Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2012, 01:20 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default PSU Upgrade/Replacement

Hello everyone, i need to replace my PSU as it is making a lot of noise right now. I was thinking of upgrading it anyways so this will be my excuse .

I want to get a Corsair AX series but not sure which wattage. I currently have a OCZ 750 W, it has been running well ever since i got it and have have had no surges or problems other than the noise which i think is coming from the fan.

The difference between the AX650 and the AX850 is $50 at NCIX. Not sure if 650 would be too low or if it would be ok.

My system:
Gigabyte G1. Guerrilla Motherboard
Intel Core i7 960
12GB GSKill Sniper Ram
2x 120GB SSDs (No HDD)
2x ASUS GTX 560 Ti (SLI) --> (Hoping to upgrade to a GTX 670 in the near future)
onboard audio
LG DVD Drive
Old July 6, 2012, 01:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The AX650 will be enough as long as you're not doing anything extremely resource intensive. Otherwise the AX750 would be the better choice.

EDIT: quick price check and there aren't any good deals going on for the Corsair models, I'd just get the Seasonic equivalents. (only difference is the warranty, Seasonic makes almost all of the Corsair AX units) Or if you're OK with spending that much, go for a Platinum model.

Last edited by ilya; July 6, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old July 7, 2012, 12:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As said above get any of the seasonic based models, (XFX, Corsair and Antec all use Seasonic built stuff in SOME lines) or just a Seasonic but they tend to be more expensive.
I would say get a 750 watt but unless your stressing your system and overclocking it all then you should be fine with a 650 watt of this quality.

On the GPU.. unless it's for heat/noise reasons, you won't see all that much difference in 2 560ti's to a 670.. Wait 1 more gen IMO and then get the 670 equivalent.

I really hope you try overclocking etc and try find out if there is some other problem before you get set on an upgrade..
As I said.. I think your on the verge of upgrade territory but I would wait for 1 more generation of chips and cards if I was in your position.

Last edited by Dzzope; July 7, 2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old July 7, 2012, 07:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Actually, if I might first ask what power supply you are already using? How long have you had it, and have you been happy with it up to this point?
Old July 8, 2012, 11:15 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griezz View Post
Actually, if I might first ask what power supply you are already using? How long have you had it, and have you been happy with it up to this point?
HHHMMmmmmm.... :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryknw01 View Post
I currently have a OCZ 750 W, it has been running well ever since i got it and have have had no surges or problems other than the noise which i think is coming from the fan.
Old July 8, 2012, 03:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Somehow, I missed that line in the first message. :( Still, if noise is your primary concern, I can offer directions...
One reference for you is Recommended Power Supplies | silentpcreview.com - they recommend the Silverstone 650W (if you feel comfortable going a little lower in PSU output) or either a Corsair or Antec 850(if you would rather go higher for some reason).
Another source of data is Quiet Computers - End PC Noise Search Results it recommends the Nexus RX-8500 850 Watt 80-Plus 15dB Quiet Power Supply. I admit that I don't know anything of their brand, but I suspect you would pay a premium for silence.
Old July 12, 2012, 09:09 PM
Rookie

With those 2 cards in SLI I'd go with the AX850 to be on the safe side.
Old July 13, 2012, 12:08 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks everyone! i finally saw an AX850 on Sale for $175 so i jumped on it :D