Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5, 2012, 09:29 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Dzzope LOL dang I miss what his res was , I didn't think anybody ran anything lower then 1920 x1080 .
NP I didn't take it as bashing but thanks :)
Old July 5, 2012, 09:52 AM
Rookie

For an i5-3570k,

Mobo #1
Mobo #2

I prefer #1 because it's an ASUS (and I like ASUS) and it's cheaper. Whats the difference and/or pros and cons of each mobo? What would you recommend?

Thanks,

- Kara
Old July 5, 2012, 05:47 PM
Rookie

Imo id get 8gb ram at least. I mean you can pick up g.skill 1600 4gbx2 for like 40$ nowadays.

also get the asus, seems like a better deal and board.

Last edited by Arinoth; July 6, 2012 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Double post
Old July 5, 2012, 07:06 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara View Post
For an i5-3570k,

Mobo #1
Mobo #2

I prefer #1 because it's an ASUS (and I like ASUS) and it's cheaper. Whats the difference and/or pros and cons of each mobo? What would you recommend?

Thanks,

- Kara
Just a quick note... aside from the usual bells and whistles that each brand has for their own motherboards, there are a few differences...

ECS: candle handle higher-overclocked memory, has connections for more 6 Gb/s hard drives

ASUS: has PS/2 connections for mouse & keyboard (in case you're not using USB versions), has more connections on the motherboard for USB ports (in case you wanted to add more ports to your system either on the back or on your case)

Personally, I'd go for the ASUS, mainly for the reputation as a good stable platform. ECS has been around for a while, so they must be good, but ASUS is still the "Coke" to ECS' "RC Cola".

Quote:
Hello fellow canucks,

After collecting information and data I've decided on a build (and replaced the content of my original post). I would greatly appreciate input on my new build as well as any potential problems I may encounter.

Buying:

CPU: i5-3570k
CPU Cooler:Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: Z77 Sabertooth
GPU: GTX 670
Case: Case

Already Owned:

RAM: GSKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) (I have 2 sets with one dead stick)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W

Thanks for your time and input!

- Kara
Kara, I couldn't help but notice that you left out two, possibly three, major system parts out of your build.
1) Operating system (but if you already have a full copy, then you're ok)
2) Optical drive (most people would have a DVD drive or DVD burner in order to install stuff)
3) Most importantly.. where's the hard drive? Can't have a computer nowadays without at least one built-in hard drive.

Last edited by Arinoth; July 6, 2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old July 5, 2012, 07:58 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griezz View Post
Kara, I couldn't help but notice that you left out two, possibly three, major system parts out of your build.
1) Operating system (but if you already have a full copy, then you're ok)
2) Optical drive (most people would have a DVD drive or DVD burner in order to install stuff)
3) Most importantly.. where's the hard drive? Can't have a computer nowadays without at least one built-in hard drive.
Ah yes, good point! Some of the details from my original post have gotten lost, I'll be running Win7 64-bit and reusing my HDD and optical drive from my older rig (until I have more funds to get better ones).
Old July 5, 2012, 11:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

There is one change I would suggest: switch the planned CPU cooler to a Corsair Hydro series water cooler system (if you are comfortable with adding a water cooler) or to a Noctua double-fan cooler like the NH-D14 (if you'd rather avoid water cooling).
Old July 6, 2012, 12:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Primarily playing Final Fantasy XIV, the game engine isn't well written and consumes lots of resources needlessly, alongside other newer titles such as Diablo 3, Skyrim, etc...

So you recommend going the Intel route? I avoided Intel CPUs originally because of their relatively high prices (compared to AMD anyways). Also, I'm finding that quite a few people claim a Phenom II X6 1100T will barely bottleneck a GTX 670, what are your thoughts?
If you really feel you need the extra CPU power then yes Intel is king.
There is nout wrong with the chip you have (especially at the price) BUT as you see from the charts the intels kick them up and down the place. mainly because the vast majority of games will only use 1 or 2 cores and intel has much much better single thread performance.

Quote:
Will try this, thanks for the tip! What temperatures should I start to worry about? For GPUs I've read that 80 C is bordering the safe temperature threshold.
Look for an overclocking guide. Should be some here (in the overclocking section) or youtube or on other forums.

Quote:
My case. I will probably buy the larger case regardless, more fans, better airflow, and more room.
Thats the CM 690, similar or same as I have and should be absolutely fine, adding a few more fans would help.. if I recall right they take a 120mm fan on the side.

Quote:
I haven't delved into overclocking at all and I'd like to avoid it due to all the testing, experimenting, and knowledge needed to get it right and stable. As mentioned above, very likely it's the game's doing since everything else runs smoothly on my rig.
It's not all that hard. Really you don't need to push the limits (which is where you need all the testing etc) find a sensible level around the average or slightly lower than the guides say, start a lil lower and run a stress-test. If it's stable after a while but you want more, bump the settings and stress it again.. when your happy with the performance bump and the system is stable stop.
Have you got an after-market cooler or is it one that came with the chip?

Quote:
If Intel is the way to go would you mind helping me pick out a CPU and mobo? My Intel knowledge is outdated at this point.
I would suggest going for a pro board rather than the lk, tis a bit more but is better at overclocking etc.
(If you do go for a new build)

First I would suggest you try overclocking your current chip as I think your right on the border of upgrade territory.
If I were you I would wait for haswell to come out and see what that brings. At worst you can pick up a bargain sandy or ivy build second hand from someone that has the upgrade bug. it will be another year but IMO you should be good till then at least.
This is opinion though and your the one who has to live with the build and spend or save the cash.
As said, my opinion is that your right on the line of upgrade or not, even with a new monitor (at 1920x1080)

Last edited by Dzzope; July 6, 2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old July 6, 2012, 12:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griezz View Post
There is one change I would suggest: switch the planned CPU cooler to a Corsair Hydro series water cooler system (if you are comfortable with adding a water cooler) or to a Noctua double-fan cooler like the NH-D14 (if you'd rather avoid water cooling).
The cooler is fine especially for the price.
The suggestions above WILL give you cooler running but at a higher price-point. they are not needed but not a bad investment either. (H60 if going for the hydro)
Old July 6, 2012, 04:20 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Pc gaming has pretty much all but bleed out and that 1050T will run any game out today and for sometime to come , just crankin it up till the magic smoke comes out and back it off a notch then run it till it starts to stagger at some of the new games (if any make it to this platform ever again) .
Old July 6, 2012, 01:37 PM
Rookie

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I will have to do some experimenting as well.

Just one last thing... I wanted to know if the Z77 Sabertooth is a good mobo (seems so) but I'd like your opinions. Also, any suggestions for RAM? Or is the current RAM good enough?

Tags
advice , gaming rig , new build , overhaul , upgrade