Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Switch Compatability: DELL & NZXT (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/54971-switch-compatability-dell-nzxt.html)

anotherwan June 22, 2012 09:58 AM

Switch Compatability: DELL & NZXT

The problem I have is kinda complicated because it concerns this specific product:

I currently own a DELL Inspiron 620s Slimtower.

I wish to transfer all of its contents and hardware into a bigger case: the NZXT Phantom Full Tower case.

Is this possible?

If not, what would I need to do to make this transition possible?

I'd really appreciate it if I could have a detailed answer on this. Like what kind of issues would I run into, if I should buy a new motherboard or not, what kind of hardware can i keep and what kind should I abandon when making this switch, etc...

Lpfan4ever June 22, 2012 10:04 AM

Main problem looks to be the power supply. A quick Google search looks like the motherboard in your Dell isn't proprietary (mATX it seems), so you should be able to get a new PSU and then transfer everything over.

Pabz0r545 June 22, 2012 10:48 AM

Just a heads up I just disassembled a Dell XPS 720 that a friend gave to me. The system is only able to be powered by a dell PSU as the power ports on the motherboard are specific to the dell PSU. Make sure that is not the case with yours before you go buy one.

anotherwan June 22, 2012 05:33 PM

I wish I had more info about the motherboard without having to pry this open, but so far there's been little info online.

I've been asking the same question on other forums, and it would seem that their main concern would be the motherboard and power supply.

I did find out that the Inspiron 620s Slimtower uses 250 watt whereas the NZXT Phantom requires a 500 watt, so that's useful to know.

So far I may need to consider buying a new motherboard and power supply in order for it to be compatible with the mentioned case.

Basically I'm not just looking to move its contents, but I'm looking to have a set up that's easily upgradable. If too many things are proprietary within the 620s, I may have to consider buying new hardware.

But that's what this forum's for - if I can do that as less as possible would be good, too.

XNine June 25, 2012 04:36 PM

Why does the NZXT Phantom require a 500watt PSU? IT's just a case.

Lucasrivers June 28, 2012 03:13 PM

Hey,

The case doesn't require a 500W PSU, i'm going to take it that it comes with one. as long as the motherboard uses a standard 20/24 pin connection you should be fine. now as far as using the PSU thats included with the DELL system as long as its not a slim/small form-factor PSU it should fit into the new case fine.

The parts in the DELL system you have may be made for that dell case only, you will want to check all of the before hand. The MB could use a DELL layout as far as the placement of the screw holes so again just check everything before hand.

Good luck