Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23, 2012, 11:16 PM
Rookie

Default Advice on New IB SLi Build

New to the forums here :D

I've been slowly buying the parts for my latest build over the last 2 months or so when the Ivybridges got released, but I'm still missing a few items for a complete system. I'm a bit undecided on a few parts, or just getting tired of waiting haha.

Bought so far:

3770k (Got lucky with this chip, managed to push 4.6GHz on 1.1v (55C Prime95), 4.8 on 1.165v (~63 prime95) and 5 on 1.3v(~77 prime95) using a Maximus 5 Gene I had for a week or so)
32 GB DDR3-2400 G.Skill TridentX
2x GTX680 Asus DC2T (3 slot cooler, which is why I had to get rid of the Gene)
Seasonic Platinum 1000W
Corsair H100 (Had it from my previous i7 920 build, I will most likely be replacing it with a real loop some time in the future)
CM Storm Trooper case
Logitech G19, Razer Naga Epic (leftovers from my current build of course)

What I still Need:

Motherboard: I'm leaning heavily towards another Asus RoG board because of how good the MVGene was in the short time I had it. The only problem with the Gene was the mATX layout and the 2 PCIE slots being too close together for SLIing the cards I have. It also looked kinda silly in my case since it only took up a small portion of such a big case haha. I've been waiting for either the Maximus 5 Formula or Extreme to come out and get one of those depending on the price. But I've been getting fairly impatient lately because I've had all these parts sitting here and no board to use them on lol. I sold my old system too so I'm stuck without a gaming PC til I can get it. The waiting is making me consider buying a different board, so I've been browsing a few of the gigabyte and asrock ones.
The EVGA Z77 FTW board just came out recently and the features on that look pretty nice, and it follows the black/red colour scheme I was going for. I heard some bad things about the last generation of EVGA boards though, so I'm a bit sceptical about getting one with hardly any reviews out on it yet. Not sure I want to be one of the early adopters of a board that turns out bad.
I haven't seen any comparisons on performance with pcie3.0 8x/8x vs 16x/16x(via PLX chip) yet so I'm not sure if I really want/need one of the boards that have a PLX chip for 3way or quad sli for just 2 cards, does the plx chip increase the response time like the old chips on the z68s? I probably won't be going with a dedicated sound card because I run a USB headset most of the time anyways, so I won't need an open pcie lane for that.

SSD: I'm looking for a 240/256GB SSD that will give me the best read performance in the 200-350 dollar range, I've been looking at the Samsung 830 but haven't found a retailer in the GTA that carries it. Also looking at the Vertex4 and the CrucialM4, but I can't really decide on which would be best. I might get 2 to run raid0 now that the intel raid supports TRIM (I think?).
I'll be running 3 additional 2TB Caviar Blacks as storage drives.

Monitors: I'm looking to setup a 3 monitor surround 57x12 or 57x1080 if there aren't any 16:10s in my price range. I haven't really been keeping up to date on monitors lately since I wasn't in the market for one. I'm looking for something in the 250-350 range (each) that has good response times and (fairly) accurate colour reproduction and image quality. I do a lot of modelling/rendering and digital artwork, so I don't want something terrible, but I have 2 good IPS panels at work so I'm not terribly concerned about it. I'm pretty sensitive to differences in brightness and colour variations, so a screen that has uniform back lighting and colour would be best. But this will be mainly for gaming anyway, so a faster monitor would be preferred over a slower but better looking monitor within the same price range.

Not sure if there's anything else I'm forgetting, but with all these parts sitting here and being stuck on a laptop I've been getting a bit impatient to get this all up and running :(

Canada Computers and NCIX listed the MVFormula up for preorder, but they have no idea when they will actually be getting them in :/ I'm not sure if either are tier 1 retailers that will get them at launch so I don't want to order it right away in case they don't get it and I need to go with newegg or amazon
Old June 24, 2012, 12:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Z77 Sabertooth? definitely not red/black but a damn good board.

intel 520 240GB SSD? best warranty and one of (if not the) best drives out there (also their toolbox is great for getting the drive back to clean state)

the cheaper IPS 24" panels are 1920x1200 but tn panels are all 1080 (unless you go 27" and then there is 1920x1200 in TN)
Ips are pretty quick these days (still not as fast as tn but much much faster than they were)
I'd try go for an IPS in the middle and a TN either side (same brand and style, gives better colour on the screen you look at most and the cost down on the other 2, Dell would be decent option for this..)
Old June 24, 2012, 04:55 AM
MVP

If you want red and bang for buck/premium (2 things that usually never go together) take a look at the Asrock Z77 Fatality professional board, on paper that thing is currently the best overclocking board for IB!
And you get that red/black color scheme you wanted!

For screens I actually would suggest EBAY...more specifically the Q270 (search it up on ebay they go for 280$ and IMO worth every penny). If you don't trust a korean import on ebay then NCIX has the ASUS 24" IPS on sale atm for 220$ and they are pretty kick ass too.

For SSD the intel 520 or Kingston HyperX (could look at the OCZ vertex but I personally wouldnt touch OCZ with a 10foot pole)...

Last edited by BrutalGreen; June 24, 2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old June 24, 2012, 11:26 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalGreen View Post
If you want red and bang for buck/premium (2 things that usually never go together) take a look at the Asrock Z77 Fatality professional board, on paper that thing is currently the best overclocking board for IB!
And you get that red/black color scheme you wanted!

For screens I actually would suggest EBAY...more specifically the Q270 (search it up on ebay they go for 280$ and IMO worth every penny). If you don't trust a korean import on ebay then NCIX has the ASUS 24" IPS on sale atm for 220$ and they are pretty kick ass too.

For SSD the intel 520 or Kingston HyperX (could look at the OCZ vertex but I personally wouldnt touch OCZ with a 10foot pole)...
Wow that price is amazing for a 25x14 IPS. How is the build quality on those? Also, which variant would you recommend? The Q270 SE seems to be the cheapest, but what is the difference with the Tempered Glass, or Pixel Perfect model? 289.99 for a 2560x1440 27" just seems too good haha.

It only has a DVI-D input, which means I'd only be able to use 1 per video card (I think?) since the Asus DC2T680 only has 1 DVI-D output (and a DVI-I)

Now another problem comes up lol, will I be able to run 7680x1440 with decent FPS with only 2 GTX680s... Might have to go 3way in the future Damn you for showing me a good monitor for that price...
Old June 24, 2012, 10:33 PM
Rookie

I thought I posted a reply earlier, but I guess it didn't go through...

That Q270 Catleap monitor looks amazing for the price, how is the build quality on them? Been reading around and I guess people have mostly been having positive experiences, other than a few people getting a bunch of dead pixels and not able to ship it back for RMA because its in korea. I doubt I'll be able to run a Triple setup with that (7680x1440) with decent FPS in BF3 and such with just two GTX680s though, so I might have to increase the budget for my system again

What's wrong with OCZ drives? I'm coming from an Agility3 120gb which ran reliably for me, and reading the reviews and benchmarks for the new vertex4s make them seem like one of the best performing drives when it comes to real world applications (they didn't do all that well with the synthetic read benchmarks)

And I think I've decided to wait for the Maximus V Formula, or possibly Extreme since a 3rd 680 might be joining my 2 because of those monitors (damn why'd you have to tell me about them haha)

I'll probably also need a new desk to fit 3 27"ers... why do builds always start off simple and just start spiralling way out of hand?
Old June 26, 2012, 03:54 PM
Rookie

Smile

Went with the Vertex4 256GB since there's a sale on for them @239.99 and that price is hard to beat considering how they perform.

Ended up ordering one of those Q270 SE Catleaps, I'll see how it turns out before I order any more, should be getting here on thursday if all goes well with the shipping.

Pretty much everything is here :D Still need the motherboard of course, so just waiting for stores to get stock of the Maximus V Formula.

Old June 26, 2012, 11:51 PM
Rookie

I have the Catleap Q270. The build quality is ok. The stand is horrible. But the most important thing is the panel and it's amazing if you get one without bad pixels. The zero dead pixel guarantee is a scam. It's all luck of the draw. I think it's worth the risk given the price and the chance of getting a good panel seems pretty good.
Old June 28, 2012, 01:23 PM
Rookie

Wow that was fast for something coming from the other side of the world...

Look what just came in the mail :D

Can't hook it up to test for dead pixels yet since my laptop doesn't have a dual link dvi-d out :( hopefully it turns out perfect
Old June 28, 2012, 03:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

what are those round metal things on the floor? they look very strange...
Old June 28, 2012, 03:44 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirerogue View Post
what are those round metal things on the floor? they look very strange...
some weights :P I guess they are quite rare amongst the enthusiast PC community (or the angle in the picture was weird and you couldn't see em lol)

But yeah... Got an offer to trade my 3770K for a 3930K, so I might actually end up going down that route, with a rampage 4 extreme, for some better SLI performance since I'm already going with some pricey equipment, might as well go all the way.

Just need to figure out what to do with the RAM, pretty sure X79s don't like faster Trident X sticks.