Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2012, 10:40 AM
Rookie

I'm building a highend mATX system myself (3770K/32GB RAM for 3D rendering), based on the V GENE board. I purchased the following case which has efficient airflow and is suitable for reasonable overclocking:

Silverstone Temjin TJ08B-E (currently $95.84 with free shipping at bestdirect.ca)
SPCR review

Based on the design of the case in which the motherboard sits upside-down, I decided to go with a tower air cooler because the case has a support arm on the bottom to help offset the weight. I picked up a discontinued HR-02 at Canada Computers.

I looked at pcpartpicker.com but cheaper prices can be found elsewhere. I use shopbot, pricebat, and google (Pages from Canada) to find deals and see past sales.
Old July 6, 2012, 11:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Get the Vertex 4. It's available for $119.99
Old July 6, 2012, 11:15 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Another thing, Bru... by going 2500k SB instad of 3570K IB, that means I give up using PCI Express 3.0, does it not? If my main focus is gaming, hw would that benefit me?
Old July 6, 2012, 12:03 PM
Rookie

PCIe 3.0 provides no discernable advantage over 2.0 for now and the near-future, except maybe in highend multi-GPU setups.

Choosing the 2500K over the 3570K comes down to the expectation that the 2500K will overclock quite a bit higher, otherwise the 3570K looks like the better buy IMO.

By the way, there's a great TJ08-E owner's thread at overclockers.net (page 12 shows the compromise with 3.5" HDD bays when using the biggest air coolers).

Regarding data configuration, you should keep caches/temp files on the SSD or you'd be negating one of the main benefits of SSDs. With wear-leveling, the SSD's write capacity will last many, many years unless you're writing 50+ GB per day. There are also caching programs to defer/reduce writes (FancyCache).

16GB of RAM should further reduce writes from pagefile usage.
Old July 6, 2012, 12:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
OK, Just to answer some of the questions about my points..

the board, the sabertooth is a damn fine board, but not really needed and Asus you pay a bit more for the name and service over the likes of gigabyte
(I still prefere asus, far too many problems in the past and still being reported from gigabyte users)
The P8z77 V pro would be my choice.
What about some of the other chipset boards? I did tend to assume Z77 was "latest & greatest", but what about the H77 boards? The P8H77V-LE seems to be equivalent to the Z77 version. Any real difference there?
Quote:
On the blu-ray.. if you do use them then by all means don't let me dissuade you.. But I generally find that the vast majority of people I know that get any kind of blu-ray device rarely if ever use them.
BTW, your HDTV is "standard" res these days.. I was talking more about the likes of an apple cinema display or the like (27" with 2560 by 1440 res or 30" with 2560 x 1600 res).
But as said.. If you use them.. :)
Except now we are talking about monitors worth twice the cost of the rest of the computer. No thanks.

Quote:
HDD, the WD greens are slow yes but I believe they are 7200 rpm and have been for some time (the speed is not determined mainly by rotational speed).. but if it's just for media and the like and you won't be storing games or programs on it then there is no issue.. If you were thinking of 2 WD blacks, consider instead the seagate 3TB drive (1TB per platter, faster than the old 10,000 rpm velociraptor WD have)
As a middle ground you could always go for a Blue series drive from WD.
P.s as far as I'm aware the longevity of SSD's is such now that you don't need to move cache folders off the ssd.. though things like download folders would be advisable. (correct me if I'm wrong here AKG)
Actually, the Caviar Greens are 5400, while the Blues and Blacks are 7200.
As for the brand... as I unstand it, there are reasons people seem to prefer WD over Seagat; however, the Seagate 3TB seems to be also listed at 7200, meaning that it shoud be slower than a VelociraptoSidenote: tom's hardware has an intersting set of articles about playing games on SSDs.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-ssd,3062.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ance,2991.html

Quote:
The ram... I have 6GB and never max it running similar to yourself.. (browser with min 12 tabs open, skype, live messenger, steam, origin, TS (and vent sometimes) as well as my game..[
There is nothing WRONG with getting more but really you won't go over 8GB and if you do you just get a second identical kit.
I will think about if. On a related note, if I did go for 8GB, does it matter if I go 2x4GB or 4x2GB?

Quote:
GPU, 670 is probably a little more power than you need right now.. but is cool, quiet and efficient.. great card to hold onto for a few yrs (gigabyte is by far the best value at the mo.)

As for price matching.. from what I've read here memoryexpress don't just match prices they will beat them... might save you the cost of shipping or even more.
Use every tool you can to find the cheap parts then submit them to 1 retailer that will match or beat those prices. really wish we had this service on this side of the pond. :(
What do you mean, "this side of the pond"? If you mean that you are in UK or AUS, then you are in luck. Go to the website at Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker and look to the drop-down menu in the upper right corner. Though it defaults to the US, you can set it so that it focuses on stores in the UK or AUS among other places.

Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker
Old July 7, 2012, 11:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You are looking to OC.. in which case the h77 won't.
For the 2500k you can go P67, z68 or z77.. for the 3570k you need z77 or certain z68's.

There are some differences between these.. the biggest being z77's pci-E 3.0 (as said above, this isn't an issue till you get to 3 or 4 680's performance levels.. but in a 2 or 3 generations who knows where we will be at)
native USB 3 and more (generally) sata 3 ports than the others.. z68 (apart from supporting ivy chips after bios update) give hdd caching and the ability to use the IGP(not needed really in either case, main points only there are more)

Stick to the z77 and 3570k IMO (prices are negligible in difference)

The high end monitors I was talking about is where you will see the difference between dvd and blu-ray (or really see it) I wasn't suggesting you get one (though the korean ips's are cheap and same as the 27" I mentioned, $400 delivered)

The WD Green.. they are listed now as "intellipower" for spin speed... meaning that they are variable... but they do go to 7200 rpm (had this discussion with someone before and found a page on WD site that said as such, can't find it now)
The point is RPM of a hdd is NOT the ultimate deciding factor in speed.
The WD black is faster than the last generation of raptors and the seagate is faster again... it's more to do with data density on the disks and other operations of the drive than the spindle speed.

Not really (RAM) BUT I would stick to 2x4GB.. 4x2GB sticks is just limiting the slots you have available and I can't see you saving all that much.

yes the UK (actually Ireland but I buy all my parts from UK)..
I may be able to pick the cheapest parts with that tool but no retailer here (actually at home, currently living in Kiev) offers a price match/beat service.
Old July 7, 2012, 07:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Okay, folks, a few updates...

- Once again, I am looking at a new motherboard. However, for once, I am looking outside of the ASUS brand. See, after seeing that the Sabretooth Z77 might be unnecessary for my needs, I was looking at the ASUS H8Z77V-LK motehrboard. However, a message from my contact at NCIX explained that that board might not be suitable for much overclocking, despite being a Z77. Instead, he recommended looking at Gigabyte or Asrock, specifially the Pro or Extreme versions. Now... I had already heard stories about Gigabyte motherboards, enough that I wasn't big on them, but I hadn't heard much of Asrock. Looking up the Asrock boards, I found a comparison that was done by Tom's HArdware, looking at various Z77 motherboards. I was surprised to see that the Asrock Z77 Extreme6 actually outshone the ASUS board on a number of tests. Through further consideration of Asrock's many Z77 variants, I Was able to whittle it down to the Extreme6 and the Extreme4. Finally, I fgured that the Extreme4 would be hte one that best suited my immediate and near future needs. Bonus: it turns out that NCIX is selling the EXTREME4 at almost exactly the same price as the ASUS Z77 LK, so that was helpful.

- On the matter of hard drives, after reading the articles that y'all linked above about SSD drives, and how it would be best to store the caches of games and other applications on the HDD, as opposed to the SSD, I decided that it might be best to go for something like the HD Caviar Black after all. However... while doing the above-mentioned search on Tom's Hardware, I found an old report comparing various 1TB and 2TB HDDs, and it turns out that the Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.D actually outperforms the WD Caviar Black in some tests, while still saving me a few bucks. So, unless anyone has a problem with Hitachi, I'll be going with one of their hard drives. (1TB should be sufficient - I've decided to skip the RAID after all.)

- Finally, due to a warning from my NCIX contact, the Corsair RAM has been changed to their Low Profile model.

As such, my proposed build has been updated to the following...

CPU - Intel i5-3570K
Cooler - Noctua NH-D14
Motherboard - Asrock Z77 Extreme4 ATX motherboard
Memory - Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB 4x4GB DDR3-1600
SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
HDD - Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.D 1TB HDD
Video card - Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
Optical - ASUS BC-12B1ST Blu-ray drive
Case - Fractal Design Arc Midi case
Power - Seasonic 620W M12II Bronze
O/S - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Any new reactions?
Old July 7, 2012, 07:29 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

And, yes, I know I only need 8 GB of RAM right now, but I like insurance. :)
Old August 12, 2012, 11:32 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Okay, I have pretty much settled on the kind of system that I would be looking at now; however, I am also now looking at just what I can salvage from my current system which would be worth keeping. Current system specs listed to the right.

Given that my most advanced game right now would be Skyrim, and that my maximum monitor resolution is 1920x1080, how much of an improvement would I see by setting Skyrim to Ultra-High levels, going from my current HD5850 to, say, a GTX670? How much of a change would I see going from 16 GB of DDR3-1333 to DDR3-1600? And what about going from an Intel i7-860 to an i5-3570k overclocked to 4.2GHz?
Old August 13, 2012, 06:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Personally I wouldn't bother upgrading the whole rig.. A GPU and SSD would make a world of difference to that rig. (256GB Vertex4 and a 660Ti or 670 would be my choices)

If you wanted, get a case and CPU cooler to allow for better cooling and then OC your 860.. (might be worth looking at PSU too but not absolutely necessary)
Though I'm not sure that the motherboard will really be up to it... Anyone know that board?

Still running a 950 myself.. absolutely no intention of upgrading for at least another 2 years or so depending on my needs and the way games go..

Last edited by Dzzope; August 13, 2012 at 06:07 AM.