Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 13, 2012, 11:43 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Personally I wouldn't bother upgrading the whole rig.. A GPU and SSD would make a world of difference to that rig. (256GB Vertex4 and a 660Ti or 670 would be my choices)
Okay, the 670 upgrade would probably be a given. Given the differences between it and the 5850, I could get a decent FPS boost even while usng ultra-high settings.

With the SSD, though, there are a few things I am wondering about...

With an SSD as a boot disk, just how big would I really need? Wouldn't I be putting just the most basic boot & startup functions on it, while temp files, caches and data files would get put onto the standard HDD? The reason I ask is that, I read correctly, SSD drives tend to degrade the more that you use them. So, if a drive is repeatedly accessed over and over, such as game temp files and caches, doesn't it speed up the degradation of the drive? (I understand that that is also why you would want to avoid defragging an SSD.)

So, if I'm just using the SSD for the main programs, I understand that a 90GB or 120GB should be sufficient, no?

Quote:
If you wanted, get a case and CPU cooler to allow for better cooling and then OC your 860.. (might be worth looking at PSU too but not absolutely necessary)
I'm still getting used to overclocking. If I understand it right, the system bus seems to be running at 133 MHz. The speed of the processor is obtained by using some multiplier of the system bus; thus the 2.8 GHz of the i7-860 would be calculated by "x" * 133. According to CPU-Z, my system is running at 22 * 133 or 2926 MHz; in doing so, the current Core Voltage is running at 1.08-1.10 volts. How high should I be able to get it?

Quote:
Though I'm not sure that the motherboard will really be up to it... Anyone know that board?
Not sure about the motherboard myself. The system is a name-brand Gateway FX6831. According to Gateway's support documents, the system is built on an Intel® H57 Express Chipset. Does that help?

Quote:
Still running a 950 myself.. absolutely no intention of upgrading for at least another 2 years or so depending on my needs and the way games go..
Generally, I do start looking at new systems after 2 years, when the majority of the warranties on my parts run out. However, I will admit that, for the most part, my current system works fine. The main issues would be the GPU, adding an SSD, and the possibility of overclocking.

Almost forgot... while my most advanced game graphically is Skyrim, I do occasionally play MMOs like WOW or TOR. As I understand it, in those cases, the limiter would not be the graphics card but rather the processor. In those cases, would I see a big difference going from a 2.8 GHz i7-860 to an i5-3570K, especially one that is overclocked? Or would a bigger difference be in transferring WOW's main game files to an SSD, leaving the caches on the HDD?
Old August 13, 2012, 01:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

With the prices of SSD's I'd go for a 256GB ssd and stick all your programs and games on it..
The degradation your talking about is no-where near what it used to be and the average user doesn't need to do it..

Something like a downloads folder where your doing allot of big writes on the other hand would be better off on a HDD..

I was pretty out of the game myself when the first round of i7's were release and really am not sure about that chipset.. there are others that would be much better to ask.

As for CPU for an mmo.. well it depends on each game but I don't think your really going to throttled by your CPU or not much (not worth the price of a new mobo and chip at least IMO)
Old August 13, 2012, 02:34 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

In truth, Dz, the main reason why I would be interestd in going for a new motehrboard is that higher capacities of USB 3.0 and maybe Thunderbolt. However, I suppose I should wait to see if their markets mature a little. I never saw FireWire as having much of an influence on PC equipment.