Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5, 2012, 06:46 AM
Rookie

Default Need peer review of my build

Hello fellow canucks,

After collecting information and data I've decided on a build (and replaced the content of my original post). I would greatly appreciate input on my new build as well as any potential problems I may encounter.

Buying:

CPU: i5-3570k
CPU Cooler:Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: Z77 Sabertooth
GPU: GTX 670
Case: Case

Already Owned:

RAM: GSKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) (I have 2 sets with one dead stick)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W

Thanks for your time and input!

- Kara

Last edited by Kara; July 5, 2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Decided on a build and want input, decided not to create another thread
Old July 5, 2012, 06:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Just going to go in about the RAM. Hopefully you are running a 64 bit version of Windows, seeing as you won't be able to access/see more then about 3.3GB (the rest gets reserved for system resources up to 4GB total) due to the addressing limitation of 32bit.
Old July 5, 2012, 08:10 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I would hold on to the 1055T as long as you can its a decent chip and no reason to go to BD only thing I may replace would be the GFX card , I personally wait for a few gens before I drop a chunk of cash to upgrade my cards and your at about that point .

I have no reason to upgrade every time to the next card and see no benefit unless a game comes out that makes my GFX cards strain , the rest of you system looks fine .
Old July 5, 2012, 08:19 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodystumps View Post
I would hold on to the 1055T as long as you can its a decent chip and no reason to go to BD only thing I may replace would be the GFX card , I personally wait for a few gens before I drop a chunk of cash to upgrade my cards and your at about that point .

I have no reason to upgrade every time to the next card and see no benefit unless a game comes out that makes my GFX cards strain , the rest of you system looks fine .
While playing games my GPU usage floats around 50-80% with occasional spikes to 99%, is this in anyway indicative of CPU bottlenecking?

The main reason I'm considering a new GPU (and all the upgrades to support it) is because I find my 5870 runs hot (~71 C) on average-high settings. Ideally I'd like my GPU to sit around 60 C or less on high settings, my case is fairly large and has 4 large fans (180mm I think?) so I don't think cooling is an issue.
Old July 5, 2012, 08:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodystumps View Post

Disagree with the above (on the GPU) totally.. a 5870 has plenty of power for your resolution, no need to upgrade unless your looking for power and heat benifits.. in which case I would wait for a 660 or even 650..

First thing I would upgrade would be the monitor... a nice 24" IPS would make a HUGE difference.

If you do then yes it's worth the jump to a 670.. if not then your wasting money.

PSU isn't the best but is fine.

CPU is fine too.. In games which are CPU dependant you will see some difference (to an intel sandy or ivy chip) but not to any amd chip..
Intel i7-3770K Ivy Bridge CPU Review
look at second page for cpu heavy games.

the ram you want in pairs.. 4GB is bare minimum I would use in a gaming rig these days, ideally 8GB. (3 sticks was for the first generation of i7's, ie the i7 920 etc)
if you want more try find a single stick the same as you have or alternatively try sell your current ram for a 2x4GB pair (assuming your board will take 4GB modules)

Last edited by Dzzope; July 5, 2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old July 5, 2012, 08:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara View Post
While playing games my GPU usage floats around 50-80% with occasional spikes to 99%, is this in anyway indicative of CPU bottlenecking?

The main reason I'm considering a new GPU (and all the upgrades to support it) is because I find my 5870 runs hot (~71 C) on average-high settings. Ideally I'd like my GPU to sit around 60 C or less on high settings, my case is fairly large and has 4 large fans (180mm I think?) so I don't think cooling is an issue.
Have you over-clocked the CPU?
Also really depends on the games you are playing..
Really if your changing cpu and motherboard then a z77 and i53570k is your best option for upgrade.. the AMD side is so far behind these last few generations they aren't even able to see the dust from Intel.

Those spikes are very strange and may indicate a problem, maybe virus or something else.. Worth a check, may help and doesn't cost.. If caused by the game then yes you are being at least occasionally bottlenecked by the cpu. Intel chip is only real benefit you'll see.

Try giving the GPU a good clean.. the fan and heatsink could simply be covered in dust.. After cleaning my old 560ti I saw an 8 to 12c drop in temps (did clean the rest of the case out too)
71c is nothing to worry about anyway.
The position of the fans are more important than their size..
Do you know the model of case you have.. have you got a fan on the side-panel facing the GPU? this will make a difference.

Last edited by Dzzope; July 5, 2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old July 5, 2012, 09:10 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

the max temp for that card is 90 the average should be 70 -80 .

Dezzop I said "I may" I didn't say I would . Like I said I don't like to just throw money away I usually wait quit a while before I upgrade .
Old July 5, 2012, 09:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Think you cought me wrong.. I was disagreeing with that his card is at the upgrade point...
if he was playing 1920x1080 I would say he was about there but not at his current res.

Sorry if it sounded like I was bashing. :)
Old July 5, 2012, 09:24 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Also really depends on the games you are playing..
Really if your changing cpu and motherboard then a z77 and i53570k is your best option for upgrade.. the AMD side is so far behind these last few generations they aren't even able to see the dust from Intel.
Primarily playing Final Fantasy XIV, the game engine isn't well written and consumes lots of resources needlessly, alongside other newer titles such as Diablo 3, Skyrim, etc...

So you recommend going the Intel route? I avoided Intel CPUs originally because of their relatively high prices (compared to AMD anyways). Also, I'm finding that quite a few people claim a Phenom II X6 1100T will barely bottleneck a GTX 670, what are your thoughts?

Quote:
Try giving the GPU a good clean.. the fan and heatsink could simply be covered in dust.. After cleaning my old 560ti I saw an 8 to 12c drop in temps (did clean the rest of the case out too)
71c is nothing to worry about anyway.
Will try this, thanks for the tip! What temperatures should I start to worry about? For GPUs I've read that 80 C is bordering the safe temperature threshold.

Quote:
The position of the fans are more important than their size..
Do you know the model of case you have.. have you got a fan on the side-panel facing the GPU? this will make a difference.
My case. I will probably buy the larger case regardless, more fans, better airflow, and more room.

Quote:
Those spikes are very strange and may indicate a problem, maybe virus or something else.. Worth a check, may help and doesn't cost.. If caused by the game then yes you are being at least occasionally bottlenecked by the cpu. Intel chip is only real benefit you'll see.
I haven't delved into overclocking at all and I'd like to avoid it due to all the testing, experimenting, and knowledge needed to get it right and stable. As mentioned above, very likely it's the game's doing since everything else runs smoothly on my rig.

If Intel is the way to go would you mind helping me pick out a CPU and mobo? My Intel knowledge is outdated at this point.
Old July 5, 2012, 09:26 AM
Rookie

I'd also like to mention that I plan on getting a better monitor and cranking the res up to 1080p for a better experience and to transfer a bit of work from CPU to GPU.

Tags
advice , gaming rig , new build , overhaul , upgrade