paying. Prices change pretty often so there's always the possibility of a better choice a month later or a better price match opportunity

Old July 10, 2012, 03:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Very good idea! Thank you Crossfire!
Old July 12, 2012, 12:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quick question,
apart from waiting to see if a 660 is released, are the other parts good?
-Can the PSU maintain all of that?
-is the cpu a good choice?
Thanks all, as i don't make much money, i'm REALLY hoping that this is as good as my money can buy.

Edit:
If the PSU is too much, should i purchase a 650w one?
Newegg.com - SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC F3)) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
I'm looking at the reviews of the current PSU i chose and it seems to have several faulty product reviews.

Last edited by PcWizTech; July 12, 2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old July 13, 2012, 03:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

650 should run it. If your looking to pinch the pennies a bit then there a couple of things you could save on..
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Semi Modular High Performance Power Supply
Will probably be more than enough for you.. not as good but $30 cheaper and a pretty solid unit.

Case, try a HAF 912 if you like the style of the HAF
Mobo, Sabertooth is an awesome board but probably more suited to enthusiasts who like to have the bes or those that want to get the max oc they can possibly get (without ultra expensive parts),
Worth looking at a P8Z77 V Pro (still Asus,) or the ASrock line of performance boards. They will be cheaper and probably give you as much performance as you'll ever need.
Old July 13, 2012, 04:40 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I really appreciate all of your advice but I'm sticking with everything I had picked. Te only think I could possibly change is the psu. I'm looking for a good one for about $150 ranging from 650-750w.
Thanks!