Gaming Rig Overhaul
I am planning on overhauling my gaming rig. Currently running an i7 920, HD6950 6GB RAM.
I am planning on tearing the guts out and getting new ones.
What I am planning to buy:
- Motherboard and CPU: prefer Intel. Not sure whether 1155 or 2011. Not even sure whether i5 or i7. Was considering i7 3770K. i5 3570K is also not bad. Is there something from AMD to consider?
- RAM: want at least 8GB. Kingston HyprX, Corsair Vengence, not sure. Prices are good so I am flexible.
- GPU: I am deciding between 7970 or 680. 680 will cost about little more, but performance might be worth it.
- SSD: So far I've decided on the Crucial m4 128GB. Seems like a solid choice.
- Monitor: Considering the Asus PA238Q from Futureshop. I have a gift-card from Futureshop, so I think that monitor is a good choice. Looking at 23, max 24 inch monitors.
So my main concern is which platform to start with. 1155 or 2011? Maybe AMD?
My budget is about $1200 to $1400. I don't need the case, HDD, PSU, OS, ODD since I am keeping those.
I'd go with the 2011 platform, a couple extra features and native support for ivy bridge (1155 requires a bios update) and I would go for the i5 to save some cash because hyperthreading doesn't do anything for almost all games in performance.
Buy Intel [BX80637I53570K] Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail
Buy ASUS [P8Z77-V Pro] ASUS P8Z77-V Pro LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 SLI 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SATA3 DisplayPort USB3.0 Motherboard
Ram honestly on whatever day you are buying pick up the cheapest 1600mhz cl9 1.5v ram (maybe $40-45)
680, more performance less power consumption easy decision.
Buy Gigabyte [GV-N680OC-2GD] Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 OC 1071MHZ 2GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card
Crucial m4 is a great drive, intel is better but also way more expensive.
Crucial M4 2.5in SATA III Solid State Drive, 128GB at Memory Express
Comes to about $1120 before tax, the extra room you can use for your monitor... Don't forget you can price match at futureshop too I can't find that monitor on futureshop's website but other online dealers have it for ~$250
Edit: You could go for a cheaper mobo but that one is in a pretty god price/performance range.
Yea, the i5 will be better value, and the saved money I will spend on the 680.
The monitor I was referring to was: ASUS 23" IPS LCD Monitor with 6ms Response Time : 22" - 23" Monitors - Future Shop
I have gift card which I can use to get this, so price is no problem. I can price match when I receive the monitor.
JJThomp has it right.
2011/i5 on that budget. Get the 680, AMD is more glitchy right now with respect to hardware. Consider the intel SSD but there is nothing wrong with crucial. Asus monitors are fine.
Hmm, I can't put a i5 on a 2011 board. Can I?
umm... I think not. theres only i7's for 2011. you'd be looking at an i7-3820 for lga 2011 probably. or 3570k with a z77 board.
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:29 PM.|