Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22, 2012, 11:31 AM
Rookie

Default First PC Build

Hello HWC, I want some reviews and comments about my first PC Build. I have posted a question on the NCIX website but haven't got a reply yet so I decided to ask here.

The computer will mainly be used for general-use purposed, such as browsing the web, watching videos, flash games etc. It WILL however be used for photo-editing, possibly video editing, 3D-modelling and programming (various languages).

My budget is about £300-400 GBP, and I'm currently getting all the parts from Amazon (with the exception of the OS from another website, but that's not hardware). As you saw the £ refers to me being in the UK and buying from amazon.co.uk

I assume I would be a AMD-ATI fanboy (didn't AMD recently buy ATI?). I will be re-using some old items from my current (old) system; a 1280 x 1050 VGA monitor (only supports VGA :S), a Win Vista Home Premium OS (in a 500GB 7200 RPM HDD), a wired PS2 keyboard and a wired USB mouse (I also have a USB keyboard and PS2 mouse available).

I do NOT plan on over-clocking (although it may happen, very unlikely atm since I'm not gaming). I plan to get it within the next week or two, and definitely building it after one week from now (or as soon as it all arrives). The second hard-drive (the one i'm buying) is to be used in RAID 1 with my current one, I will clone the contents after Win 7 (with all previous data restored) is installed.

Here's my current list of parts (of the new system):
AMD HDZ965FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 965 - 3.4 Ghz AM3 Black Edition CPU, Retail Packaged
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Two Module Kit
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard (Socket AM3+, Up to 16GB DDR3, USB 3.0, uATX)
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler
Sony AD-5280S-0B DVD±RW 24x SATA Drive with Dust Protected Enclosure and Emergency Eject
Inwin EM009 Micro ATX Case with No PSU - Black/Silver
Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2UK Builder Series 600W Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATAIII 6Gb/s 16MB Cache 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive OEM
Arctic Silver Artic Silver 5 3.5g Thermo Paste Syringe

I'm not a complete newb to computers (the HW) but this is my first build, so please help out a new guy :)

(Also please notify me of any compatibility issues, as I have checked through many of the parts but I might have missed something).

Note: I assume I'm allowed to post links, sorry if I'm not allowed. I will remove them if requested.